Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Last holden I will ever buy.

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
I don't see the SV6 as "performance" car like some guys mentioned here. It's a "sports" car.

Or maybe to some people sports and performance means the same thing......

I agree , that the SV6 is not a "high performance" car but really mate for what it is (na V6 engine in like a 1800 kg shell or whatever ) i recon they go pretty well (well IMO they do) .

BLU_FZ1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SVZ Ute/A5 & 06 XR6T A6
Having owned an ecotech VS S S2 ute, and now owning a VZ SV6 (the mid 05' model with more torque than the one you would probably have because of regulations that were imposed later on) I am definately going to say that all though the ute was a LOT of fun to throw around, the SV6 has more pull off the line than my ute had. My ute had 2.5" straight through, high flow cats, muffler, CAI and pacies with K&N and fro a 6, some muppets mistook it for an 8 (no seriously, there are a lot of muppets out there...).

If you wanted absolute outright performance without having to do anything yourself you should've bought an 8 instead of not having tested the car in the first place and now be bitching about what you have. I've also heard reports of people with the 05' model SV6's chopping the later ones with the lower torque. But seriously, get it checked.

I would not call the differnce of 5 NM between a pre Dec 05 and a post Jan 06 190 as having more torque,there SFA in it and not worth mentioning.

Holden claim that the motor is the High Output 190, only higher in output compared with the 175. The NA Barra 180 smokes the 190 in straight line performance.Ford had the right idea changing the diff ratio for the XR`s so it felt like it had a bit more grunt than the XT, Holden should have done the same with the SV6,SVZ and Calais.

coffee_mogul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SVZ Ute
Check out how Holden is promoting the current SV6 ute, which aside from the new body, has a similar spec.
"A true blue work horse, with high performance edge" now compare that to the omega ute
"Built to work, engineered to last, designed to enjoy". No mention of performance !
I distinctly remember similar phrases used to describe the VZ SVZ.
Clearly Holden think it is a High Performance car, and are promoting it as such.
Holden set the the expectation of performance with their promotional literature. I think I am justified in expecting a noticable difference in performance over the base model.
Like is said previously, it is all academic now. Nothing more than badge engineering.
The test drive revealed little about the ute, other than it is comfortable. Driving around suburban Sydney back streets with a 60kph speed limit doesnt allow much scope for testing the performance of a vehicle. A pushy salesman beside me, reminding me the car was new and to take it easy didnt help. how many of you have purchased new cars and driven them like you own them (enthusiastically) on the test drive ?
We all know V8s go well, but performance cars are not limited to engines with 8 or more cylinders or displacements greater than 5L. I can think of a few notable 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder performance cars.
To the die hard holden enthusiasts, your loyalty is commendable. I hope you are rewarded and none of you experience issues with your cars.

I have a work colleague that purchase an XR6 Turbo ute at the same time, and he has far worse quality issues. Leaking tray (from the wheel wells), miscellaneous rattles, loose trim and assembly quality issues. We joke that if his engine came fitted to the VZ body it would be the perfect combination.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thats like saying a turbo diesel is a performance car because it is turbocharged. You need to use a bit of common sense. Remember you aren't towing around a hatchback shell here, its a family sedan and therefore a 4 cylinder engine would not pull that kind of weight, hence why if you want performance, you get the V8, if you want a nice cruiser that is also good for towing etc, get the V6. I wouldn't give a **** what the salesman said. You are the customer and you are entitled to put the boot in and test it out.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
how many of you have purchased new cars and driven them like you own them (enthusiastically) on the test drive ?

I did my test drive by myself and that was in a R8 :) ... but i am mates with the manager at my holden.

As for pushy salesmen i tell them before hand that i like to go for a 30-40min test drive and will be using my own route not there lap of the block bullsh*t.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
I would not call the differnce of 5 NM between a pre Dec 05 and a post Jan 06 190 as having more torque,there SFA in it and not worth mentioning.

No, you're pretty right on that, I forgot just how minute the change was, but nontheless I have heard of (and I think it was in this forum somewhere) about an 05' SV6 beating an 06' sv6 off the line. Probably comes down to driver on that one though...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
What about the VZ Storm adverts on telly - kicking up a storm front - the only storm they kicked up in real life was a dodgey fuel gauge setup.:p

Advertizing gimicks - it's all a con to get money out of your pockets.

They ALL do it - every car maker.......... Everyone.:thumbsup:

BLU_FZ1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SVZ Ute/A5 & 06 XR6T A6
Check out how Holden is promoting the current SV6 ute, which aside from the new body, has a similar spec.
"A true blue work horse, with high performance edge" now compare that to the omega ute
"Built to work, engineered to last, designed to enjoy". No mention of performance !
I distinctly remember similar phrases used to describe the VZ SVZ.
Clearly Holden think it is a High Performance car, and are promoting it as such.
Holden set the the expectation of performance with their promotional literature. I think I am justified in expecting a noticable difference in performance over the base model.
Like is said previously, it is all academic now. Nothing more than badge engineering.
The test drive revealed little about the ute, other than it is comfortable. Driving around suburban Sydney back streets with a 60kph speed limit doesnt allow much scope for testing the performance of a vehicle. A pushy salesman beside me, reminding me the car was new and to take it easy didnt help. how many of you have purchased new cars and driven them like you own them (enthusiastically) on the test drive ?
We all know V8s go well, but performance cars are not limited to engines with 8 or more cylinders or displacements greater than 5L. I can think of a few notable 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder performance cars.
To the die hard holden enthusiasts, your loyalty is commendable. I hope you are rewarded and none of you experience issues with your cars.

I have a work colleague that purchase an XR6 Turbo ute at the same time, and he has far worse quality issues. Leaking tray (from the wheel wells), miscellaneous rattles, loose trim and assembly quality issues. We joke that if his engine came fitted to the VZ body it would be the perfect combination.

Wayne, your not the first person the mention the Commy ute with the XRT motor. I remember not long after i got my SVZ ( you got yours a week or so b4 me) that some ute mag tested the BF XRT ute ( they couldnt get hold of a NA XR) and the SVZ ute. The conclusion was that the SVZ was the better of the 2 all things considered, there ultimate ute was the SVZ with the Falcons motor. I am extemely happy with my ute, it goes alright for what it is and does every thing i need it to do. The reality of it is.....You purchased it because???
It was cheaper than the SV6 ute
It had from memory, around 6k of extras thrown in ( leather,big brakes,18"CV8R wheels)

I have done 45k km`s now in mine,,i still love it.No warranty issues at all. That cant be said about the VE SV6 we got for the mrs. I piity the poor sole that bought that POS

coffee_mogul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SVZ Ute
I have done 45k km`s now in mine,,i still love it.No warranty issues at all. That cant be said about the VE SV6 we got for the mrs. I piity the poor sole that bought that POS

I am not surprised by the warranty issues withthe VE. Unfortunately you need to wait for series II Commodores before the majority of the gremlins are sorted out.

coffee_mogul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SVZ Ute
Thats like saying a turbo diesel is a performance car because it is turbocharged. You need to use a bit of common sense. Remember you aren't towing around a hatchback shell here, its a family sedan and therefore a 4 cylinder engine would not pull that kind of weight, hence why if you want performance, you get the V8, if you want a nice cruiser that is also good for towing etc, get the V6. I wouldn't give a **** what the salesman said. You are the customer and you are entitled to put the boot in and test it out.

No not really, as that involves an assumption on your part that ALL turbo charged vehicles are performance cars.

Holden, in their promotional material STATE the car has a "High performance edge".