Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legal wheel spacers?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Its porbably been discussed to no end but is illegal the right term for defectable?

illegal is the term used for a modification that does not comply with Australian Design Rules and because that modification does not meet the adr's it becomes "illegal for road use"

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Sorry spacer is probably the wrong word was more thinking can you legally like weld some alloy to the rim and getting it all balanced basically permanently adding material to the rim to change the offset?

Also the brakes are getting an engineer certificate
I for one would be surprised if the engineer will certify the mod if there is insufficient clearance.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@saroadie thats why am asking if the offset can be changed on the standard SSV wheels because the clearance is less then a bees dick on them.
C8D7EE94-D33B-4919-BEB1-B522E9BE198F.jpeg
If it’s not possible to do then I have a new set of aftermarket wheels I’ll get with the right offset that works. I just like the factory ones.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi all as
Hi all as the title says is there a LEGAL way to add wheel spaces?

I have some 6-4 pot brembo’s to fit on my 15 SSV but unfortunately the standard wheels touch the back of the spokes to the face of the caliper.

I have picked a new set of wheels that I want but if there is any legal way to alter the factory wheels off set I would like to do that as I really like the way the standard wheels look.

I know you can change the barrel size on certain wheels but can you change the off set of your wheels?

the title says is there a LEGAL way to add wheel spaces?

I have some 6-4 pot brembo’s to fit on my 15 SSV but unfortunately the standard wheels touch the back of the spokes to the face of the caliper.

I have picked a new set of wheels that I want but if there is any legal way to alter the factory wheels off set I would like to do that as I really like the way the standard wheels look.

I know you can change the barrel size on certain wheels but can you change the off set of your wheels?
The rim needs to locate on the hub centre to take the sheer stresses of the wheel studs, this location messure assist whith the rotational wheel ballance also to my understanding. Modify the wheel offset permanently adding material so the centrebore locates and it may not be a issue. Possibly needs the wheel to be engineered to comply with vehicle mod safety.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
@saroadie thats why am asking if the offset can be changed on the standard SSV wheels because the clearance is less then a bees dick on them.
View attachment 203482
If it’s not possible to do then I have a new set of aftermarket wheels I’ll get with the right offset that works. I just like the factory ones.
Yep, my 0.02 is you'll be up for a wheel change. As expensive as that is, it's probably going to be the easiest in the end. You can always fleabay the old ones to ease the pain.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
View attachment 203482
not even a nano meter lol

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Nope it’s less then a poofteenth lol it dose technically spinning without touching but is way to close

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
View attachment 203482

You can add and take away from the centre plate to change the offset of a rim but technically speaking this is not caused by the offset, it's the flat centre design that's the problem which wasn't designed for fat callipers.

Fit some aftermarket rims with a better centre design for this purpose and turn the problem to your advantage by also going wider to fatten up the car's stance.

Additionally I'm also someone who doesn't have a problem with fitting spacers to road going cars as long as you take a sensible approach and keep them between 10 & 5mm.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
YOU sir, are obsessed. get a life and post something that contributes rather than Deputy Dog, eh?

Are you the new Sherriff in town ?
It's only a presumption, seeing that you've joined the forum today and are already advising members on how to post
Welcome aboard Chief