Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LLT to VF LFX engine swap requirements?

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
The LLT engine in my MY10 VE SV6 ute has recently died on me after running out of oil last year, running with reduced power and an engine light for a while, and now it sounds like it’s dropped a valve and won’t start after driving more than 5 mins. I haven’t had the money and didn’t think it was worth it to rebuild/replace timing chains, so I’ve just been trying to ride it out as long as I could. It’s got 240,000ks on it and several engine problems, some known, some unknown, so by my reasoning it’s not worth the money or effort to repair it, only for it to likely have more problems in the future.

Instead, I’m planning on swapping it for a newer, low km LFX engine, which will be cheaper, easier to find, lighter and more reliable than a new LLT. I’ve been able to find one with ~60,000ks for less than $1500 and will probably pick it up tomorrow.

I know this swap is possible because there’s a place in QLD that offers a drive in, drive out LLT to LFX swap. I just want to know if anyone here has had it done and can share any insight into the specific parts I’ll need to swap to do it.

I know I’ll need to swap the ECU and loom, and reprogram the BCM, but as the engine I’ve sourced is out of a FV not a VE II, I’ve heard I will also need to swap the sump. My question is will my LLT sump fit the VF LFX or will I need to also source a VE LFX sump? I’ve heard the VE catback should also mate to the VF headers, but I’ll have to source those headers as well. And as for reprogramming the BCM, I’ve heard I should be able to do this myself with some software which will cost a couple hundred, but my brother knows more of the specifics on this.

I’ve not heard anything about any other part incompatibilities, so if anyone has any other information, or corrections on what I’ve got here, I’d be very grateful.

Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The sump from your old engine should bolt on. Whatever shop you're talking about probably offers this conversion because the loom and ECU likely don't need to be swapped, largely the only difference between the two engines is .2 compression and the integrated exhaust manifolds.

I'd also use all the original sensors from your existing engine.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The LLT engine in my MY10 VE SV6 ute has recently died on me after running out of oil last year, running with reduced power and an engine light for a while, and now it sounds like it’s dropped a valve and won’t start after driving more than 5 mins. I haven’t had the money and didn’t think it was worth it to rebuild/replace timing chains, so I’ve just been trying to ride it out as long as I could. It’s got 240,000ks on it and several engine problems, some known, some unknown, so by my reasoning it’s not worth the money or effort to repair it, only for it to likely have more problems in the future.

Instead, I’m planning on swapping it for a newer, low km LFX engine, which will be cheaper, easier to find, lighter and more reliable than a new LLT. I’ve been able to find one with ~60,000ks for less than $1500 and will probably pick it up tomorrow.

I know this swap is possible because there’s a place in QLD that offers a drive in, drive out LLT to LFX swap. I just want to know if anyone here has had it done and can share any insight into the specific parts I’ll need to swap to do it.

I know I’ll need to swap the ECU and loom, and reprogram the BCM, but as the engine I’ve sourced is out of a FV not a VE II, I’ve heard I will also need to swap the sump. My question is will my LLT sump fit the VF LFX or will I need to also source a VE LFX sump? I’ve heard the VE catback should also mate to the VF headers, but I’ll have to source those headers as well. And as for reprogramming the BCM, I’ve heard I should be able to do this myself with some software which will cost a couple hundred, but my brother knows more of the specifics on this.

I’ve not heard anything about any other part incompatibilities, so if anyone has any other information, or corrections on what I’ve got here, I’d be very grateful.

Cheers
I'd be phoning the co. thats going to do the engine change & ask them what they need, to do the swap.
Easier to ask the people that are going to be doing the job. Then you've got all the answers to all your questions, & peace of mind.

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
I'd be phoning the co. thats going to do the engine change & ask them what they need, to do the swap.
Easier to ask the people that are going to be doing the job. Then you've got all the answers to all your questions, & peace of mind.
I’ll be doing the swap myself, not getting these guys to do it. I just mentioned them to show that it’s possible. I have sent them a message asking for information about the swap process but they haven’t replied, though I might give them a call if I can’t get any more answers on here.

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
The sump from your old engine should bolt on. Whatever shop you're talking about probably offers this conversion because the loom and ECU likely don't need to be swapped, largely the only difference between the two engines is .2 compression and the integrated exhaust manifolds.

I'd also use all the original sensors from your existing engine.
I’ll want to be quite sure whether the loom and ecu need to be swapped before pulling the trigger, and I’ve heard from a couple people that they probably do need to be.

One option I have is a brand new crate motor from the US for $3,800 (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3832285...ikTOaRnRC6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY)
The description says several parts including the sump, intake assembly and timing cover need to be swapped over to use the crate motor in a VF or VE II commodore, which is a LFX->LFX swap. It doesn’t say anything about swapping earlier models, but I assume I’ll have to at least do all of this with the crate motor. I’m guessing it’s a slightly updated model than what was in the commodores.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I’ll want to be quite sure whether the loom and ecu need to be swapped before pulling the trigger, and I’ve heard from a couple people that they probably do need to be.

One option I have is a brand new crate motor from the US for $3,800 (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3832285...ikTOaRnRC6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY)
The description says several parts including the sump, intake assembly and timing cover need to be swapped over to use the crate motor in a VF or VE II commodore, which is a LFX->LFX swap. It doesn’t say anything about swapping earlier models, but I assume I’ll have to at least do all of this with the crate motor. I’m guessing it’s a slightly updated model than what was in the commodores.
That motor Free local pickup from Urangan, QLD, Australia.

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
That motor Free local pickup from Urangan, QLD, Australia.
Says it’s got free shipping Aus wide as well so shouldn’t be a problem

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They're both the same type of Bosch Motronic system with the same type of Bosch direct injection and the same high pressure fuel pump. The physical engines and all their associated electronics are like 99% similar, at least in terms of one running the other. I doubt the BCM has anything to do with this as it has nothing to do with engine management, but the ECU is not an unplug and plug-in job, particularly not from the VF, so you'll need a pretty good scan tool to get the features you'll need.
The description says several parts including the sump, intake assembly and timing cover need to be swapped over to use the crate motor in a VF or VE II commodore, which is a LFX->LFX swap, but I assume I’ll have to at least do all of this with the crate motor. I’m guessing it’s a slightly updated model than what was in the commodores.
This is likely because it's a FWD or AWD long block used in US models that we don't get that have model/platform specific parts and routing.
It doesn’t say anything about swapping earlier models
Nobody does it. So much of the engine management is different between the SIDI and non-SIDI engines it might as well be an engine conversion in a different car.

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
They're both the same type of Bosch Motronic system with the same type of Bosch direct injection and the same high pressure fuel pump. The engines and all it's associated electronics are like 99% similar, at least in terms of one running the other. I doubt the BCM has anything to do with this as it has nothing to do with engine management, but the ECU is not an unplug and plug-in job, particularly not from the VF, so you'll need a pretty good scan tool to get the features you'll need.

This is likely because it's a FWD or AWD long block used in US models that we don't get that have model/platform specific parts and routing.

Nobody does it. So much of the engine management is different between the SIDI and non-SIDI engines it might as well be an engine conversion in a different car.
Can you clarify your last point? Do you mean nobody would use that particular crate motor for an LLT swap? By “earlier models” I meant the LLT specifically, which is an SIDI engine, so I imagined using this crate motor wouldn’t be much different than swapping for an LFX sourced from a commodore.