Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at buying VF SSV Redline

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
Howdy all, new member. So I'll be upfront and say I've been a Ford bloke ever since I was a kid and I currently own an FPV FG Mk2 GT with the SC 5.0L and manual trans. Loved the car when I first got it, that engine is addictive and a magical thing...but then I started to notice issues with it and Ford are being less than helpful and I've lost my love for the car unfortunately.

So I went and had a test drive of an Auto VF SSV Redline which had been lowered and had a W310 pack on it (which from what I've read so far is rather overpriced, but does have the advantage of maintaining warranty) and I was hugely surprised at how much I actually enjoyed driving the VF. I'd driven a mates VF SSV ute before which was manual and when the VF first came out I'd drive an auto SS...but I don't know, maybe I was just in a more receptive headspace this week and found the Redline to be really enjoyable to drive. The Brembos felt so much stronger/had more bite than the ones in my GT and the auto gearbox was really smooth and nice to just cruise around with. The FE3 suspension also felt nicer to drive around in than my GT which has Shockworks coilovers fitted.

The rear IRS suspension setup on the falcons can EAD. It's 2014, diff bushes really shouldn't be an issue anymore! You either keep spitting the factory ones (which give crazy axle tramp, to the point it sounds like the diff is about to come through the floor of the car) or if you fit stiffer aftermarket ones the rear end clunks, bangs and whines and detracts from the feel of driving a modern GT. My car has only done 7,000kms and I destroyed my control blade bushes on my FPV driver training day and was advised to do the diff bushes at the same time...my rear end now sounds ridiculous, so much clunking and banging and tailshaft vibration/hum...eh

In contrast the Redline was super quiet, comfortable and all-in-all a nice place to be. I really didn't feel fast at all compared to the GT, but just felt a whole heap more sophisticated and refined. The interior in the GT is getting extremely long in the tooth now and the stereo has an inherit hiss that you can't get rid of an only gets worse when adding aftermarket amps etc. Have any of you guys added audio processors, amps etc to the VF's? Is there any extra noise? Or is it nice and quiet?

Then there's fuel economy...I'd be lucky if I got 400kms out of a tank of fuel around town in the GT, where as I've been reading of people easily getting 500kms a tank from the VF SS's around town in auto guise? The AFM system must really help out eh?

The auto in the Redline was super smooth and I could happily drive that around sedately. The new models I've read come with paddle shifters, so that would probably be a nice compromise for when I wanted to go for a blat through the hills and actually drive the car more aggressively.

The Redline also comes with factory forged alloys in staggered arrangement and higher profile tyres, something my GT never did, which is a nice touch. Made the ride a lot more comfortable than I'm used to. All the gadgets and tech were cool too, I liked the HUD more than I thought I would.

I've been offered $55k from a Ford dealer for my GT, which pretty much puts it on par price-wise to the Redline by the time I sell the coilovers and wider rear wheels I have...but I'm still not 100% over the line here. I know this is a holden forum, so I wanted to hear from guys who own these cars and live with them everyday. Have any of you come from Ford/FPV? Any regrets? Sell it to me guys haha.

Cheers,
GG

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
My VF redline is the first holden I have owned, I have had the Harrop 315 package fitted which also comes with warranty and was arranged by the dealer. My car is the manual and all up excluding rear Brembo's cost me $55600.00 with towbar and Harrop pack. So far have done 13000 km and am really happy with it. I was thinking of getting the new falcon but when I heard the interior was not getting a major overhaul I lost interest. ( I have an XR6 ute with Herrod upgrades also and the interior compared to the redline sucks). Like I say my first ever Holden and I really like it, it has features my $150000 Audi did not have and it seems fairly well put together and very good value for money. Yes I at this stage would buy another.

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
Hi graphicgoose, thanks for the post - some interesting comparisons. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the VF SS. One thing to be aware of is that the MY16 Commodore SS is expected to get the 6.2-litre LS3 engine and steering wheel gearshift paddles (the latter currently limited to the SS V Redline). If/when this happens, prices for the current SS V Redline could take a bit of a hit.

vl_nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon, VF Redline
The paddles are an option on the SS, SS-V, and SV6.

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
6.2 is roumoured for ssv redline only

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
My VF redline is the first holden I have owned, I have had the Harrop 315 package fitted which also comes with warranty and was arranged by the dealer. My car is the manual and all up excluding rear Brembo's cost me $55600.00 with towbar and Harrop pack. So far have done 13000 km and am really happy with it. I was thinking of getting the new falcon but when I heard the interior was not getting a major overhaul I lost interest. ( I have an XR6 ute with Herrod upgrades also and the interior compared to the redline sucks). Like I say my first ever Holden and I really like it, it has features my $150000 Audi did not have and it seems fairly well put together and very good value for money. Yes I at this stage would buy another.

That's the sort of info and feedback I was chasing, thanks. Sounds like you got an awesome deal on your car! Have been looking up the Harrop packs now after reading your post and they seem much better value for money than the Walkinshaw ones. What did the 315 package set you back? Do the Harrop packs maintain the AFM and decent fuel consumption? The pack that comes with the blower would be nice...but I'd imagine would blow the fuel consumption out of the water at which point.

Going to drive a mates VF with OTR and tune today, he rates it highly...and that's saying something given the guy also has a 400rwkw F6 Typhoon.

I'm trying to think about this from a practicality point of view, as will be my only car/daily so I'm after something that's a bit more of an all round package, rather than just a great motor in a very average car like the falcon.

I'd be getting a MY15 Redline with the paddle shifters. I've read about the rumours of the 6.2 LS3...and maybe I'll look into one of those down the track, but all I know for now is that I won't be happy in my GT for the next year or two.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I am also a Ford convert and am driving a Redline which is my first ever GM vehicle. I have had it for 11 months.
I love it and bought it for all the reasons you mentioned about the Fords. Its just newer, far more refined and a nicer place to be.
The interior is really what i was most impressed with and the level of tech that it comes with.

My only criticism is that the standard exhaust is too quiet but if you are going for a W310 pack or similar, that wont be an issue.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

What dealer did you buy from? That seems like a good price.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I too am a Ford covert. I was on my way to buy one of the last F6s from my local dealer but ended up with a demo Calais V 6 litre. A much more modern car than my FG. I have modified it to suit myself. Externally it looks stock but I have installed a 2 inch system with powder coated pacemaker extractors, 100 CPI Cats from KPM. Love the sound and much better than the X-force I first had on it. It has an OTR and been tuned twice (I wasn't all that happy with the first tune). I upgraded the from brakes and installed Pedders top of the range shocks.

I love the car, the interior, sat nav, sunroof, good leather and all the electronics I now have the car the way I have it and so glad the Ford dealer messed me about so that I looked at the GMH. Finally, the auto is not quite as good as the ZF in the Ford but there is not much in it. But the Holden box is tough and no worry about milkshakes. The Holden does not seem to suffer the bush problems of the Ford. Like the OP said, the Ford motor probably is better but the basic car is a 2008 design. I would not swap my hybrid Calais V for a new Ford V8 at all and I have been driving Fords since 1968.

Bob

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual