Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking to buy a Calais V Tourer

green_comet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST
I actually spoke to the salesman over the phone and told him I was sitting at around $35k drive away, he told me they won't go that low considering it's a June 2019 complied car with a tow bar, but they can wiggle the price down a bit into the high 30's. He said if it was a pre-July 18 complied car (before the 5 years warranty) they'd get it to around 35k. I told him I'll come down tomorrow and check it out, I can got up a little but if they're not moving much I'll just go elsewhere.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
it's a June 2019 complied car ..... if it was a pre-July 18 complied car

This thing was built in May 2018.

Not your problem that it was sitting in a holding yard somewhere in Europe coz they stopped the boats due to slow moving stock.

In this instance, the compliance date means SFA.

green_comet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST
This thing was built in May 2018.

Not your problem that it was sitting in a holding yard somewhere in Europe coz they stopped the boats due to slow moving stock.

In this instance, the compliance date means SFA.

I think he was referring to fact the factory 5 year warranty started in June this year instead of some time last year, meaning you're getting a longer warranty tha nmost of the other ex-demo cars out there. I certainly don't think it's worth a price premium though, I just wanted a tow bar lol.

Last edited:

SteveRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
To be honest the car ticks all the boxes for us, the only thing putting me off is the terrible future resale and the fuel consumption.[/QUOTE]

I'm not having a go, but expecting $20000 off the RRP and then expecting good resale seems a little unrealistic.
The massive discounting due to poor sales is what kills its resale value.
I don't think you can have it both ways.

Last edited:

green_comet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST
To be honest the car ticks all the boxes for us, the only thing putting me off is the terrible future resale and the fuel consumption.

I'm not having a go, but expecting $20000 off the RRP and then expecting good resale seems a little unrealistic.
I don't think you can have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

Na I totally get it, it's just something I need to wrap my head around and come to terms with. I'd hate to not be happy with the car in a year or two and it's impossible to sell.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
" I'd hate to not be happy with the car in a year or two and it's impossible to sell."

Very good point.
I absolutely loved my new LH Torana…. for a week. After 12 months I was all too eager to get rid of the POS. Selling it was easy.

SteveRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I don't think you can have it both ways.

Na I totally get it, it's just something I need to wrap my head around and comes to terms with. I'd hate to not be happy with the car in a year or two and it's impossible to sell.[/QUOTE]

That's understandable. I suppose the way I view it is this :-
Buy a $60000 car and sell it after 5 years for $30000 = 50% retained value, cost $30000
Buy a $40000 car and sell it after 5 years for $10000 = 25% retained value, cost $30000.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
To be honest the car ticks all the boxes for us, the only thing putting me off is the terrible future resale and the fuel consumption.

I don't think you can have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

:) ^^^ This ^^^ :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
ZB sales simply haven’t been where Holden expected them to be which is why there was a hold on the boats bringing them into the country. That could be due to a number of factors but key in my mind was that the Calais asking price was simply too high. If it had a turbo V6 or a v8 that asking price could have been more tolerable. As is, I simply think it was overpriced for the Holden buyers and sadly Holden didn’t learn anything from their Opel experiment. Just like the Opel debarkle, the dealer didn’t promote the ZB as they should have.

As is, it’s laughable that some customer enquiring about a ZB knows more than the sales people who should be spruking their product’s virtues. It may be a great car in the same way as for example the Kia stinger is a great car (in isolation) but the ZB opledoore is simply not sold by what the market considers a premium marquee, so price needs to be adjusted downwards which the market has done.

The result of such things is that the depreciation is rather bad when considering the initial RRP, probably not so bad when one factors in the seemingly current $20K discount.

The other concern is how long will Holden be supporting this vehicle when their ZB supply contract ends soon. Will they continue with the PSA product? Will they orphan this ZB so parts supply/support results in crazy costs (as I expect they would be the case)?

It may be a great car in isolation but the whole package? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.With such uncertainty, I’d want a B I G discount to entice me to look past such issues.

And on that front, this is the thread post I was referring too about a member buying a ZB for $20k less than RRP.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Yes if the supply of parts becomes hard and I mean panels not engine parts then the chance of a car being written off is more likely if involved in a bad smash. I am insuring my Calais V at the upper end of the allowable range for agreed value. I find it interesting that my Calais V is 1 year old and the maximum agreed value is 43000.