Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loosing water but no obvious leaks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The water loss stopped for a while and then came back, on afternoon I parked the car and then heard boiling water rumble through the cap. I squeezed the overflow and it stopped, so I suspect a new cap is in order!

Went to visit the Holden Dealership at Newmarket only to find the building demolished, so I will stop in at Repco soon and get a new cap.

What's the deal with Holden Dealers? are they all out of business? Where do people get OEM parts from now?

Alot have changed to another brand of car...It'd be a case of chasing up what they changed to and see if they have the parts in stock...

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
So, time for an update!

A few weeks ago I replaced the inlet manifold gaskets and checked everything, no sign of anything major but some gunk had built up against the gasket on the blocked of ports.

It still looses about 1/2 to 1 cup a day if used all day. When parked after a good run, there is a rumbling sound and water(steam) is pushing into the overflow tank for 1-2minutes.

I re-read all the replies (and thanks for taking the time to respond), I bought the gasket set from Repco, but I remember when I originally did the inlet gaskets they were metal??? Can you still get these as I think the after market ones are pretty cheap in quality.

Oil is good, black and not milky (I change it religiously at 5000klm intervals)... had a few changes since the original post and all good.

Sid

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
Thanks - I will look into that and get a set while I can.

Would a 1996 VS ute with a 3.8L Ecotech engine use the same inlet gaskets as a 1999 VT Sedan?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yes they are the same gasket.

Have you checked your radiator cap? It may not be sealing and it's loosing water past the seal. Park your car nose down a slight incline and then check for drips.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks - I will look into that and get a set while I can.

Would a 1996 VS ute with a 3.8L Ecotech engine use the same inlet gaskets as a 1999 VT Sedan?
Those metal parts go all the ecotec v6.
Its only end valley seals that are different. Vs - vt s1? have the blue end seals. vt s2 ? - vy s2 have the orange end seal.
I believe they now come with both coloured end seals, when buying?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
May be a fault with thermostat causing it get a bit hotter than spec,
so it extracts the water and doesn’t recover it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The water loss stopped for a while and then came back, on afternoon I parked the car and then heard boiling water rumble through the cap. I squeezed the overflow and it stopped, so I suspect a new cap is in order!

Went to visit the Holden Dealership at Newmarket only to find the building demolished, so I will stop in at Repco soon and get a new cap.

What's the deal with Holden Dealers? are they all out of business? Where do people get OEM parts from now?
My go to is still Zupps Aspley but you need to phone and order rather than rock up bc you won't likely get to talk to the parts people (Mark) otherwise.
Also most stuff still comes from Eagers Newstead so try there as well.

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
Those metal parts go all the ecotec v6.
Its only end valley seals that are different. Vs - vt s1? have the blue end seals. vt s2 ? - vy s2 have the orange end seal.
I believe they now come with both coloured end seals, when buying?

Yes the kit I bought had two sets of end seals, 1 fits the other doesn't.

I will grab a metal kit ASAP and hold it in stock.

Sid

Reactions: Lex

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
Yes they are the same gasket.

Have you checked your radiator cap? It may not be sealing and it's loosing water past the seal. Park your car nose down a slight incline and then check for drips.

Yes, I have replaced it a few times over the years... but I did buy it from REPCO so maybe the quality is not the same as the original.

Is it possible I am loosing water under pressure? Maybe out of the radiator? I noticed a green spot under the radiator on the opposite side to the filler but not pooling on the ground (so no obvious leak)....