Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loosing water but no obvious leaks

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yes, I have replaced it a few times over the years... but I did buy it from REPCO so maybe the quality is not the same as the original.

Is it possible I am loosing water under pressure? Maybe out of the radiator? I noticed a green spot under the radiator on the opposite side to the filler but not pooling on the ground (so no obvious leak)....
If you can, get a genuine cap, seems aftermarket are not up to the job?

I was able to get a oem cap a few years ago?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yes, I have replaced it a few times over the years... but I did buy it from REPCO so maybe the quality is not the same as the original.

Is it possible I am loosing water under pressure? Maybe out of the radiator? I noticed a green spot under the radiator on the opposite side to the filler but not pooling on the ground (so no obvious leak)....

I've been facing the same issue, and only when I parked my car nose down hill I noticed the puddle. Nose up, no puddle.

Something to consider and hopefully help you find it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Might be time to pressure test the cooling system to find the leak. Steam coming from the overflow suggests it's not holding pressure and boiling when you shut down the engine which normally means the radiator cap is faulty unless the engine is severely overheating.

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
Well that's two things to try:

I do have a part of the driveway where I can park it nose down, so I will do that.

The temp gauge is sitting at 1/4 - 1/3 so it would indicate the thermostat is working properly I think and the engine is not showing ANY signs of over heating...so that would leave the radiator cap again.

Sid

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
This might sound like a stupid question but when the cap is screwed down, it should be water tight correct?

So the spring opens under pressure when the engine is hot?

I pulled the hose off the top of the radiator and when I squeeze the bottom hose a few time (when stone cold) water is splattering out the overflow pipe! - so no seal at all!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
when cold take radiator cap off
drive into a radiator shop
have them pressure test your radiator and cap

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
I grabbed a new CPC radiator cap on Friday, Bursons stock them at their Brendale store. All the other stores stock Tridon and when you query them on their generic OEM replacement caps they turn out to be Tridon as well when they do a lookup on the ordering source. I've done two of those caps in 2 years and they really are crap.

I parked the VT nose down hill for 2 days there was no water loss anywhere and so far there are no issues with the new cap, it seals well and the vacuum draw back is working as expected. Will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Sid

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
I'm glad you followed up with an outcome for other readers. Happy it's resolved. :)

Reactions: Lex