Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just fired up the new motor on Taylor just now. I'm going to need to figure out the throttle position for starting. Because it's not full throttle like the old motor was. It would seem like it needs to be just cracked or maybe no throttle above idle. I tried it on full and it wouldn't fire. Dropped it back to throttle closed and it fired up. Might need to charge the battery tomorrow as I cranked it over a lot until I worked it out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the gunwale end caps on tonight. The first one was a mongrel thing and needed a lot ground out of it to make it fit. I reckon I spent over an hour grinding it before it would fit and look nice and like it was meant to be there. Got it done in the end and it came up quite nice. The second side was pretty easy and probably took less than 30 mins to mount it. Never knew just how hard 316 stainless is. The angle grinder barely took anything off with each swipe. On the first one I needed to take off about 7mm on the top edge and about 4mm from the bottom edge. The second one only needed a couple mm off the top and bottom and fitted quite nicely after that.

Waiting on the pinchweld now. It was picked up last Wednesday and last I looked it hadn't arrived in Melbourne yet. Hopefully it's here by Thursday so I have it for Friday, but it might be Monday before it arrives or even Tuesday the way things take so long to arrive.

20240226_194807.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got an estimate on the perspex panels yesterday and the price will be around $220 inc. I thought that's pretty good and said I will go ahead once I retire Taylor for the winter. I now need to figure out the frame and how I go about sandblasting it. I can do it myself but that will mean spending $60 on a bag of garnet, or I pay to have it bead blasted which will cost more but I won't have to go through the un-pleasantries of doing it myself.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Got an estimate on the perspex panels yesterday and the price will be around $220 inc. I thought that's pretty good and said I will go ahead once I retire Taylor for the winter. I now need to figure out the frame and how I go about sandblasting it. I can do it myself but that will mean spending $60 on a bag of garnet, or I pay to have it bead blasted which will cost more but I won't have to go through the un-pleasantries of doing it myself.
Don't blast it Just paint strip it.
You going to repaint it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't blast it Just paint strip it.
You going to repaint it?
I have paint stripped it already and it didn't all come off in every single spot and there is some corrosion from under press studs and areas i need to get clean enough to fill with Devcon. I don't think I have many other options to get it really clean and prepped for paint? Plus there is silicone residue I need to get off, mostly in the channels. It's quite bad and needs a lot of work. I'd really like to have them bead blasted but if the 40mins I think it should take triples, I will be wishing I did it myself.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pinchweld arrived at the PO today. It was a surprise as I never got a notification that it was in the state. Last notification I got was it leaving Melbourne. Managed to get it on after first aid training this arvo. Finished the edge off really nice and white looks a lot better than black pinchweld, which was steel and not aluminium one which is needed for boats. Plus the old one was too narrow and didn't sit right.

20240301_173557.jpg

20240301_173613.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Took Taylor out just now. Motor pulls a lot harder off the line, even with four of us in the boat. I reckon it might even pull a skier out of the water. It seems to get up to about 65kph, whereas the old Johnson maxed out at 55 and at about 50 going against the current up the river. I don't think its getting full throttle as 3/4 the revs are about the same as WOT and the speed is still only getting 65 from what I can tell. 60 is plenty fast enough anyway, it's more about how quickly I can get up to about 40-50kph. At 60 in the chop its a little loose anyway, I suspect it's due to it having a fairly flat bottom. One weird thing the steering wheel seems to be out of alignment and I'm not sure how, or it the wind and current was pushing me and the wheel being off-centre was just a result of the former while trying to go straight. Might be something I need looked at?

Over the winter I will try and get the tacho working. I may need to book it in, because being aftermarket I'm not confident in my ability to get it connected up correctly. The OEM one is all plug and play, except for the lighting, but the aftermarket one matches my speedo.

Plan is to get the windscreen panels made in about six weeks (finances permitting). Still debating what to do about bead blasting or garnet blasting the windscreen frame. I'm tempted to maybe wire wheel it, and sand it to keep the cost down, and not having to contend with garnet blasting at home and it getting everywhere.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Blasting around at Penguin. Went to go in and there's no way we're getting in on that boat ramp, there's only about 1 foot of water. I already had to jump out and push off as I was touching the bottom. Now waiting for petrol to arrive so I can drive to Ulverstone and use the boat ramp there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is the tide out?
If its out at Penquin, it'll be out at Ulverstone?

Tide was out. Difference is Ulverstone ramp is in a river and it's deep. Talking to a bloke just now and he laughed when I said I went out at Penguin. He said he'd never been out there but after looking he knew it was too shallow.

Reactions: Lex