Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My idea is to try again to fill the fine scratches with the black wax. I don't know how successful it will be. I will allow an hour or two between coats if I can. Being a black ute you can polish out every scratch and go back 30 mins later and somehow more scratches magically appear. I have chosen to get the bonnet professionally done as at some point the bar cover will be replaced with a freshly painted one. This will mean I have a pretty clean front, and with also new wiper arms and a new windscreen at some point. I'll have a go at the tonnneau with the rotary before I black wax it.
I want longevity, I get plenty of shine and I can do that myself no worries. I just can't remember how long ago I waxed it as it's just starting to lose that big beading it had a few months ago.
Like I said it's all a bit experimental I'm certainly no professional detailer and just trying something different to see if I get a better lasting result than I did last time.
If it doesn't work I'll try something else next time. I'd really love to give the graphene a go but I have a ton of product now, and should stop buying more gear.... If Turtle Wax graphene comes on sale I will probably grab one, haha..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I went to Instant Windscreens today to have my windscreen assessed. It has a few small chips from a spray of stones a few months ago. They said it's not bad enough and won't develop cracks from the chips. They basically won't support a claim and it would get rejected by my insurer. Sucks because mine has the classic common VE dirty water marks all along the top of the seal.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I went to Instant Windscreens today to have my windscreen assessed. It has a few small chips from a spray of stones a few months ago. They said it's not bad enough and won't develop cracks from the chips. They basically won't support a claim and it would get rejected by my insurer. Sucks because mine has the classic common VE dirty water marks all along the top of the seal.
Give the windscreen a buff. Good way to get rid of watermarks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The dirty water marks are between the rubber seal and glass. Unfortunately they can be removed without a new screen.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20220512_094001_resized.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the shmuts can not be felt on the surface of the glass, then your windscreen is delaminating…

To me it looks like something (air, water, etc) has gotten between the two glass sheets and the plastic inter-laminate and the bonding between these parts is failing… Such can occur if the windscreen edge isn’t correctly sealed…

Personally I’ve never experienced windscreen delamination in any car I’ve owned so it’s not normal in my view and indicative of a manufacturing or installation fault. But as you bought private, no ACL stat warranty and it’s something you have to fix…

If you are lucky, you’ll be unlucky on some country road and a stone will smash the windscreen where your problem will be solved :rolleyes:

PS: windscreens provide structural strength to the vehicle body during rollover so who knows how much a delaminating windscreen compromises such strength. I’d be changing the windscreen over a window banner…

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I would try a different windscreen joint to go for the claim

Delimitation in the glass is a issue that can only be addressed by a new windscreen

It will keep on creaping into view and blocking vision, or, fail eventually

Whilst it is in the tinted area of the screen, you are still meant to be able to see through the tint

I would say it "could" block the view of traffic lights at certain times, thus making it a safety issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm pretty sure it's between the seal and glass. The seal has not done its job. It happens a bit on the VE. It's not hugely common but it happens to others as well.