Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud bang from right rear quarter!!! Wtf is it???

sideways 5.7 ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 5.7 ss commodore
hey guys i have a 2005 vz ss, it has been making a really loud thump/bang noise in the drivers side back corner on a hard 1st to 2nd gear change and also when ever the right rear wheel is under any sort of pressure and the road is bumpy... it will bang... bang bang. i thought it was the bushes so i replaced them but it hasnt helped at all... i work at Holden and got the head mechanic to look under the car and see what he thought and he didnt really find anything... dont think he really cared haha -.- i am so frustrated with it i have got under it my self and looked everywhere and cant find anything... also if u hold it in 1st gear and hit on and off with the accelerator it will bang, with each pump of the accelerator and as the car jolts forward it will bang.... please give me your thoughts on what it could be, it is also lowered i have seriously thought about it being the shocks so replaced them not the problem maybe the springs??? :S maybe moving inside where they sit..? idk

cheers jackson

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Inhale a similar noise I can't find, I also have alot of backlash, makes a massive bang when I kickdown and play with the acc on and off.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Check your diff, when was the last time you changed the oil in it? Also check the diff mount.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Back lash in the diff is what it sounds like to me or check for movement in the right site drive shaft.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Auto or manual ???? Also does your car have a towbar? How many klms ???

sideways 5.7 ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 5.7 ss commodore
yeh kingswood same thing it sounds like, just put a new diff in, new oil all that ****, but ill check the right drive shaft, no towbar and 150000...

sideways 5.7 ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 5.7 ss commodore
i couldnt find any movement in anything around the diff, bolts are all tight... is it possible that the spring coils are hitting each other? :S

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
There's alot of movement in the springs, I highly doubt it'd be coils touching. It'd hit bump stops first. Just so you know, I wasn't talking about the commi, I have these noises in the Kingswood. If everything is tight, I would imagine it being inside the diff. Did you check the top shock mounts? They make a fair bit of noise