Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

Playz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2
These kinda stories make it so hard lol
I would prefer to keep the factory rake or something like it as I’m not a huge fan of the, too many bricks in the boot look.

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
I would just keep the standard height. Just improve the quality of the suspension parts. It stops a lot of problems. It will handle as intended (a lot really low setups don't handle as well as original). What if you have 4 friends in the car? or load it up for a holiday? You limit the cars usefulness and scrape a lot more than necessary.

AllanT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SSV Gen3
No adjustment to the rear just the front down by another 15mm. The pedders dudes said they measure from the rim to guard lip so that's what I did. Found the 15mm difference doing both ways though.
I have same issue went with the 20mm kit, with 2954 in front and 2955 in rear.. the rear went down 30mm full tank, the front went down 12mm i guess, supposed to be at least 20mm, cant see it dropping much further, i cant see your pictures, but what was the part number they fitted to get it down further..? 220092? postpic please.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I would just keep the standard height. Just improve the quality of the suspension parts. It stops a lot of problems. It will handle as intended (a lot really low setups don't handle as well as original). What if you have 4 friends in the car? or load it up for a holiday? You limit the cars usefulness and scrape a lot more than necessary.
Like what parts could be upgraded?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
I kept standard shocks and went with ssl king spring fronts and sslhd rears, the hd rears are for the wagons and utes and i find they have less of a floaty feel rather then the regular ssl. They have been the same height front and back and havrnt had any issues with them!
Resized_20181111_163913.jpeg

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
Like what parts could be upgraded?
If it FE3 on a Redline, I wouldn't change it at all, as it's such a great handling car already. If it's FE2 on an SS, (for me I wouldn't change it either) keep it simple, springs, shocks and swaybars. Any good suspension shop, like Pedders or others, would have a good setup that matches the car, at standard height. Or just lower the front slightly, like some have done, to make it look more level. Most owners lower for the looks not for handling.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My Ute has the same ride height front and rear, 360mm from the guard lip to the hub centre.

Holden has already built what looks like a natural rake into the car, the measurement at the front and rear of the side skirts of my car is exactly the same yet it looks like it rakes to the front because of the illusion Holden has devised by having a cut out starting a bit more than half way along the skirting to the back, this is then helped to give a raked look by the noticeable difference in the clearance of the front bar and rear quarter.

IMG_3861a.jpg

If you have concerns with getting the ride height perfect than save up a bit more cash for coilovers.

And as good as the handling of the stock FE3 is it can be improved on and I’m one of those people who always lowers my cars and I also want to improve its handling characteristics at the same time and to do that you need to take it to someone who knows how to set up a car to suit your needs.

Franchises like Pedders aren’t necessarily good at that aspect.

My Ute turns in beautifully, far better than stock and as I'm also a believer in fitting good tyres so it sticks to the road unless I choose to flick it out.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1170330439664930&id=333336473364335&width=500"

app-facebook

Road2Race Chassis Tuning
about 3 years ago
The instructions for this brand new SS VF Ute was low low low.........!!...... and to this extent I gave it everything I had with the install of some coil overs whilst also making sure that I didn't destroy the safety & handling credentials of a show room new vehicle...........

13086662_1170317269666247_3000676349168768219_o.jpg

Last edited:

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
View attachment 202735

Hmmm, lowering the front to make it look more level?
It's not what I think, it's what a lot of people on this forum like. They put shorter springs on the front than on the back.
I like the height of it standard. I don't want to scrape exhaust or front bumbers when going up driveways or speed humps, especially when loaded for road trips.
And for the normal enthusiastic driver, the SS and Redline handle well enough for nice benndy roads or the odd track day. When I was young my friends would have to get out of my LJ torana and help lift it over large speed humps. And, whilst my vh handled great on the track, some complained about it being a bit too hard on the road.