Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
It's not what I think, it's what a lot of people on this forum like. They put shorter springs on the front than on the back.
I like the height of it standard. I don't want to scrape exhaust or front bumbers when going up driveways or speed humps, especially when loaded for road trips.
And for the normal enthusiastic driver, the SS and Redline handle well enough for nice benndy roads or the odd track day. When I was young my friends would have to get out of my LJ torana and help lift it over large speed humps. And, whilst my vh handled great on the track, some complained about it being a bit too hard on the road.

2016-Holden-Commodore-SV6-Black-rq.jpeg

IMG_20161006_134917_749.jpg

Fair enough. I'm with Panhead on this though. The rake in the body Holden built in makes a flat sitting car look quite raked anyway. The swage line starts below the top of the front wheel arch but is quite a way above the rear arch. The standard rear-high suspension stance coupled with the raked styling looks anaemic compared with mine and the front tyre to arch gap looks 4WD IMO.
2016-holden-commodore-vf2-ssv-redline-30_rxuq3w.jpg

IMG_20161006_135020_100.jpg

Mine is 365 rear and 370 front. Sills measure level but Holden scalloped the rear half so it still looks raked there too.
I used springs and shocks (Bilstein) and handling is improved over FE2. A friend reckons it handles better then his Clubsport.
I've not scraped over speed humps. Just needs a little caution with approach angles sometimes. Well worth the gains.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
It's not what I think, it's what a lot of people on this forum like. They put shorter springs on the front than on the back.
I like the height of it standard. I don't want to scrape exhaust or front bumbers when going up driveways or speed humps, especially when loaded for road trips.
And for the normal enthusiastic driver, the SS and Redline handle well enough for nice benndy roads or the odd track day. When I was young my friends would have to get out of my LJ torana and help lift it over large speed humps. And, whilst my vh handled great on the track, some complained about it being a bit too hard on the road.
Sure it's not the other way round?? I've got sssl springs in the rear and ssl in the front.. sits 355mm for the back and 360mm at the front.

I left the stock shocks in for a while but have recently put Monroe short shocks in which made a huge difference.

paulgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 Calais V
Sure it's not the other way round?? I've got sssl springs in the rear and ssl in the front.. sits 355mm for the back and 360mm at the front.

I left the stock shocks in for a while but have recently put Monroe short shocks in which made a huge difference.
Yes, i had it the wrong way around. I've just been looking at a few different threads and I have seen both, but most put lower on rear than front. I still prefer the look of the standard height front/rear (4wd look?).

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
View attachment 202741
View attachment 202742
Fair enough. I'm with Panhead on this though. The rake in the body Holden built in makes a flat sitting car look quite raked anyway. The swage line starts below the top of the front wheel arch but is quite a way above the rear arch. The standard rear-high suspension stance coupled with the raked styling looks anaemic compared with mine and the front tyre to arch gap looks 4WD IMO.
View attachment 202743
View attachment 202744
Mine is 365 rear and 370 front. Sills measure level but Holden scalloped the rear half so it still looks raked there too.
I used springs and shocks (Bilstein) and handling is improved over FE2. A friend reckons it handles better then his Clubsport.
I've not scraped over speed humps. Just needs a little caution with approach angles sometimes. Well worth the gains.
Looks nice! Although I'm a fan of stock height too. I've got to do something with my Redline though. It still handles well enough, but it's as soft as a FE1.5 Calais, body rolls a lot and is squirrely in the rear under hard acceleration.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Looks nice! Although I'm a fan of stock height too. I've got to do something with my Redline though. It still handles well enough, but it's as soft as a FE1.5 Calais, body rolls a lot and is squirrely in the rear under hard acceleration.
I found just the kingsprings on the fe3 shocks and revised rear sway bar set up has tightened it up from the standard springs, you might even consider the sl/slhd option wich isnt as low as mine above but might give you that firmer feel and more sportier look without being to low. $500 installed isnt a bad upgrade.

I also saw some photos of the vf2 reveal and it seems like holden had a lower ride height to be more appealing then the factory height. Some vf2 redlines ive seen out and about almost look like theyve had lift kits in comparison.
vflaunch.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I found just the kingsprings on the fe3 shocks and revised rear sway bar set up has tightened it up from the standard springs, you might even consider the sl/slhd option wich isnt as low as mine above but might give you that firmer feel and more sportier look without being to low. $500 installed isnt a bad upgrade.

I also saw some photos of the vf2 reveal and it seems like holden had a lower ride height to be more appealing then the factory height. Some vf2 redlines ive seen out and about almost look like theyve had lift kits in comparison.
View attachment 202758
Thanks. What is the revised rear sway bar you're referring to?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Thanks. What is the revised rear sway bar you're referring to?
i believe the rear suspension/sway bar was revised to be a bit stiffer in the vf2 redline, i honestly didnt notice it until i lowered mine and now through a roundabout at a decent speed you can feel it stay way flatter in the rear.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i believe the rear suspension/sway bar was revised to be a bit stiffer in the vf2 redline, i honestly didnt notice it until i lowered mine and now through a roundabout at a decent speed you can feel it stay way flatter in the rear.
Yes it was. Sorry, I thought you meant you got yours upgraded to VF2.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm

How does it stay flatter in the rear? Wouldn't that twist the car?