Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

JohnRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Nice. Very interested in the shocks. I’m thinking King springs though.

Honestly I had Monroe short shocks and SL Kings and they were quite good on the Calais wagon. Ride was solid without being harsh.
Bilstein have new shocks out for the VF now. No welding at all is required. That’s why I changed my mind. Plus, not sure I want to stuff around with all those adjustments on coilovers etc.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Actually, I have changed my mind. Going with bilstein shocks and eibach springs (I already own the springs). That will do me and a bit cheaper too. Will post photos when it’s done.

Im still running the Eibacks on FE3. I wouldn't mind looking at getting the B8's put in at some point to get that back raised just a bit and overall better ride. Approx how much do you think it would cost me for B8's supply and fitted? Do you recommend anyone in Sydney to do the Job? Also are you changing any of the factory bushings etc?

JohnRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Im still running the Eibacks on FE3. I wouldn't mind looking at getting the B8's put in at some point to get that back raised just a bit and overall better ride. Approx how much do you think it would cost me for B8's supply and fitted? Do you recommend anyone in Sydney to do the Job? Also are you changing any of the factory bushings etc?
IMO, I wouldn’t go to east coast. I am paying about $2000 but I provide the eibach springs. Bilsteins are not cheap so they better be worth it! The shop I am going to are good blokes. Don’t listen to what suspension places tell you when they say eibach match the FE3. They don’t and yes, the ride is crap for that reason. My stock shocks got damaged as a result of trying that method on the recommendation of pedders. I got the Holden dealer to restore the FE3 and they showed me the damage. If you are gonna lower, at a minimum, it needs good short travel shocks and matching lowering springs and accept the firmer ride. I like the ride firmer so not worried about that. I learned the hard way because these shops just want your money and they know you’ll be back when you realise the ride is crap! Now, I just hope the back won’t sit to low with bilsteins. Will post photos when it’s done. Getting done this Monday.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
IMO, I wouldn’t go to east coast. I am paying about $2000 but I provide the eibach springs.
interesting about east coast
price sounds about right, sydney suspension in penrith i think quoted me 2700 for bilsteins with h&r springs

Sheppbloke

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Spoke to a guy the other day who does suspension work for V8 supercars. He explained why Eibach & H&R don't go so well with FE3 and it made perfect sense. Euro guys have a different approach to spring and shock rates (stiffer springs and softer shocks). Mainly due to very different driving conditions. high speeds and quality roads. Aussie conditions can throw up almost anything so have softer spring rates but stiff shock valving, hence they don't marry up well.

JohnRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Spoke to a guy the other day who does suspension work for V8 supercars. He explained why Eibach & H&R don't go so well with FE3 and it made perfect sense. Euro guys have a different approach to spring and shock rates (stiffer springs and softer shocks). Mainly due to very different driving conditions. high speeds and quality roads. Aussie conditions can throw up almost anything so have softer spring rates but stiff shock valving, hence they don't marry up well.
So does he think bilsteins and eibach are a good match for Aussie roads?

Sheppbloke

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
In short, yes. Just have to realise there would be some level of limitation. Car companies have to cover all the bases for what you are likely do with the vehicle and in Australia, that's a lot of variation. In this case, where most of us are only going to be in mostly ideal circumstances, not going to be an issue.

JohnRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
In short, yes. Just have to realise there would be some level of limitation. Car companies have to cover all the bases for what you are likely do with the vehicle and in Australia, that's a lot of variation. In this case, where most of us are only going to be in mostly ideal circumstances, not going to be an issue.
I got the Bilstein/Eibach installed today. First impression is the ride is great and car feels great and much better than stock. However the back end fender gap is less than the front and I think this creates an illusion that the car is tail heavy but I like the way it sits. Heasman struck me as being very professional. I thought all the staff I engaged with were great. Certainly no problem going there.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
So if you like the lower rear end look go for the Eibach. I’ll stick with Kings for an even look. Pair with Bilsteins I think.