Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VF2 SSV Redline Sedan

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Awesome. You didn't change the shocks? Do you have a pic?

No I didn't change the shocks. Kings advised it wasn't necessary for SL springs. I also consulted a friend who was the suspension engineer for VF Commodore and he said their wasn't an immediate need to change the shocks as the car isn't a ground scraper with SLs fitted. He did say, the life of the shocks would be reduced but they will still perform as intended. When the OE shocks do need replacing, I will change to a Coilover setup. This is the best pic I could find.

Resized_20181201_114531.jpeg

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Looks like the perfect height/function balance.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
To save me reading through this complete thread. Have a simple question for those that have done it.

Does changing shocks make a big difference to handling of VF2 SS.
I purchased my car with Walkinshaw lowering springs in it already and has now done 40k on them. I want to get it handling better as feel its not great. So looking to maybe change out shocks. Mine is the base VF2 SS. So guess shock not that great.

What are peoples thoughts. Was thinking of maybe chucking a set of Monroe lowering shocks in it. But is it worth maybe also changing out springs at same time. (I can get Kings at a pretty good price). Seeing they done 40k already.

Or maybe better brands I should be looking at?

I had my front wheel off the other day and noticed that the OEM front shock on my VF2 SSV Redline has a Monroe shock on it, I bought it brand new in March 2018 and it is a 5 Oct 2017 build. Mine is stock as a rock and I think it handles well.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I had my front wheel off the other day and noticed that the OEM front shock on my VF2 SSV Redline has a Monroe shock on it, I bought it brand new in March 2018 and it is a 5 Oct 2017 build. Mine is stock as a rock and I think it handles well.

Yep, Monroe (Tenneco) was the OE supplier. Monroe also supplied the springs.
I think Monroe also supplied the sway bars too but not 100% on that.

Nastas_VF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 6.2
I had king SSL rear / SL front with stock FE2 shocks for a couple months. It drove really good but I wasn't happy with how high the front was.

I then upgraded the shocks to Bilsteins and lowered the front to king SSL. The height is perfect for me, gets looks while driving but it can still get in driveways and over speed bumps. The shock upgrade wasn't as noticeable as I expected (guess I didn't know what to expect), rough roads and bumps will really rattle the car, but when you're on smooth road and into it the suspension is fantastic. Shame these North Qld roads are all trash.

If I did it again I would get MCA coilovers, I know the Bilstein quality is raved about but I probably don't drive it hard enough for the real benefit. Coilovers would have given me the height and shock adjustability so I could get it how I want.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1548300338233.jpg
    FB_IMG_1548300338233.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 502

chunda

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 vf2 ssv redline
hi I don't know if you have already purchased springs and shocks but I have just fitted ssl king springs front and rear. also I was told by kings that I need to get short shocks to suit. so I emailed and rang Munroe several times to make sure that i was getting the correct part shocks for ssv redline. Munroe sent ve shocks for the front which do not fit as the shelby suspension shop rang me who was doing the fitment. I said just fit with the standard shocks and I will wait for Munroe to send the correct ones out later. when I went to pick the car up the mechanic said that the car already has Munroe shocks fitted as standard and there was no benefit in having brought these so called short throw shocks. at least for sl and ssl springs .so I have wasted about 500 dollars. I read lots of posts here about springs and shocks which confused me as there were different opinions. my advice is firstly go to a reputable suspension service centre and ask for their advice. it is obvious from my phone and email conversations with king springs and Munroe that they do not talk to each other. I am happy with the height of ssl springs front and rear . I now have a set of new shocks for the front if anyone is interested in purchasing them.

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
hi I don't know if you have already purchased springs and shocks but I have just fitted ssl king springs front and rear. also I was told by kings that I need to get short shocks to suit. so I emailed and rang Munroe several times to make sure that i was getting the correct part shocks for ssv redline. Munroe sent ve shocks for the front which do not fit as the shelby suspension shop rang me who was doing the fitment. I said just fit with the standard shocks and I will wait for Munroe to send the correct ones out later. when I went to pick the car up the mechanic said that the car already has Munroe shocks fitted as standard and there was no benefit in having brought these so called short throw shocks. at least for sl and ssl springs .so I have wasted about 500 dollars. I read lots of posts here about springs and shocks which confused me as there were different opinions. my advice is firstly go to a reputable suspension service centre and ask for their advice. it is obvious from my phone and email conversations with king springs and Munroe that they do not talk to each other. I am happy with the height of ssl springs front and rear . I now have a set of new shocks for the front if anyone is interested in purchasing them.

Maybe it's your mechanic that's giving you the wrong info

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
another reason to go coilover units rather than split up springs and shocks between companies

chunda

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 vf2 ssv redline
another reason to go coilover units rather than split up springs and shocks between companies
you are right, i probably did not save any money by getting springs and shocks. also at least with coil overs you can adjust the height to suit your needs . " live and learn ".

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I have posted my Eibach Pro Kit springs for sale in the forum classifieds if anyone is interested.