Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS TO ECOTEC Conversion

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
That LS block better not be getting chucked. Such a great motor.

If you are up for a conversion, gee-whizz you could just strip the LS and do a freshen up on it. Way quicker and easier. Less money than converting it back.

There is a global shortage of LS blocks, so don’t ever chuck it away. They are wanted, dead or alive.

An Ecotec conversion is the single most ridiculous thing I’ve heard all day.

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif
LS motor is toast. The previous owner hit a gutter and smashed the sump. He kept it running and it threw a rod out the side.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
What would be cheapest is to park it and buy a VT for $1500 with a V6 already installed.
Was thinking about that but most vt’s have done upwards of 300,000kms. Wanting something between 200,000 and 250,000.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
All I’m asking for is if the ECU’s are the same. I don’t need people commenting about the LS and so on. I’m not keeping it as an LS. It’s blown. Gone. The car is originally a VX S PAC V6. Everything is already out. Car is for a mate who’s on his ps. So no v8. I know what I’m doing obviously I wouldve choosen a v8 over an ecotec any day but you can’t drive an ls unless it’s a statesman. Not having a go at anyone just confused on why everyone is thinking I’m an idiot for converting the car back to how it was considering an ls go for 2.5k without hangons.

Last edited:

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Can be freshened providing the blow up didn't add an extra hole or 3 as a result... :)

Agreed, unusual ask doing this conversion
The ls is toast mate unless you can weld a hole that’s 2 inches big it’s no good. Plus it was making low comp the thing was thrashed.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
@HoldenHoon sorry I cannot answer your question mate.
I think the ecu's were different between the eco and Ls VX, but cannot confirm.
The way l read it, is he is asking if the vt v6 wiring loom will plug into the vy v6 pcm?
Will there be any problems with the vx bcm & vy pcm, will they link ok?

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
The way l read it, is he is asking if the vt v6 wiring loom will plug into the vy v6 pcm?
Will there be any problems with the vx bcm & vy pcm, will they link ok?
Yes that is what I’m asking. The wrecker gave me either a VX or VY motor. With vx wiring, VX Calais s2 transmission and VY auto ecu. Would they all link together? Or would the ecu throw an engine fault for some reason? From my experience the ecotecs were mostly the same. I’m not sure if the BCM is original. Is there a difference between an Ls bcm and an ecotec?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yes that is what I’m asking. The wrecker gave me either a VX or VY motor. With vx wiring, VX Calais s2 transmission and VY auto ecu. Would they all link together? Or would the ecu throw an engine fault for some reason?
Just see if the engine loom plugs into pcm? If so l think its just a matter of linking the bcm to the pcm with the correct scan tool. ex. tech 2.

If the engine loom & pcm came out of the same car, should be ok. Install everything engine pcm, link pcm & bcm should start? Got petrol?