Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Guide to Power Stage I

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
MCAI-$20-30 Here is the Holden Part Numbers for the MCAI
92102689 HOSE - AIR CLEANER SCOOP
92102700 SEAL - AIR CLEANER SCOOP
92096849 DUCT - AIR INLET TO AIR CLEANER
can be completed in 30mins see MCAI thread for DIY.

Good set of Tri Y extractors and twin 2 1/2" system $1100-1500 ( genie , Pacemaker, HM 101's, Difillpo, all good )

Mafless Tune $400-1300

Diff gears A4-3.7's or 3.9's if you don’t use the highway much. M6 -3.9's or 4.11's if you plan on Drag racing a fair bit.

OTRCAI- An Over the Radiator Cold Air Induction system, Power Torque or Sureflow make Very good systems for LS1's are around $500-600

this should see you with 220-240rwkw and a 12 second time slip.

Wanna Go faster ???

Stage II

Auto should see you looking for a
Stall converter- $1100-1400 (aka Torque converter ) a 2800 stally is the Perfect Stall for a Unopened Or baby Camed Car.

Manual owners should be thinking of a Good
Heavy Duty Clutch, as I Don’t own a Manual I can only go from reports But I am Told a textilla is the Best value and performance Clutch on the LS1 market.-$1200-1600??
Also on the Manual Side a
Rip Shifter is going to be on your shopping list, I’ve had a Crack at a Rip shifter By GM Motorsport and WOW they are the Best Shifter I have ever used... $400-500

Cam and springs Upgrade, From all reports a 222/224/112 is the Perfect Street Cam and will suit your 2800 stally Down to a Tee and along with a set of 918 springs Should see the Power, Torque and overall Drivability Greatly Improve..

As for things Like Ported Throttle Bodys and Underdrive Pullies these are in the Next lot of Bolt on Mods and In MY opinion Should only be Considered after the Above Mods have been completed or in the case of the UnderDrives, these could be fittted at the same time as the Cam.

Last edited:

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
OLS108 said:
Good set of Tri Y extractors

there is proberly threads on this but im about to go to bed and cant be bothered looking. will do research on it morro butttttttttttttt....

are tri Y's better than 4 into 1's? its just i always see tri y's with better advertising than the 4 into 1's and you mentioned it. what differance is there in the two? when i look at them the 4 into 1's look like they would push the air out better, without the air crashing into air like the tri y's look like they do. but i wouldnt have a clue hence my question.

any help much appreciated.

(POSTED BY MIKEVXSS)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
For a bit more accurate pricing on exhausts down here in vic, a defilipo system will cost you around $2500 ,$1050 for headers, $380 for high flow cats(2 if you run dual system) custom cat back around $750.

For those interested in cam, mafless tune etc, this is what you get from G & D Performance as quoted by Matt

G&D cam only package with MAFLESS tune is $3990 (including - Mobil 1 10w/30 oil, genuine oil filter, sump oil passage realignment, Oil pump blueprint, New G&D spec Billet camshaft, Adjustable double row timing chain set, Comp valve springs, coolant and custom MAFLESS tuning)
Difilippo 4-1 headers fitted $1060
G&D "Metal cats" $385 each
Difilippo M/S dual 2.5" cat back fitted $745

These mods will give you around 270-300 RWKW depends on the cam really :) Match this setup with a stealth harrop blower, and your in business.

PS: these quotes were given to me as a rough guide

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Oh btw, great post OLS :)

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Lish071 said:
there is proberly threads on this but im about to go to bed and cant be bothered looking. will do research on it morro butttttttttttttt....

are tri Y's better than 4 into 1's? its just i always see tri y's with better advertising than the 4 into 1's and you mentioned it. what differance is there in the two? when i look at them the 4 into 1's look like they would push the air out better, without the air crashing into air like the tri y's look like they do. but i wouldnt have a clue hence my question.

any help much appreciated.

(POSTED BY MIKEVXSS)
I always tend to tend to recomend TRI Y's cause they are really made for unopened or small cam cars, they Give Low down Power where as the 4-1's offer more High range in Power. Some Tuners always recomend 4-1's even for a Bolt on car, for example i Know Dan from Chipmaster is a Fan of 4-1's over TRI y's. But on the other hand I have a Mate with a VT II GTS with a 383 stroker , cam , heads, and harrop 8 tb manifold and still has TRI Y's becuase they help to give Good Low to Mid Power range.
I will Do another Write up between TRI Y's and 4into 1's in another Thread.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Feel like elabertaing on mail order tunes, MAF tunes, a good set of springs for a bolt on only LS1 for insurance, etc.
AirStrike :air:

vy1sv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
personally the v8 with pacemaker headers and a redback 2.5" cat back is fast enough for me :)

VT2VEight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Chev V8
Plan of attack

Hey OLS108 (or anyone else),

Do you think $2500 can get me Tri-ys, edit and 3.9s anywhere in Brissy? At the moment I have only done the catback by Rob Bliss (2.5" Mandrel etc). I have an A4 VT. Also what order should I get the work done in, and will the extractors get rid of the annoying drone? I'm sitting in London at the moment just dying to get back to driving my V8!!!!!! Havent driven it since the 31st of January. 1 more week and I'll be back in Brissy..... Mind you the holidays have been great.

:driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
VT2VEight said:
Hey OLS108 (or anyone else),

Do you think $2500 can get me Tri-ys, edit and 3.9s anywhere in Brissy? At the moment I have only done the catback by Rob Bliss (2.5" Mandrel etc). I have an A4 VT. Also what order should I get the work done in, and will the extractors get rid of the annoying drone? I'm sitting in London at the moment just dying to get back to driving my V8!!!!!! Havent driven it since the 31st of January. 1 more week and I'll be back in Brissy..... Mind you the holidays have been great.

:driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving:

That will get you tune and headers no problem at all. If you want a bit extra high flow cats are a goer, about $350 each.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
LS1's :( there's a couple in my town with nothing more than an exhaust and a home made tune and they run 8.2 on the 1/8th mile all day (works out to high 12's 1/4) and they aren't even light weight budget models