Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 CAM 224/228 OR 224/232 CHOICE

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Thanks for your replies,much appreciated.SS Flo Rida please tell me how your 224/232 cam affected fuel consumption &
idling before you fitted the hi stall.Thank you

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
It’s time to Cam my Daily I have the W375 now.
What’s included in my cam package for $3600
All labor involved with fitting required components.
VCM Camshaft of my choice. Keeping stock Stall

Manley or pac dual row valve spring with upgraded fitting hardware (pending availability at time of order)

Rollmaster Single row timing chain kit.

Genuine (GM) Gaskets

Custom tune to suit.

Not included replacing lifters It requires removing the cylinder heads from the motor which was not normally done when changing the camshaft unless when they pulled the cam they found that the car had lifter damage or something like that.

Car has 54000km on the clock. My question is should I replace the lifters for $2000 (LS7 Lifters) extra????
2020-02-04 15.50.15.png

Also extra $ New spark plugs $130 (NGK TR6)

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I just had a small crow cam fitted in my vf ssv s1,220-225deg,550-560 lift 114lsa,made 41 hp over the stock cam and was a waste of money tbh,didnt make enough difference over stock to justify it,not by a long stretch,mine had a more stall fitted too. I removed the stall and cam and got the stock stall and cam refitted,car drives so much better with the stock cam.I say either get a decent sized cam and stall or you may be totally wasting your time and $$$$$$
Its will tick and the motor will be noisy with hd valve springs,i wasnt prepared for it,just saying.
Makes a new car feel old and crappy.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Thanks milo for your reply. That’s no good at all about your cam experience and I have never heard about the valve springs being super noisy. I was going to go with Manley dual row valve spring. Also probably going with VCM532 cam. The way I understand it’s 50 /50 50% cam and 50% quality tune. Anyway my turn shop I do trust.

My question is should I replace the lifters for $2000 (LS7 Lifters) extra???? When installing a new cam

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
VCM Camshaft of my choice. Keeping stock converter

Manley or pac dual row valve spring with upgraded fitting hardware (pending availability at time of order)

Genuine (GM) Gaskets

Custom tune to suit.

Not included replacing lifters It requires removing the cylinder heads from the motor which was not normally done when changing the camshaft unless when they pulled the cam they found that the car had lifter damage or something like that.

Car has 54000km on the clock. My question is should I replace the lifters for $2000 (LS7 Lifters) extraView attachment 209215

It's a big cost. I'd be guided by the mechanic to some degree. Perosnally I'd keep the cash. But, I'd definitely upgrade the strock trunions.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How many kms have the current lifters done?

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
54000 km

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I just had a small crow cam fitted in my vf ssv s1,220-225deg,550-560 lift 114lsa,made 41 hp over the stock cam and was a waste of money tbh,didnt make enough difference over stock to justify it,not by a long stretch,mine had a more stall fitted too. I removed the stall and cam and got the stock stall and cam refitted,car drives so much better with the stock cam.I say either get a decent sized cam and stall or you may be totally wasting your time and $$$$$$
Its will tick and the motor will be noisy with hd valve springs,i wasnt prepared for it,just saying.
Makes a new car feel old and crappy.
Hey Milo I find this very interesting that you went back to stock the cam and stall must of peed you off a lot to go back to stock ?what stall and other mods did you have ?did you have a good tune ? was fuel consumption affected badly . I ask this because I was wanting to go small cam and stall in the hope of flying under the radar sort of thing whilst going a bit better than stock but not wanting a gas guzzling pig to drive ( I already have one of them )

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
VCM Camshaft of my choice. Keeping stock Stall

Genuine (GM) Gaskets

Custom tune to suit.

Car has 54000km on the clock. My question is should I replace the lifters for $2000 (LS7 Lifters) extra????View attachment 209215

Mate without doubt update the lifters, yeah its 2k more buts its insurance. Mine had the W375 fitted when i picked it up and updated to W407 car only had 22k on the clock, but they made me do lifters.. Cars done 88k now and no dramas, touch wood