Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Oil Leak and OTR back to dealer

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Hi All,

My 2016 LS3 has developed an oil drip, either from the sump gasket or the rear main not sure as I haven't had time to jack it up yet. Before I book it in with the dealer to get fixed, would you guys remove the OTR and put back the original air intake system? Don't really want to if I don't have to, so your thoughts?

Cheers
T

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
it shouldn't matter , as I doubt the OTR would be the cause of the oil leak , if you are worried it might void your warranty, I would check with the maker of the OTR to see if it does .

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I
Hi All,

My 2016 LS3 has developed an oil drip, either from the sump gasket or the rear main not sure as I haven't had time to jack it up yet. Before I book it in with the dealer to get fixed, would you guys remove the OTR and put back the original air intake system? Don't really want to if I don't have to, so your thoughts?

Cheers
T
I would remove it. Don't give them any excuses around it...

Bryan Vincent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Ute
Thorby, what was the result of your oil leak? Just discovered my LS3 leaking oil from the sump during 1st service out of warranty. Holden will clean the sump ($80) and check it in 3 weeks before repairing under ‘good faith’. Apparently if oil drips on the ground they will repair it without cost.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Thorby, what was the result of your oil leak?
Hi Bryan, Thorby hasn't been here since early Feb. Maybe send him a message as he may not check this thread.

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Thorby, what was the result of your oil leak? Just discovered my LS3 leaking oil from the sump during 1st service out of warranty. Holden will clean the sump ($80) and check it in 3 weeks before repairing under ‘good faith’. Apparently if oil drips on the ground they will repair it without cost.

Poof I am here......Turned out the oil filter was loose from the service before they sold it to me. Check that first as the oil stream did blow backwards making it look like a rear main. Lucky mine was an easy fix. Cheers

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Poof I am here......Turned out the oil filter was loose from the service before they sold it to me. Check that first as the oil stream did blow backwards making it look like a rear main. Lucky mine was an easy fix. Cheers

I had oil filter leak after the service too..
They should really be tightened 3/4 of a turn after contact as specified . They probably donit by hand. I can't do it up 3/4 of a turn by hand that's for sure...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I can't do it up 3/4 of a turn by hand that's for sure...
Get yourself a captains of crush:p

upload_2020-4-29_10-30-8.jpeg

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I was joking @Ron Burgundy :p

We all know dealer techs doing oil changes are often pimple faced apprentices so leaky filters aren’t rare :oops: DIY oil changes are often done with more care and insight since they are done by people who enjoy working on their cars where commercial pressures aren’t involved :cool: