Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual sticky.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Change the transmission fluid to the Penrite Pro-Gear, it's worth the money in my opinion and was the first thing I did to my Tonner after I bought it.
After a couple of days driving you will notice the difference in feel.
The other thing I would do is change the clutch fluid as well, this can go a long way in helping towards smoothing things out...so to speak.

This is the Penrite gearbox oil
Penrite Pro Gear 70-75.jpg

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Change the transmission fluid to the Penrite Pro-Gear, it's worth the money in my opinion and was the first thing I did to my Tonner after I bought it.
After a couple of days driving you will notice the difference in feel.
The other thing I would do is change the clutch fluid as well, this can go a long way in helping towards smoothing things out...so to speak.

This is the Penrite gearbox oil
View attachment 183724

So obviously everyone is saying penrite progear 70w-75. What fluid for clutch fluid do you all recommend?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
So obviously everyone is saying penrite progear 70w-75. What fluid for clutch fluid do you all recommend?

Any good quality Dot 4 will be fine.
While we are all giving Penrite big raps....

image.jpg

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Went to SCA today and got everything. I've been told the manual gearbox will take 3.5Lt, so bought a 2.5 and 1.0. Can someone please confirm this as I won't be able to drive and pick up more once I've started.

Cheers.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Is your gearbox a T56 or a TR6060...
I always thought the VE's were a TR6060, but have read somewhere that the first of the VE's ran a T56 also........Hopefully someone can clear this up

If it is a Tremec T56 it takes 4.4 litres.
To service the transmission, Follow the steps below.
1. Remove filler and drain plugs & let old oil drain. (The longer the better if you're draining old & dirty A.T.F from the transmission, I let mine drain overnight)
2. Refit drain plug and fill transmission until fluid just starts to flow out of filler hole (About 3.8 to 3.9 litres from memory) Then refit the filler plug.
3. Remove reverse switch and add a further 500ml of fluid through reverse switch hole.
4. Refit reverse switch

You're Now Done :driving:

Last edited:

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Is your gearbox a T56 or a TR6060...
I always thought the VE's were a TR6060, but have read somewhere that the first of the VE's ran a T56 also........Hopefully someone can clear this up

Pretty sure VE S2 (09/2010) is when TR6060 was first in a Holden, HSV introduced it when they went with the LS3 (08/2008)

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Pretty sure VE S2 (09/2010) is when TR6060 was first in a Holden, HSV introduced it when they went with the LS3 (08/2008)

Knew that someone on the forum would clarify this for me
Cheers adr8 :beer chug:

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
I've used the pro-gear since 50,000klm (now 201,000klm changed 3 times) in the diff and gearbox, even though the box is fairly agricultural in shifting, with this oil it feels real smooth in comparison (also look at the bush that the shifter mounts in-the fork section, whiteline do a replacement one and this can make some difference too), did you get the tom thumb bottle to help refill ($20 from SCA), holds a litre and makes real easy to pump in, you can also use it to measure your oil that goes in so a lot less chance of spilling. also check your spanner size on the reverse switch as it can be a bugger to undo/do up, mine was because of the casing sicking up around the switch

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey guys so my gearbox on the build tag in engine bay says M10. That being the case will it still be 3.5lt. I ended up buying a 2.5lt and a 1.0lt bottle.

That's great info on removing the reverse switch to top an addition 0.5lt.