Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mechanical sound 'enhancer' removal

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I want a sound enhancer. Something to make it sound sexier like open ITB rather than the standard bass dominant fare.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
You can turn off the bimodal exhaust in MyLink, but not the MSE.
So what does that do then close the door to restrict it more, if the engine is tuned to run bimodal I would not touch it at all, I have seen how much power you can drop by messing with the exhaust.

mfrancis1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais-V V8
I blocked it off yesterday just to see the difference. I actually prefer the sound without mse. It got rid of that odd droney noise and i can enjoy the exhaust sound better. The engine also sounds quieter when cold. Lot less clattering etc...

I am not sure that the device actually in any way enhances the sound. I found that it just adds artificial sounding noise and i can do without it.

Will remove the whole setup on weekend.

I used a plug and duct tape to plug the connector on the intake before the throttle body and put back the rubber hose...so it is still all there...minus noise...

I suggest temporary blocking to see the difference before removing it altogether...
So Ron, you have removed the MSE ? I have been debating about the Walkinshaw OTR or the XAIR OTR (with MSE elbow). Does the sound inside the cabin change a great deal ? (Whether you prefer it or not is a different issue). I assume you still get the pops etc.. as that is exhaust generated. But what you miss is that sort VROOM sound when you sink the foot into it. Would really like your view, you seem to be trying to find the balance between modification and OEM; which I am also trying to maintain.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So Ron, you have removed the MSE ? I have been debating about the Walkinshaw OTR or the XAIR OTR (with MSE elbow). Does the sound inside the cabin change a great deal ? (Whether you prefer it or not is a different issue). I assume you still get the pops etc.. as that is exhaust generated. But what you miss is that sort VROOM sound when you sink the foot into it. Would really like your view, you seem to be trying to find the balance between modification and OEM; which I am also trying to maintain.

Look...
I went back and forth couple times and there is difference...
Not huge difference but there is definitely less noise in the cabin without mse...
It comes down to personal preference.

I have since installed r8 340 intake and will plumb mse to it as they did with sv black r8. That gives away my preference at the moment.

After I removed MSE and put it back again I liked a bit extra noise.
I like extra noise but not the look of MSE. Engine bay certainly looks nicer without it.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf2-ss-black-edition.257150/page-18

Current developments here

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/identifying-hose.284600/

ps. I am not best to provide advice...I am impulsive, change mind frequently and what I tell you today might be different to yesterday or tomorrow:)

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...I am impulsive, change mind frequently and what I tell you today might be different to yesterday or tomorrow:)
Well, I use to be indecisive but now I’m not so sure :eek::p