Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Melbourne to Surfers Paradise

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
Hi everyone doing the drive to Surfers next week was wondering if anyone knows the best way i was thinking straight up the hume to sydney then pacific hwy to surfers but when i punched it in my navman was telling me to go through olympic hwy go through wagga wagga have the setting on fastest way then when i google the way ppl dont use hume to syd.
Any input would be great
Cheers

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I used the hume melb - syd over 3yrs ago when I moved up here, then the pacific/hwy 1 out of sydney heading north, this is a decent road now, twin lane atleast until about Coffs Harbour, then a small section of single lane to Balina, then twin lane all the was to surfers, but as it has been almost 6 months since I drove from sydney back here, they may have opened more twin lane between Coffs and Balina.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
there's a heap of roadworks on the north coast at the moment so i'm told, i think there's stuff all distance difference between the coast highway and the inland one (new england) from sydney to brisbane.

i'd be taking the new england hwy, turning off just after cunninghams gap then its a 200k hike east to the goldie, some good scenery going that way too

there is the newell highway too, out to the west. it has a few 110k zones left i think, but by the time your as far north as the goldie ur 4-500k inland, plus you got plenty of road trains throwing rocks at ur car on that road too

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
there's also lots of roadworks on the hume hwy - albury to sydney 80km/h roadworks zones.... you'd think they'd be finished after so many years.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
New England 100% Hume is crap and has been for a long time - but with all the stuff ups with motorways of late, everyone is using as their run into Sydney. You'll hit traffic no matter what time you go through. Also - To get from the hume to the pacific hwy, you're either looking at 20 bucks worth of tolls and traffic.. or no tolls... and an arse load of traffic! Save yourself the hassle... Come here for a holiday if you want to see the sights - but a massive waste of time to drive through Sydney.

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeah i think we drove up the goulburn valley or something? worst idea
drove back on hume and it was fine and quick,, although this was several years ago lol
and going through paramatta.. dont even bother