Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rileybailetti

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Hi all,

I just trying to learn how to tune my 1994 VR Berlina 3.8l v6. I am going to be running a big crow cam, valve springs and all sorts. I was seeing if anyone knew how to tune the memcal or whatever. I know I need to get a Eprom Programmer and a 28 pin adaptor. Do I need a Eprom Eraser? Can I keep the origional files from the memcal and adjust them to suit? Help is needed.

Thanks Riley

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Hi all,

I just trying to learn how to tune my 1994 VR Berlina 3.8l v6. I am going to be running a big crow cam, valve springs and all sorts. I was seeing if anyone knew how to tune the memcal or whatever. I know I need to get a Eprom Programmer and a 28 pin adaptor. Do I need a Eprom Eraser? Can I keep the origional files from the memcal and adjust them to suit? Help is needed.

Thanks Riley
Yes. You will need an eraser. But I would be looking at getting an NVRAM and ALDL cable to start with and using Tuning software such as TunerPro. This will allow you to make constant changes to tune without having to remove eeprom to burn a new tune.
Then once you are happy with your changes, you can then use your programmer to burn final tune to your existing memcal.

rileybailetti

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Yes. You will need an eraser. But I would be looking at getting an NVRAM and ALDL cable to start with and using Tuning software such as TunerPro. This will allow you to make constant changes to tune without having to remove eeprom to burn a new tune.
Then once you are happy with your changes, you can then use your programmer to burn final tune to your existing memcal.
So I need the ALDL cable to use to plug into the ALDL plug to my laptop and while the cars running I can use tuner pro to adjust?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The PCM Hacking forum is the best place for all the info regarding tuning.

rileybailetti

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Sorry to be a pain but could u do a link for the cables to that I need?

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
So I need the ALDL cable to use to plug into the ALDL plug to my laptop and while the cars running I can use tuner pro to adjust?
You can use cable and tuner pro to see what the car is doing.But if you also want to tune, then you will also need an NVRAM board in place of your existing memcal board/chip. E.g. Remove existing memcal and replace with realtime NVRAM(chip). Tune the car then save tune and burn to existing memcal. Place existing memcal with updated tune back into ecm.

As Immortality said.... Go to www.pcmhacking.net And purchase all the required gear from there. I strongly suggest to look at and read all the info available there including FAQ to give you a good idea of what you are in for. It may seem a bit over whelming to start, but if you are patient and take the time to read all the really valuable info provided by people who have started out and learned the same way you will/might be. You won't look back.
It's very satisfying when you can tune your own car.Especially after doing mods.

By doing things this way. You could literally save yourself $$$$ by spending a couple hundred bucks and time. Because everytime you make modifications to your motor, You will most likely need to make small changes to your tune and that means paying someone to tune it.

So in short:

Go to website. Read and download info. Spend a little money. Support. And benefit greatly. And contribute there as well as here.
Purchase: ALDL cable to suit your car(PCMHACKING) Don't buy cheap Ebay S**T!!!
NVRAM Board suitable for your car(PCMHACKING) Don't buy cheap Ebay S**T!!!
Download TunerPro (free or pay/donate small amount for license)
Download necessary files (from PCMHACKING)