Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing under load :-(

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I know you've said you checked the spark (plugs/coils) however I had the EXACT same issue with the parents VS v6, took it to a mates place, checked the obvious from air filter, throttle body, sparks, leads, MAF sensor, reset ecu etc.. turned out one of the leads was slightly stuffed, and on load it wouldnt spark correctly.

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
i read that it was on both, just read over it and didnt think much about it. that in mind, it must be on the engine side of the fuel and gas system. maybe disconnect the battery for half hour or something. worth a shot. get the computer looked at etc. it it injected or converter ?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ah, if i was you, i would walk away from this issue.

we had a old rodeo, 2001 model, did the exact same thing, it was the begining of the end for this car. the lack of power under acceleration, and what appered to be a missing, droping in 1 cyclinder was infact a valve sticking, we put the clutch in, reved it quickly, it came good and off we would go for a few more minutes before having to do this again. it was the valve on the intake side for number 3. so if i was you, i would get it checked by a pro before you continue. this coudl turn into being a expensive repair.. mine wasnt a gas one, just a normal petrol type. and it chewed petrol badly, terible economy

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Thanx guys,

The car is pretty cheap, so if I was forced to spend up to 2grand, I would be about where any other rodeo of it's condition is......
I'm a mechanic, so any labour is free, I don't work on cars, and havn't since 1995, I am now on heavy vehicles. I have a few friends with workshops, so I will plug it into their diagnostic software and see what comes up :)...

I know it seems logical to walk away from it, but my gut tells me go for it...........
I'm thinking that when they replaced the plugs on it, they damaged the stalk to one of the coils while taking them off.....
I will pinpoint the cylinders being naughty, and swap coils to the L/H rocker cover, and it all moves over there......Bingo :)
A few mins on the dyno experimenting should bring me an outcome......

I was hoping one of you was going to say....Yep it's @#!$%#$^&*$&(), they do it all the time...lol... Wishfull thinking.......

Thanks heaps everyone for your input :)

Here it is :)HOLDEN RODEO 2001 LT 4WD DUAL CAB PETROL /GAS VGC MELB - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 03-Jul-10 16:25:40 AEST)

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
Can't go wrong with a gut feeling, as long you trust that you know what you're doing and your prepared to spend money and you think it's worth it, why not:)

i took the risk of buying my ute from auctions, no test drive nothing, was an electricians car so who knows what apprentices had trashed it...tranny coulda been stuffed, diff coulda been stuffed, but stuck with the gut feeling koz i knew i could get parts and labour cheap if i didn't do it myself, so i bought the ute, but everything was fine, going in for a minor service with all fluids being flushed

anyways, aslong as it feels right, then go for it:D

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers Mate,

Yeah pretty excited really, I know I can fix it, so hey...........no Problem :)

Can't wait to get back out in the bush, next to a river somewhere, a nice fire and some awesome sight seeing ..................
I will post up some pix as soon as I get it home...

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, just picked it up :)
It drove great for about 5 mins at which point it dropped a cylinder, and then it kept coming back every now and again.....
Maybe a sticky Valve like previously described, or possibly electrical, I will check it out over the next few days and see what I can find :)
Otherwise, very happy.

Pix tomorrow :)

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
It'll be a sticky valve. The Rodeo V6s have nothing but trouble with the heads, they burn valves bad on gas, they wear valve stem seals and start chewing the oil, they wear valve guides. I would have steered clear of a Rodeo on gas period, let alone one with an intermittent missfire.....

I can see why it's on gas though, they're REALLY thirsty on petrol, but they destroy the heads on gas. Real catch 22. If the heads are stuffed, put an injected 5 litre in it, you'll never look back. :p

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh I would rather get it going right for now, the senator is my project atm......
I had planned this one to be my daily driver :)
See what i can do to free it up ..............

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
My guess is, you're going to be up for a reco head or 2. In my experience, the cheapest car normally ends up being the most expensive car....

What leads me to think it's a mechanical misfire is because if it was an electrical missfire, it would be backfiring like crazy on gas.