Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods on my vt s1 v6 6 speed auto exe. wagon

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And people question me when I buy NOS spares. Probably parts I will never use, but if I didn't have them then they would end up NLA and I'd be stuck because something would break, it's the way of life...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Amazing how we are all of the “keep for spares” mind set. I’d never really thought about that sort of thing years ago.
The are 19" x 8" wheels. I've cracked one, so, l suppose l'll crack more as they get older. Depends on the sh#tty roads, l suppose?

I might put a couple on the trailer?

I'll polish & clear the 18s. They are not the bboss wheels. Then sell them.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pulled the wheels out of the car this morning, & found one of the other rims with a buckle. Barely noticable, but its there. F#ck it!

Think l'll just get some tyres for the 18" wheels & keep them all?

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
hi Lex, not sure if you remember or not, I've put a statesman woodgrain facia into my VT Calais probably a year ago which i bought and painted and installed, but the air vent knob is now pushed in, so I want to take it out and fix, my question is can the woodgrain part be taken out by itself or do i have to undo all the wiring and take out the whole facia
statesman facia.jpg

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi Lex, not sure if you remember or not, I've put a statesman woodgrain facia into my VT Calais probably a year ago which i bought and painted and installed, but the air vent knob is now pushed in, so I want to take it out and fix, my question is can the woodgrain part be taken out by itself or do i have to undo all the wiring and take out the whole faciaView attachment 242691
Hi
The centre piece comes out by itself. The vent is screwed to the wood grain fascia from the inside.
First take shifter surround off (2 screws either side of lighter). Then take upper centre piece (2screws bottom of the centre piece).
Hope this helps. Easy job, good luck with it.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Hi
The centre piece comes out by itself. The vent is screwed to the wood grain fascia from the inside.
First take shifter surround off (2 screws either side of lighter). Then take upper centre piece (2screws bottom of the centre piece).
Hope this helps. Easy job, good luck with it.
thanks mate

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had problems with the car. Engine was idling to fast.
First thing l noticed was wiring for the iac sensor. With the engine idling you would move the wiring for the iac sensor & the idle would speed up, moved it down, the idling would come down. Cut the wiring of. Wired another l had from a loom on an engine that was seized.
Her's the pic of the old iac plug.
1669176561004.jpeg

I showed a friend & he noticed the wiring (l missed it, but again l didn't look either).

This happened in October. It didn't fix the problem.

So, decided it must be vacuum leak. Nothing l did solved the problem. Had plenum pcv & lower manifold of numerous times. No joy!

Thought l had checked the iac wiring a couple of times (rewired the plug) & thought l had done it correctly?
After getting the lim new pcv & correct oring (thanks @Immortality) + a stripped out thread on the lim for the plenum & fixing that, & getting it back together, & still no change, high idle (1400 rpm on a cold start & idle would go higher as the engine warmed up).

Its 10.30 in the morning, l'd walked away from it the day before after stripping out the plenum bolt then dropping it down the intake. Went fishing wtih the magnet, couldn't catch anything, so called it a day. Thought l was going to have to pull it all down again (wouldn't have been the first time. This was starting to remind me of @Veewhyfan episode he had last weekend or the one before, when working on his ecotec. His problem was the pcv oring?).

Next day back into it. Went fishing again with the magnet, this time successful.

Anyway, back to to 10.30, engine all back together & high rpm. Turned the engine off. Hmm? Out with the mutimeter & checked the wiring to the iac (this was the second time l had checked. First time l thought it was correct?) plug again. Pins a & b were correct but c & d were mixed up. Corrected the mix up & l have the correct idle.

About bloody time!

Won't take up any more of your time. Thanks for reading my problem.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Had problems with the car. Engine was idling to fast.
First thing l noticed was wiring for the iac sensor. With the engine idling you would move the wiring for the iac sensor & the idle would speed up, moved it down, the idling would come down. Cut the wiring of. Wired another l had from a loom on an engine that was seized.
Her's the pic of the old iac plug.View attachment 244849

I showed a friend & he noticed the wiring (l missed it, but again l didn't look either).

This happened in October. It didn't fix the problem.

So, decided it must be vacuum leak. Nothing l did solved the problem. Had plenum pcv & lower manifold of numerous times. No joy!

Thought l had checked the iac wiring a couple of times (rewired the plug) & thought l had done it correctly?
After getting the lim new pcv & correct oring (thanks @Immortality) + a stripped out thread on the lim for the plenum & fixing that, & getting it back together, & still no change, high idle (1400 rpm on a cold start & idle would go higher as the engine warmed up).

Its 10.30 in the morning, l'd walked away from it the day before after stripping out the plenum bolt then dropping it down the intake. Went fishing wtih the magnet, couldn't catch anything, so called it a day. Thought l was going to have to pull it all down again (wouldn't have been the first time. This was starting to remind me of @Veewhyfan episode he had last weekend or the one before, when working on his ecotec. His problem was the pcv oring?).

Next day back into it. Went fishing again with the magnet, this time successful.

Anyway, back to to 10.30, engine all back together & high rpm. Turned the engine off. Hmm? Out with the mutimeter & checked the wiring to the iac (this was the second time l had checked. First time l thought it was correct?) plug again. Pins a & b were correct but c & d were mixed up. Corrected the mix up & l have the correct idle.

About bloody time!

Won't take up any more of your time. Thanks for reading my problem.
Not taking up MY precious time mate.
I enjoy reading your contributiions. Always interesting.
Besides, the stuff you have done to your car makes interesting reading for anyone!

So to your car's issue:
Sounds to me you found the problem but in correcting it, you put the wires back round the wrong way?
We all do that from time to time. But the impressive thing is, you found the problem very quickly!

Good onya.

jeff

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
you found the problem very quickly!
Thanks.
It only took me 5 - 7 weeks? Ashame l couldn't have worked it out sooner?
l checked the wiring out a few weeks ago & thought it checked out?
I also checked the diary. According to that l checked the tps. But still l thought l had checked the iac?

Back to doing some other work on it?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
New radiator arrived today.
Will be fitting it tomorrow. To hot today. Supposed to be 37c.

Radiator was $80.00

This will be the 3rd rad. in about 10 years. There was nothing wrong with the last rad. I was cutting something of the car (don't remember what). Was taking a shortcut (not so short). Cut through the top part by about 2/3. Hasn't leaked.
I'll try repairing the old one. If it works l'll have a spare.
1673913295675.jpeg

Here's where l bought it from.
This one says $99.00

I'll update the thread about ease of installation tomorrow or lack of it?