Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Multiple Fault Codes

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
I’ve seen people do all sorts of software updates on their PC when their internet wasn’t working But in some cases it just needed someone to push the Ethernet cable fully into the socket (or press the laptop hardware button to turn on the wifi card) for internet to start working again :eek:

Sadly, it doesn’t sound like the dealer did a detailed enough assessment… checking fault codes and doing firmware updates is just so deficient on so many levels. They should have done a lot more, like checked CAN bus V8’s waveforms among other things… Pity diagnose Dan isn’t a local :(
The service bloke tried brushing it off saying they’re just can bus codes and nothing to worry about. Kinda of getting sick and tired that I’m having to constantly go back and fourth what makes it harder is dealership is a 40 min drive.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’ve made it clear that I will be returning once they show up again.
The service bloke tried brushing it off saying they’re just can bus codes and nothing to worry about. Kinda of getting sick and tired that I’m having to constantly go back and fourth what makes it harder is dealership is a 40 min drive.
Yeah, very frustrating… just keep detailed logs of all contacts and repair attempts.

It’d be easier if Holden were still building commodores down under as replacement can be a great choice and I’d suggest using your ACL statutory warranty rights. As is, a minor problem that can’t be fixed in a number of repair attempts then becomes a major fault under ACL. As such, you’d be within your rights to reject the vehicle and ask for a full purchase price refund from the selling dealer. That’s because repeated failure to repair the minor defect in essence makes the it a major defect, thus the vehicle is of unacceptable quality (given that the dealer is incapable of repairing it)…

But if you want a VF commodor, such an approach isn't really ideal as you won’t be able to replace it. However, pushing that option may be enough to convince the selling dealer to take the issue more seriously and a tually spend the effort required to follow a methodical process to fault find (as I thing is defined within the workshop manual).

If your not too familiar with your ACL rights, click here for a simplified outline :cool:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

ask him to get those same codes to show up on another vf.
when he cant do that you then explain that they "are just canbus codes" and they are pointing to a fault in the system which he needs to fix.

to me it looks like there is a breakdown in the data being sent and received because you are getting checksum errors so it is a bad connection, voltage or something is shorting.
one of the modules bcm/tcm/ecm etc might be faulty too.

normally in protocol/data transmission programming a checksum error is caused by invalid/corrupted data being sent with the receiver expecting one thing but it is being sent something else or something corrupt.

for instance the receiver is expecting 123456 but the sender only sends 1234 so a checksum error would be raised.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
ask him to get those same codes to show up on another vf.
when he cant do that you then explain that they "are just canbus codes" and they are pointing to a fault in the system which he needs to fix.

to me it looks like there is a breakdown in the data being sent and received because you are getting checksum errors so it is a bad connection, voltage or something is shorting.
one of the modules bcm/tcm/ecm etc might be faulty too.

normally in protocol/data transmission programming a checksum error is caused by invalid/corrupted data being sent with the receiver expecting one thing but it is being sent something else or something corrupt.

for instance the receiver is expecting 123456 but the sender only sends 1234 so a checksum error would be raised.
There counter argument is no check engine light so you’ll be sweet. I’m expecting those codes to come back in two days hopefully.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
There counter argument is no check engine light so you’ll be sweet. I’m expecting those codes to come back in two days hopefully.
The check engine lamp is for faults that require urgent attention, hence the immediate notification to the driver. Heck in some cases, a check engine lamp is also accompanied by the vehicle going into limp home mode, a condition that can be argued as a major fault under ACL.

In any case, the fact that the check engine lamp is not on doesn’t mean that there isn’t a fault, it nearly means that the fadult isn’t urgent and can wait for next service where the techs would read it and act appropriately (not just clear it)…

Such CAN bus communication faults are latent faults just waiting to take your vehicle out of service at the most inconvenient time, so you’re not sweet as the dealer thinks…

The fact the dealer has tried to repair it (clear codes and software update isn’t really repairing anything) and as such will almost certainly cause issues down the line. The fact these dumb fcuks are doing this simply brings this minor fault into the major fault category... So monitor the issue, keep good records and then act accordingly…

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
The check engine lamp is for faults that require urgent attention, hence the immediate notification to the driver. Heck in some cases, a check engine lamp is also accompanied by the vehicle going into limp home mode, a condition that can be argued as a major fault under ACL.

In any case, the fact that the check engine lamp is not on doesn’t mean that there isn’t a fault, it nearly means that the fadult isn’t urgent and can wait for next service where the techs would read it and act appropriately (not just clear it)…

Such CAN bus communication faults are latent faults just waiting to take your vehicle out of service at the most inconvenient time, so you’re not sweet as the dealer thinks…

The fact the dealer has tried to repair it (clear codes and software update isn’t really repairing anything) and as such will almost certainly cause issues down the line. The fact these dumb fcuks are doing this simply brings this minor fault into the major fault category... So monitor the issue, keep good records and then act accordingly…
I made sure to get a copy of the work they carried out so everything is recorded on paper.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if they think it is nothing then ask them to sign a declaration of full liability in the event that the brakes(abs) or transmission(tcm) fails or any failure traced back to those errors.
liability for any and all damages done and injuries sustained by all parties involved.

i bet they are not willing to sign one ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
if they think it is nothing then ask them to sign a declaration of full liability in the event that the brakes(abs) or transmission(tcm) fails or any failure traced back to those errors.
liability for any and all damages done and injuries sustained by all parties involved.

i bet they are not willing to sign one ;)
Hahaha, I like it…

Not only wouldn’t they sign such a declaration, the dealer would likely move the car back into the workshop and do their job correctly :p

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Bit of an update no codes yet however car has gone into battery saver mode and vehicle battery is at 11.4V.