Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY.10 SV6 Timing Chain P0008

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
It's not the engines , well to a point , but it's more to do with people not servicing them properly or at all , because they sludge up if not correctly or regularly serviced they can develop problems , any engine would if it's had poor servicing .

I put the blame on the engine being **** and the servicing schedule not being adequate.

IIRC, the oil change interval on these is 15,000. Thats to long on an engine if you look at it with a mean face itll throw the timing chain at you and perhap some sludge to boot.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm well aware of the 15000K service intervals , and think its far too long , but if they are maintained properly ,as anybody would do if they want to call themselves a car person would , then no problems ,but if you are a bit slack on the oil changes , as a frightening number of people are , they will possibly %^k out.
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one ,

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
The chain kit itself we used to sell for around the 1400 mark. Depending on who did the job, it is a fairly large job. But for Holden now, they do so many of them its like clockwork.

Being an MY10, I would be surprised if Holden didnt come to the party and atleast offer you half the cost (if it is out of warranty). I would be raising it further.

God damn these motors are shithouse. Absolutely terrible.

Well this one comes to mind and has all things i believe you are saying comes in the other one?

TIMING CHAIN KIT TO SUIT HOLDEN VZ-VE ALLOYTEC & LLT SIDI 3.6L V6 - Mace Engineering Group

It might not be what your talking about but this seems like what i would call a replacement kit :)

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I'm well aware of the 15000K service intervals , and think its far too long , but if they are maintained properly ,as anybody would do if they want to call themselves a car person would , then no problems ,but if you are a bit slack on the oil changes , as a frightening number of people are , they will possibly %^k out.
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one ,

Will extremely prompt servicing prolong the life? But at 15,000km the battle has been lost. Ive dealt with plenty of owners who stuck to the 15,000km schedule and had to fork out for the repair because it prolonged the damage till just outside of warranty period.

If I owned one, id be doing 7500km services.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
Starting FROM 450.

Select an option and see what happens *wink* VE Kit with Gears it a touch under 700. Still a good price, but not 300-400 bucks thats for sure.

ahh got it still a big defference and i should say the ones with cam gears bump the price up to that much :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
anyone servicing these engines in australian conditions at 15 000 intervals with semi synth oils has rocks in their head and Holden 's engineers too

I've seen the intern;s of these engines service by Holden. Awful !

I service mine at 7500 intervals with synthetic oil

sv6_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SV6
I have a MY12 with 112000km, mine has started a god awfull start up rattle. Im fearful of it being the timing chains.

Car has been serviced by holden since day one religiously as the service manual depicts. Car has had a very long list of problems since new, took it to holden and they weren't very interested in helping me. Highly doubt I'll ever buy another holden after this one.

sv6_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SV6
Many years ago I had a 1998 SSS pulsar which developed a start up rattle, was about 6 years old when it first started. Took it to Nissan, the tensioner was an external part, was replaced for $250 and didn't make a sound since. Why couldn't our V6 engines have a similar design :(

Sv6sidibilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 sidi
Can anyone tell me what the four sensors are on each bank the top left and right cam sensors? What are the middle sensors? Thanks