Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY.10 SV6 Timing Chain P0008

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
For anyone interested Holden do have a software update for the sidi, just had mine done. Didn't last long as the engine light is back on. They quoted me $2800 for new chains, guids etc. Looks like Holden didn't fix the problem after all

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
They quoted me $2800 for new chains, guids etc.
OUCH! that sucks...I know others (with pre-SIDI's) have had these replaced not at holden a lot cheaper, might have to drop into a few mechanics to find the best price.

Looks like Holden didn't fix the problem after all
I wonder how wide spread this problem is with SIDI?
I think you're the 2nd member with an MY10 SV6 SIDI that i've seen on JC with timing chain replacement needed (below is other thread - unsure of outcome)
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/re-2010-sv-wagon.229777

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Yeah ill be shopping around that's for sure. I asked the dealer if it was a common problem in the SIDI and he said NO it depends on service history which makes no sense because I have always serviced my car on time and always by Holden. I think this is early signs of a common fault in these motors. I find it hard to believe that I need to spend nearly 3k on my car just to keep it on the road considering it hasn't even done 100,000k yet. If Holden stoped making s**t box cars they might afford to continue Australian manufacturing.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
If Holden stoped making s**t box cars they might afford to continue Australian manufacturing.
not that this helps you...but it's not a holden engine, it's a GM engine.
it'd be interesting to know if there are others on Camaro, Buick, Cadillac etc forums posting similar issue.

also interested to see how this pans out for you, i was looking at replacing my omega with a newer model SIDI sooner than later

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
Ring fair trading in your state. You are covered by warranty on all products that can exceed the manufactures warranty.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
What's fair trading going to do about it? It's a car, parts wear out over time/kms and when they do you get them replaced. It's out of warranty so it's up to the owner to do something about it. Even though it's an SIDI, the km's are about right for a timing chain to get replaced.

OP, I think you're better off sourcing the timing chains yourself and taking it to a mechanic or get them to get a set and install them for you.

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
Mate I suggest you read consumer law and learn your actual rights. Your rights are any product should last a reasonable amount of time considering it's use, cost and perceived quality. Ie if a 250k Mercedes blew a motor after five years after having all scheduled services would you consider that item lasting as long as one would have perceived ?? The answer is no , then you are covered by law. No different if you buy a 5k tv with a 12 month warranty and it fails after two. A reasonable person would expect a 5k tv to last more than 2 years. This test applies to all products purchased in Australia. Only offering advise take it or leave it

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Mate I suggest you read consumer law and learn your actual rights. Your rights are any product should last a reasonable amount of time considering it's use, cost and perceived quality. Ie if a 250k Mercedes blew a motor after five years after having all scheduled services would you consider that item lasting as long as one would have perceived ?? The answer is no , then you are covered by law. No different if you buy a 5k tv with a 12 month warranty and it fails after two. A reasonable person would expect a 5k tv to last more than 2 years. This test applies to all products purchased in Australia. Only offering advise take it or leave it

100% correct, however. If the car was purchased in 2010 he will be covered under the old act. New consumer law did not come out until 2011 and only covers purchases made after 1st of Jan 2011.

Last edited:

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
What's fair trading going to do about it? It's a car, parts wear out over time/kms and when they do you get them replaced. It's out of warranty so it's up to the owner to do something about it. Even though it's an SIDI, the km's are about right for a timing chain to get replaced.

OP, I think you're better off sourcing the timing chains yourself and taking it to a mechanic or get them to get a set and install them for you.

Maybe if it was a rubber belt designed to be easily changed at 100,000 km. Would then be fine.