Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY.10 SV6 Timing Chain P0008

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
not that this helps you...but it's not a holden engine, it's a GM engine.
it'd be interesting to know if there are others on Camaro, Buick, Cadillac etc forums posting similar issue.

Did a little search didn't take long to find GM cars in the states having timing chains replaced in their LLT motors. I wont be buying another v6 holden. Other than this current problem im having I had warranty work done on the esp/traction control because sensors kept setting off abs when the car wasn't even moving. Holden replaced control module and wiring for abs/esp. Not to mention the weak clutches that come stock.

Id hate for someone to buy a secondhand sidi that's only had the software update as its only a temp fix/band aid to stretched chains that would eventually need replacing.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Buying used Holdens will not be like old times. It's all good for Toyota in the long run as lots of Ausies will never buy a new Holden import which they expect to profit from more than making them here.

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Just got the chains done. Cost me $2500 for chains, guides, tensioner, oil, coolant, seals, gaskets and labour. Motor feels so tight now didn't realize how bad they were! I asked Holden what would stop this from happening again and they said regular oil changes... didn't stop it from happening the first time.

mtw002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 Ute
its 100% timing chains!!!!
My MY 9.5 Sv6 Sidi LLT started throwing those codes. P0008 and a few others. what happened was a chain guide / Tensioner had completely failed. i could reset the computer and it would run like a bat out of hell for anywhere from 6 hours to 2 days.

Finially i bit the bullet, got it replaced, and havnt had an issue again. and keep in mind they are due at 100,000 anyway....

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
I may be having this issue, I've heard a strange sound from the engine and been told that it's an early sign of the timing chain and that I'll have to replace it in maybe 12 to 24 months and to check for the sound but I've only heard it twice in almost two years.

Last edited:

Pete69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6
Same issues , 2010 model with only 60k , had the parameters changed by holden , check engine light still comes on , was quoted $3500 to have chain replaced , this cant be right for a chain , I understand the labour charge but if the chain is so expensive it should be of much better quality , going to contact fair trading !

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Same issues , 2010 model with only 60k , had the parameters changed by holden , check engine light still comes on , was quoted $3500 to have chain replaced , this cant be right for a chain , I understand the labour charge but if the chain is so expensive it should be of much better quality , going to contact fair trading !

The chain kit itself we used to sell for around the 1400 mark. Depending on who did the job, it is a fairly large job. But for Holden now, they do so many of them its like clockwork.

Being an MY10, I would be surprised if Holden didnt come to the party and atleast offer you half the cost (if it is out of warranty). I would be raising it further.

God damn these motors are shithouse. Absolutely terrible.

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
You can get the chain kits for around $300 to $450 (actualy more like $700 with all the extra good parts) if you have a look around and a service manual for about $40 so that’s around $500 ( So more like $800 with all parts covered) + oils and seals and the service manual will help you with other things if you wanted to save money and do it your self, which I would be doing (well I do) once its out of warranty or over 100’000kms because your just going to have to keep replacing things after then and you’ll have a better understanding of your car if you want to keep it running well after that for cheaper or you can pay the $2500 to get a mechanic to do it when its not adding value to your car because it is already that old. :)

( Corrected thanks to Grennan :) )

Last edited:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
You can get the chain kits for around $300 to $450 if you have a look around and a service manual for about $40 so that’s around $500 + oils and seals and the service manual will help you with other things if you wanted to save money and do it your self, which I would be doing (well I do) once its out of warranty or over 100’000kms because your just going to have to keep replacing things after then and you’ll have a better understanding of your car if you want to keep it running well after that for cheaper or you can pay the $2500 to get a mechanic to do it when its not adding value to your car because it is already that old. :)

Dont know what kits youre buying for 300 bucks.

Does that include tensioners, guides etc or is it JUST the chain?

I just pulled up a Nason number GMTK31, we do them for 1,195. Could probably stretch it to about 900ish if I wanted to be nice and even that doesnt include the cam gears.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The chain kit itself we used to sell for around the 1400 mark. Depending on who did the job, it is a fairly large job. But for Holden now, they do so many of them its like clockwork.

Being an MY10, I would be surprised if Holden didnt come to the party and atleast offer you half the cost (if it is out of warranty). I would be raising it further.

God damn these motors are shithouse. Absolutely terrible.

It's not the engines , well to a point , but it's more to do with people not servicing them properly or at all , because they sludge up if not correctly or regularly serviced they can develop problems , any engine would if it's had poor servicing .