Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My link upgrade

Jacks5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
I've just installed a Kenwood DDX9018DABS and replaced the car antenna to included DAB , as I didn't want a DAB antenna on the windscreen and located the USB's in the centre console easy see and access , the original location for the USB is in the worse place you can put it

Attachments

• Kenwood.jpg
    Kenwood.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 497
  • Shark Fin.jpg
    Shark Fin.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 462
  • USB Day.jpg
    USB Day.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 493
  • USB Night.jpg
    USB Night.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 463

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I've just installed a Kenwood DDX9018DABS and replaced the car antenna to included DAB , as I didn't want a DAB antenna on the windscreen and located the USB's in the centre console easy see and access , the original location for the USB is in the worse place you can put it

Looks good , how has your experience been with it so far ? even the version with Garmin maps comes in cheaper than the Alpine systems

Jacks5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
Looks good , how has your experience been with it so far ? even the version with Garmin maps comes in cheaper than the Alpine systems
I've been using google maps as I find it more up to date ,and by changing the headunit the sound quality is a lot better , getting the new headunit in the car was a bit a pain as it just fits but it paid off

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I've been using google maps as I find it more up to date ,and by changing the headunit the sound quality is a lot better , getting the new headunit in the car was a bit a pain as it just fits but it paid off

How did you find using the wi-fi mirror play and do all the normal functions work as well as the HUD , as I read above with the Alpine its not properly supported . I'm trying to decide between the top 2 options (Kenwood or Halo9), I tried the Naviplus addon but was unable to get Android Auto to play music so had to return it . For me the decision is between having a bigger screen or whether the wi-fi mirror play works well . I'm going to Autobarn tomorrow to have a look at both systems though I will buy a cheaper option off ebay

Jacks5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
How did you find using the wi-fi mirror play and do all the normal functions work as well as the HUD , as I read above with the Alpine its not properly supported . I'm trying to decide between the top 2 options (Kenwood or Halo9), I tried the Naviplus addon but was unable to get Android Auto to play music so had to return it . For me the decision is between having a bigger screen or whether the wi-fi mirror play works well . I'm going to Autobarn tomorrow to have a look at both systems though I will buy a cheaper option off ebay
On the Kenwood wifi mirror only works on Android which I don't use I use apple car play which works great ,on the HUD side of things you will loose the navigation instructions , everything else on HUD works

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
On the Kenwood wifi mirror only works on Android which I don't use I use apple car play which works great ,on the HUD side of things you will loose the navigation instructions , everything else on HUD works

So do you still get the speed zones in the HUD ? I guess not . I use Android , so I will suss mirror out tomorrow . I thought I did see an Alpine unit that uses the same facia adapter that had wireless Carplay but you probly don't want know that now . I use Waze myself as its a bit more fun and has the cop and red light alerts , also its a bit of fun editing the map if you know of any unmarked/unnamed roads

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hey Jack , I just received my Kenwood and was wondering what you used to fix your USB plugs in the console and what antenna you used ?
Also the item description on ebay say's that there are some in dash modification to be made , did you have to do this ?
Somebody pointed out that the reverse vehicle warning doesn't work have you found anything else that isn't working yet ?

Jacks5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
The USB fix holder is a 3d printed part which I sketched up myself and inserted a blue LED light , the antenna I uses is here http://advancedice.com.au/roof-mount-40cm-dab-am-fm-gps-3147.html , if you need a GPS version use this http://advancedice.com.au/shark-fin-antenna-dab-am-fm-gps.html
The modification I made is I cut about 10mm on each size to fit the head unit in and moved the cables at the back to allow the radio to fit , moving the cables took some time as they are not long enough
If you got the Aerpro kit the book inside will explain what to cut , with the reversing traffic alert this does not work yet , this is not a head unit issue ,it's the Aerpro kit which is a Connects2 interface module who are based in UK I've E mailed them and they did replied saying they need to speak to they software engineering about it , this was just on Dec 28th , so I just waiting if it can be done

Slats1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT
Hi all,

Great thread.

Quick question, by upgrading to an aftermarket head unit (other than the Alpine unit) is it still possible to access the Vehicle Settings and HVAC options etc?

How are the vehicle settings accessed or changed once upgraded?

Cheers!