Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vc Wagon.....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well 173's out, starting to do a bit to her now. Removed the battery tray today so got to clean that up and weld up some holes, started removing the brackets for the windscreen washers & overflow bottle. I'll use the Vl ones when shes all done, the Vl motors almost ready to lift out. Once that's out i'll kick that out of the shed & get the Vc in and strip out the interior & get the front off her. I'll hide as much of the wiring as possible as i go, going to see if i can get the fuse box under the dash but not sure if i'll get away with that from what i've read......

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Getting a bit done here, so bloody hot though makes it fun. Motors out of the Vl and got that outside ready to strip, got the bottom radiator support off as well. Going to drop the front end & k-frame soon....
Picture020.jpg
Picture018.jpg

Got the Vc in the shed again so will start getting the front of her in the next couple of days and get the interior all stripped out as well, she's looking a little sad sitting there at the mo but will slowly get better from her on in. Missions on........
Picture019.jpg

That isn't rust on the firewall either, had that factory black noise suppressant thing over the firewall. Was well glued on there as you can see, going to be fun getting that off Not lol

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Been a busy day so only got a we bit done today, dont no if you guys over there get this problem but there's a rust trap in these early girls. Its just on the passenger side of the trans tunnel , found some rust there when i bought it so i knew there be rust in the floor & sure enough when i got the carpets out there it was
Picture032.jpg
Picture033.jpg

Wont be to hard to sort but a pain in the rear, i'll make sure she never rust's here again. One plus the parts wagons floors mint & seems to be the same shape so i'll be cutting the section out of that that i need.
Started getting the front of as well, finish that up tommorow then i can start cleaning things up & put the vl front end in.....
Picture034.jpg

vk_4speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 355ci and Vn calais
nice thread bro cant wait to see what she looks like with the rb

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Cheers....She'll be mint with the rb in her, just getting ready to drop the old front end now. Fronts all stripped off her, once all that's done i'll hall the dash out. Need her going again by March 1st so missions on....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well that's the dash & wiring loom out of the old girl, drill out a few spot welds & that'll be the frame out as well so making progress. Least its a bit cooler today, that shed gets like an oven most days. Should have the whole front completely stripped this arvo, then can get into the parts wagon & start swapping every thing over......
Picture036.jpg

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well that's me for the day, she's completely stripped. Dash frame is out as well as the front end, weather permitting i'll start on the parts wagon tomorrow. Found a bit more rust but i'll soon sort that, shes done well considering she's 31 years old. So yeah pretty happy with today's effort....
Picture040-1.jpg
Picture037.jpg
Picture038.jpg
Picture039-1.jpg

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well that's the radiator support welded in, be easy to make some brackets to support the front stone tray to which i was a bit worried about. On the hunt for a new stone tray as the one on her's pretty messy, wouldnt take much to whip it off and change it with where she's at at pres....
Picture043.jpg
Picture041.jpg
Picture042.jpg

Start pulling the front end out of the parts wagon soon, not sure what else i'll do today. Heaps to do so just tackle what ever job jumps at me next lol

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Slowly making progress with the old girl, got to get some supplies to get some of the bigger stuff done. Figured out a plan for the heater wiring yesterday, i'm going to use the Vc heater with the Vl dash and was thinking i'll have to get a sparky to sort but i sure wont. As many will know the early heater switches burnt out so i'm going to use the Vc controls with a separate switch to operate the fan, for wires to lengthen up to the Vc heater fan & problem solved. So that's one problem solved.
Now next one to sort, has anyone got a picture of a Vk windscreen rubber on the inside. The Vc's have an edge that sticks out to fill the void up to the dash, that's going to stop the Vl dash top going right back so need to sort a plan there. I've seen pics of people cutting it back but that looks messy as so not keen on that idea. Touch wood a Vk one will solve the prob, they're a better looking unit anyway.
Well back to the shed & see what i can do today....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
I've trimmed that rubber back enough to get the dash in but hopefully the Vk rubbers better suited, will do some checking.
Got the dash frame sitting in there till i get some welding wire, done a trial fit of everything & looks good to. Will be getting a Calais instrument cluster at some stage soon as hate that blue criss cross crap on the standards ones, good to see it coming together slowly but surely......
Picture.jpg