Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VY SS, I Finally Got One

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Hi all,

Just bought a VY SS not too long ago, and having rather enjoyed browsing the other cars in this part of the forum I thought I'd put mine up too. I have owned a VY S in the same hot house green for the past 4 years, but it was always just a little disappointing to drive knowing that the SS was the one I wanted, so, I decided to just buy it!

Quick specs: 5.7L V8, 6-speed manual, 160,000kms, completely original.

As you can gather from the pictures (please excuse the poor lighting and my lack of photography skills) it's pretty much just as Holden sent it out of the factory. Which is what I was looking for really, one that hadn't already been played with. As far as the exterior goes, I plan to leave it looking just as it was supposed to, I've always loved the look of the car on the outside, the only thing I might consider doing is swapping the rear spoiler for the type that was found on the VZ which is in all aspects pretty identical to the VY spoiler, but has the ridges underneath that I've always thought flow nicely with the black centre section of the rear bumper. Other than that all I plan to do is rub the headlights back as they're a bit worn, get the paint touched up later on to get rid of stone chips and scratches and have the wheels redone as they have a little bit of damage from previous owners.

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

Mechanically on the other hand, I'm having trouble deciding how far I want to go with the car. I'd like to maintain a fairly original appearance to the engine bay though. At the very least I'd like to do the usual:
-Extractors (4 into 1's or Tri-Y's, not sure)
-High flow cats
-2.5" twin catback (I read a lot of things saying to go for 3", but as best I can tell the 3" tips don't fit correctly in the cutout of the rear bumper, they sort of just hang below it, which to me has always looked sort of broken. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong there? But I'm looking more for sound and aesthetics than I am every last bit of power I can get)
-OTR intake
-MAFless edit.

And possibly:
-Higher ratio diff gears
-Short shifter (Maybe a rip shifter?)
-4 piston AP Racing brakes and big rotors front and rear, slotted not drilled (funds permitting, I know the Harrop ones are a bit cheaper, but I prefer the look of the AP Racing brakes)
-Pedders adjustable coilovers and rollbars (again, funds permitting, not really interested in lowering the car, would just like better cornering)

But I'm not sure how far I'll go beyond that.

On the topic of exhaust systems though, any advice would be appreciated as I've looked at so many options and now I'm just lost. I'd like something that is loud without being over the top. Any brands in particular I should consider? Like I said, not trying to go for maximum power, but I do want a quality built system that will last.

Interior-Dash.jpg

Interior-Seats.jpg

As for the interior, I'd like to do some work there too, but still maintain the sort of look that could have come from the factory. The list of interior changes goes like this:
-Reupholster the seats in black leather with perforated leather down the middle, with either silver or green stitching, and of course the SS logo embroidered in either green or black.
-Handbrake and gear shifter with the leather and satin silver found in later model VY/VZ's and match the stitching to whatever I settle on for the seats.
-Leather console lid and bolstered leather wheel found in later models, and again match the stitching on both of these.
-Change all the dash plastics that are in the rather awful hot house green/silver with the satin silver that you'd find in any other coloured VY SS.
-Change the roof lining and pillar linings to black and replace the centre mounted interior light with the front mount interior light found in the VZ's.

Not really too interested in sound systems as the stereo only gets minimal use. I bought this car to just be a weekender and so when I take it for a drive I go out through the Adelaide Hills and find some nice winding roads, so all I want to listen to is the car. Apart from that it'll see some occasional highway use where the stereo will be on, but the standard setup will be fine.

So, that's about it! Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my essay, more pictures will probably follow when a sunnier day comes along, any feedback and thoughts are more than welcome ;)

UPDATE: Just took some new photos tonight, let me know what you think!

SS-Parked.jpg

SS-Headlight.jpg

SS-Wires.jpg

SS-Side.jpg

Last edited:

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Nice ride man. Welcome to the club, and you got a sweet colour too :p

In case you want to keep the interior original, Holden still have a few of the hot house seat skins (fabric and foam that goes over the metal seat frame) in their spare parts stores. They're not super hard to fit.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hi all,

Just bought a VY SS not too long ago, and having rather enjoyed browsing the other cars in this part of the forum I thought I'd put mine up too. I have owned a VY S in the same hot house green for the past 4 years, but it was always just a little disappointing to drive knowing that the SS was the one I wanted, so, I decided to just buy it!

Quick specs: 5.7L V8, 6-speed manual, 160,000kms, completely original.

Get the seat fixed as Big-Al said and leave it as it is,because going by the photo,s that SS is straight as a nun and enjoy it for what it is,not what it can be,
only my 2 bobs worth mate I be proud to have it,:smoking:
Cheers CONROD

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate, I'm pretty happy with it. I've been watching Carsales for about a year until I found this one! I was looking for this colour in particular and original ones are getting hard to find with low(ish) kms. Thanks for the tip on the seats. The drivers seat foams are pretty worse for wear. All the others are pretty good though. The cloth on the rear seats still looks like new. Having only just bought the car I'm pretty broke but I'll check it out once the bank balance tops up a bit again!

<andy9>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 6.0LTR M6
Nice car mate. Hothouse looks so dam good when clean and shinning. Keep it reasonably original as you said but definatly get some lowered springs and shocks (coilovers as you mentioned) and maybe some wheels something from hsv would suit nicely. Exhaust, otr an tune will get it moving abit quicker.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey CONROD, I know exactly what you mean. Honestly the car is fantastic, I love it. It's not coincidence that I hunted so long for this exact car. To tell the truth I've spent a lot of time yo-yo'ing between mod it/keep it original. And I thought I'd made up my mind until you said that. Argh! Haha. Its for this reason that I wanted to buy an original one, because if I want to keep it original, there's nothing I need to strip from it, and if I do modify I can decide how far removed from original I'm going to go. Honestly though what I did leave out of my first post is that the first step is to go right through it and replace anything that isn't up to scratch, it doesn't need much though which is nice.

As for what Andy said, I definitely won't be swapping the wheels over for anything else, and if I do go for coil overs it will be for a better ride, it won't he going much lower if lower at all.

And I guess it comes back to that, if I do modify the car. I don't want to look at it and see that its modified. Only while driving it do I want to be able to hear and feel that there's any difference at all. For as much as I love the car as it is, when you're driving through tight bends and going through the gears turn after turn, you can just feel that it's got more to give. That said, the brakes are worn and it does need some suspension bushes and linkages, so that could well be it! Time will tell! Cheers guys.

<andy9>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 6.0LTR M6
Fair enough mate ^^ at the end of the day it's your car do exactly what you want not what others want.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough mate ^^ at the end of the day it's your car do exactly what you want not what others want.

Too true Andy, otherwise we'd all be driving around in the same thing (though some would argue that Commodore drivers are all driving around in the same thing haha). I do love chatting about it though and getting other peoples thoughts and feedback. Hopefully I didn't seem like I was shutting you down there its just that the wheels and ride height are two things I've settled on after a fair while. For a long time I was contemplating the 10 spoke HSV wheels they released on the Z Series R8, and for as much as I still think they'd look awesome I still prefer the stock SS wheels haha. I do agree that the exhaust and tune etc will liven it up, which would be nice. It really doesn't make a whole lot of noise at the moment o.o

<andy9>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 6.0LTR M6
Nah all good buddy. No harm done. They are so quiet standard arnt they!

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Hi all,

I have owned a VY S in the same hot house green for the past 4 years, but it was always just a little disappointing to drive knowing that the SS was the one I wanted, so, I decided to just buy it!

A bit like me when I brought my SS...