Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP - Gearbox Seals?

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure where the leak is and how much, im just going by what the owner tells me. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow. He says its his sons old car and he got a new one so he cant be buggered fixing it. His words were "You can't really drive it home, it'll be out of oil by the time you get home."

So it sounds like a fair bit. But i cant really work on it 90mins form home. And i dont want to fork out the cash for a towtruck. I'll find out more info tomorrow.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I think it would get you that far,(if it is just a leaking seal).Just get 2 or 3 bottles of trans fluid.Its still cheaper than a tow truck.When the fluid gets low,you will notice the trans start to slip and not work properly,just fill it up again.It should be ok.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
let us know what he says. if its the front seal you wouldnt be able to do it on the spot but the rear seal dipstick tube and sumppan you could do it in half an hour

bottleinspector

power starved westy
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1
+1 for the front seal, may or may not pump the fluid out in minutes, depending on damage..
you'll probably spend more on fluid in a 1/2 trip than on a new seal.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
yep really cheap front seal no more that $15 same as rear and sump gasket and filter no more than $25 oils the expencive bit but if you dont know how to take gearbox out and do it a shop will charge a bit in laubor

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
If its just a front, rear or pan seal it will be a cheap fix. All be at worst you may have to pull the box out to do the front seal. As far as getting it home, you need to find out how bad it leaks. Last thing you want is to fug the auto. Also transmission fluid isnt like cheap motor oil, it does cost a little bit and you need to work out that cost as it may be cheaper to hire a car trailer for half a day.

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
just got off the phone with the vehicle owner. His words were, "If you top it up before you leave then again half way for safety sake, it should make it back. But i cant guarantee anything."

So i think i'm going to risk it. Being a bit dumb but does he mean transmission fluid or oil or both? or is it the same ****. lol.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Engine oil and automatic transmission fluid are two different things.And theres different types of trans fluid as well.You need " dexron 3" type trans fluid for a commodore 4 speed automatic transmission.

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got back from supercheap the guy gave me the trans fluid you said and it's cheaper than i thought and it's castrol. Thanks for the help guys i'll get back to you if i have any more problems and i'll let you know how getting the car home went tomorrow night.