Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help!! Major problem with Brakes

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Ok guys, ill give you a run down on the activities of my car today and the problems that have arose.

Today was hot! So I drove to the beach with mates in my VY with the car running perfectly.
Didnt thrash it at all just cruised along but it was a long drive (around 1 hour 15 min).

As I returned home I had to pick up my little brother from a friends house, I didnt stay for long, probably about 15 minutes with the car running in park with the handbrake on the whole time.

when I went to leave and relieve the handbrake, the BRAKE (!) warning lights came on as if the handbrake was still on. I then proceeded to idle forward as I thought it couldnt have been but then I heard a weird tap sound.

After this I tried applying the brakes, which still slightly work, but I have to really but my foot down, as if theirs no pressure in the brake system? The brakes felt very weak compared to the norm.

I only live around 5 min away, so I drove home slowly. When I got home and out of the car their was a burning rubber type of smell.

And also the handbrake dash warning would go away but would jump back up on the screen whenever I had to brake.

Im having the car towed to my mechanic tomorrow morning. Ive come to you guys for some thoughts on what It could be? And (Im guessing) It will be expensive, but I just wanted a heads up.

cheers James, thanks in advanced If you could help.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
The booster may have **** itself

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Perhaps the handbrake warning light is just jammed in the ON position or the handbrake cable has seized. Shouldn't be too expensive. Probably less than $150 or so.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Could be the hose to the brake booster has spilt.

As the handbrake his it own brake shoes in the rear disc inner surface that has nothing to do with the caliper brake pads.

Check in your engine bay where the hose goes to the brake booster and make sure there is no fluid leaking from the master cylinder.

Yep get a mechanic to check it.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Ok thanks guys, so probably something relating to the booster. Im not that Knowledgeable with car mechanics, although I did check the brake booster (big round thing on the left) and it seemed to look fine. What exectly is the master cylinder? Ive heard that before but not sure what it looks like.

Ill have another look at the hoses surrounding it.

Hopefully it isnt to expensive :( I was planning on buying wheels with what Ive saved up recently, it would be such a waste.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
The master cylinder is the clear "reservoir" at the booster that contains the brake fluid.
If the booster is stuffed then you won't know for sure until it is removed and the diaphragm is checked.