Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 2012 SV6 Sportwagon running rough after 4 days

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
just keep in mind these auto techs likely drive up to or more than 6 cars each day so i think they would know if something was drastically different. The other side to it is that if there is a fault, they get paid for fixing it from Holden so there would be no reason to try to dodge costs. Warranty work would be a very large portion of their income

If i was you i would go back to the sales department complaining about it. Take their demonstrator for a run with a sales or workshop manager and then take yours for a drive to compare. It could be running rough or your expectations could be too high but none of us can tell what the issue is without driving your vehicle and another to compare.

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 Commodore Sportswagon
Not blaming you what so ever - how are you supposed to know when you fill the tank? Every once in a while I do get a dud tank of fuel (suspect water is mixed in for one recently) and the car ran great for most of it and then a real dog after. Within a few km of the new tank (went from near bone dry to full) it was running fine again. In your case, if it isn't throwing up error codes (1st thing Holden would check) and all the sensors are working, fuel would be my primary suspect.

Dunno - running rough/shuddering isn't normal for any brand new car but It's difficult without being there in person.

Reaper

The problems started halfway through a tank of premium, and have become worse as I've neared the halfway point of the current tank of regular - so it would have to be two dud tanks in a row, which would be incredibly bad luck considering I went to two different petrol stations when filling up. I guess it's a possibility though.

Like everyone here has said - it's pretty hard for anyone to know what the problem is without driving the car. I don't think my expectations are too high - a $42,000 car should run normally far beyond 3 days of buying it brand new. I've had other people in the car and they've also felt the shuddering and said something isn't right with it.

They're still looking at the car today, so I'll keep you updated. They've waited until it's cold, and I've very specifically instructed them on turning it on, and sitting for a couple of minutes with it in park so they can feel it. I haven't heard back from them so hopefully they've found something.

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
They just called back. They say they ran the car cold like I instructed them to and have felt the shudder I'm talking about. They said they then went into the showroom and started a new SV6 (with only 9kms on it) in there and it did the same rough shuddering. They have therefore concluded that this kind of running rough is just 'normal' for the car. It never did it for my car in the first three days, so why suddenly start? They pulled the whole 'different temperatures and changing fuels' line - which is crap, because it was consistently cold during the first week of ownership and it was on one tank of petrol. Something changed with how the car was running.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. They've told me it's normal and there's nothing they can do. If this is how Holden's are designed to run brand new then they are pieces of ****. I've driven plenty of new cars before and they run smoothly for a long time. My only resort would be to get a second opinion from a good mechanic that I know - although they wouldn't be able to do any work because it would void the warranty. Pretty crap experience all in all, and I've paid 42 grand for the privilege. Urgh..

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
Like everyone here has said - it's pretty hard for anyone to know what the problem is without driving the car. I don't think my expectations are too high - a $42,000 car should run normally far beyond 3 days of buying it brand new. I've had other people in the car and they've also felt the shuddering and said something isn't right with it.

They're still looking at the car today, so I'll keep you updated. They've waited until it's cold, and I've very specifically instructed them on turning it on, and sitting for a couple of minutes with it in park so they can feel it. I haven't heard back from them so hopefully they've found something.
it certainly should run normally. The issue i am concerned about what you've stated is it is running rough but the people that deal with these vehicles every day cannot ID what you are referring to so cannot look for a running problem. It's easy to say there is something wrong with it and slag off the mechanics and dealership but i'm sure they would try to fix the issue if they could see there is one.

what i mean about expectations is it is a $42,000 vehicle and may not run as smooth as say a bentley continental which would cost significantly more obviously. if they cannot find anything again, i guess you'll need to prove it to them somehow, another drive in their demonstrator will help i'm sure. Good luck, i hope it is resolved quickly.

I don't envy the mechanics these days, they really have a difficult time with some vehicles. I worked in a dealership last year and some of the things that happen really are impossible issues for mechanics. When a customer complains about a fault that cannot be ID'd it just becomes a merry go round of grumpy customer and "what do we do". I changed a thermostat a few months ago on my VN SS, removed the housing, changed the thermostat, bolt the housing back on with new gaskets and filled the water back up. i gave the top hose a squeez & the coolant pissed out everywhere but it wasn't leaking before i pulled it off. When i removed it again i discovered the housing had warped by a few mm so sometimes things happen through no real fault of your own. We just have to deal with it.

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
They just called back. They say they ran the car cold like I instructed them to and have felt the shudder I'm talking about. They said they then went into the showroom and started a new SV6 (with only 9kms on it) in there and it did the same rough shuddering. They have therefore concluded that this kind of running rough is just 'normal' for the car. It never did it for my car in the first three days, so why suddenly start? They pulled the whole 'different temperatures and changing fuels' line - which is crap, because it was consistently cold during the first week of ownership and it was on one tank of petrol. Something changed with how the car was running.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. They've told me it's normal and there's nothing they can do. If this is how Holden's are designed to run brand new then they are pieces of ****. I've driven plenty of new cars before and they run smoothly for a long time. My only resort would be to get a second opinion from a good mechanic that I know - although they wouldn't be able to do any work because it would void the warranty. Pretty crap experience all in all, and I've paid 42 grand for the privilege. Urgh..

that sucks. I wouldn't accept that it's normal, i would pursue it as if they are all faulty but then i guess that also comes down to how bad the shudder it. There may be a campaign bought out by holden once they sort out how to fix the issue, until then if the issue was bad enough for me i would be seeking to return it.

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
if your not happy with it take it back until it is sorted, either fixed or money back which ever suits you i think.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Reaper mentioned about water in fuel. That made me think - in my boat (and most decently set up), I've got a fuel water separator. You cant afford to compromise your fuel in a boat if you are way out to sea etc. If you get dodgy fuel/water contamination (planes have checks for this too), then the motor can run rough as guts.

I'm no mechanic, but I would imagine the service dept you are dealing with would have checked things such as the fuel filter etc

The only problem with this theory is that the car on the floor did the same thing... my old's sv6 doesnt shudder, cold or warm. I often think of how smooth it is when i go in it.

I hope you get it sorted.

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
if the one in the showroom does it to then i'd say it's a design issue, could be fuel but less likely i reckon

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
it certainly should run normally. The issue i am concerned about what you've stated is it is running rough but the people that deal with these vehicles every day cannot ID what you are referring to so cannot look for a running problem. It's easy to say there is something wrong with it and slag off the mechanics and dealership but i'm sure they would try to fix the issue if they could see there is one.

what i mean about expectations is it is a $42,000 vehicle and may not run as smooth as say a bentley continental which would cost significantly more obviously. if they cannot find anything again, i guess you'll need to prove it to them somehow, another drive in their demonstrator will help i'm sure. Good luck, i hope it is resolved quickly.

I don't envy the mechanics these days, they really have a difficult time with some vehicles. I worked in a dealership last year and some of the things that happen really are impossible issues for mechanics. When a customer complains about a fault that cannot be ID'd it just becomes a merry go round of grumpy customer and "what do we do". I changed a thermostat a few months ago on my VN SS, removed the housing, changed the thermostat, bolt the housing back on with new gaskets and filled the water back up. i gave the top hose a squeez & the coolant pissed out everywhere but it wasn't leaking before i pulled it off. When i removed it again i discovered the housing had warped by a few mm so sometimes things happen through no real fault of your own. We just have to deal with it.

I'm not trying to 'slag off' the mechanics, but when they are feeding me ridiculous excuses about it being the difference in premium and regular petrol, or saying that this shuddering is completely normal for a brand new car, you have to wonder what the hell they are thinking.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The problems started halfway through a tank of premium, and have become worse as I've neared the halfway point of the current tank of regular - so it would have to be two dud tanks in a row, which would be incredibly bad luck considering I went to two different petrol stations when filling up. I guess it's a possibility though.

Entirely depends if you emptied all the fuel out or not between fills. The water may not be uniformly mixed thru all the fuel (if that is the issue). If you are still not happy with the dealers answer then maybe try another dealer?

Reaper