Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 2012 SV6 Sportwagon running rough after 4 days

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
And if I understand the chemistry right, water will always drop to the bottom and fuel to the top. So if the fuel pickup in the tank is at the bottom (you'd think it was), then you are likely to ingest water regardless if you've topped the tank up afterwards.

The car on the floor could have dodgy fuel - who knows what quality fuel they put in the car at the factory or at dealers...

You'd want to get the dealer to start a few v6's and see if they all do it. I bet they dont.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
And if I understand the chemistry right, water will always drop to the bottom and fuel to the top. So if the fuel pickup in the tank is at the bottom (you'd think it was), then you are likely to ingest water regardless if you've topped the tank up afterwards.

The car on the floor could have dodgy fuel - who knows what quality fuel they put in the car at the factory or at dealers...

You'd want to get the dealer to start a few v6's and see if they all do it. I bet they dont.

Yeah but that is based on distilling it on a stable surface. It does weird random stuff sloshing around the tank

Reaper

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 Commodore Sportswagon
I was just thinking - if the water always sat at the bottom of the tank, technically you would never get rid of it unless you ran the car until it ran out of petrol completely. Even running it extremely low it would have a few litres left in it, which would be where the water would still sit. I ran the first tank down until it was on the fuel light, but there still would have been some petrol there obviously. Hopefully the 'sloshing around' theory is correct!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
you can use metho anD E10 to get rid of water.

Metho(ETHANOL) will bond to the water, hence causing it to be burnt off more effectively.

Then run a injector cleaner.

Now thats if its water in the system

Last edited:

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Went back last night to pick up the car. They pretty much confirmed that all they do is check what the car's computers are telling them. "These computers are so advanced - they tell you whether there's anything wrong with the car. We plug our equipment into the computer and if there's anything wrong the computer tells us, and it said the car's fine." Surely the computers can't pick up everything that's wrong with a car. Computers have errors too.

They also confirmed that their conclusion of this being 'normal' for the SV6 was based purely on their starting up of the other SV6 in the showroom. These cars were probably made in the same batch at the factory, but the possibility of them both having the same problem obviously didn't occur to them. I also doubt that the new one would have had the same level of shuddering as mine.

They then questioned the fuel I was putting in - which was a valid question, but they then claimed that the problems might be because I bought the premium fuel at United. "Stay away from United, they are really bad! Stick to Shell, BP and Mobil, stay away from Safeway too." When I informed them that the second tank was from Shell the guy we had been dealing with chimed in with "Yeah but that was just regular wasn't it." As if the car should run poorly on normal fuel. Looking for any bloody excuse it seems.

We spoke to the service manager and he was actually very helpful. He agreed that the car shouldn't have changed how it's running, and wants to look further into the problem. I'll take the car back on Saturday morning, he'll hold onto it for a couple of days so they can test it further and I'll get another car from them to drive in the meantime. I'm predicting they still won't find anything and I'll end up in the same place, but at least it was nice to get someone helpful as opposed to the 'nothing wrong with it' line.

Tonyla1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series ii SV6
I've had my SII SV6 for just over twelve months and it idles smoothly without any shudders. The only time I've noticed any roughness at startup is when the car has sat for a week without being driven. It then smooths out after a few seconds. I would not describe your issue as being "normal" for the SV6. FYI, I almost always run on BP Ultima 98

Hope you get it sorted.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Went back last night to pick up the car. They pretty much confirmed that all they do is check what the car's computers are telling them. "These computers are so advanced - they tell you whether there's anything wrong with the car. We plug our equipment into the computer and if there's anything wrong the computer tells us, and it said the car's fine." Surely the computers can't pick up everything that's wrong with a car. Computers have errors too.

They also confirmed that their conclusion of this being 'normal' for the SV6 was based purely on their starting up of the other SV6 in the showroom. These cars were probably made in the same batch at the factory, but the possibility of them both having the same problem obviously didn't occur to them. I also doubt that the new one would have had the same level of shuddering as mine.

They then questioned the fuel I was putting in - which was a valid question, but they then claimed that the problems might be because I bought the premium fuel at United. "Stay away from United, they are really bad! Stick to Shell, BP and Mobil, stay away from Safeway too." When I informed them that the second tank was from Shell the guy we had been dealing with chimed in with "Yeah but that was just regular wasn't it." As if the car should run poorly on normal fuel. Looking for any bloody excuse it seems.

Nothing to do with your problem parse, but from a friend that works supplying to all the fuel brands in Aus, I'd stay away from United & Woolworths if you have a choice.

Reaper

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've had my SII SV6 for just over twelve months and it idles smoothly without any shudders. The only time I've noticed any roughness at startup is when the car has sat for a week without being driven. It then smooths out after a few seconds. I would not describe your issue as being "normal" for the SV6. FYI, I almost always run on BP Ultima 98

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks mate. I agree that this is not normal. When I stated that my brother in law has a new (6000kms) SV6 that doesn't run this way they said "Yeah but what year is it?" When I said 2012 they said "But it's not a 3.6 litre is it?" Actually, yes it is. They were pretty much calling an entire make of car crap rather than admit mine had a problem. Weird.

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing to do with your problem parse, but from a friend that works supplying to all the fuel brands in Aus, I'd stay away from United & Woolworths if you have a choice.

Reaper

Cheers, I will be doing that just to be safe. Out of curiosity - what makes these guys bad?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers, I will be doing that just to be safe. Out of curiosity - what makes these guys bad?

I'm not saying that you will get a dud batch of fuel from them, nor that other companies will never sell a dud tank (I got one from BP at one of their biggest/busiest sites) but on the whole the likelihood is much greater. The site policies and procedures at United are no where near what BP require, nor are the ones they have enforced to anywhere near the same degree. Similar goes with Woolies but not to the same degree. BP have the highest standards and Shell aren't far behind. NFI about 7-11 after they took over from Mobil. I was also separately recommended as BP Ultimate as the best fuel when I got the cam done in my Senator later last year.

Of course there are thousands (millions??) of customers that have never had a problem with United/Woolworths and that is entirely expected.

Reaper