Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New electric vehicles to be built in Adelaide...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I really can't see anyone converting old petrol bangers to EV's. It will just be way too costly and there will also be the issue of EV's communicating with each other as that's the way it's all heading and that just will not be viable nor will these older cars pass any compliancy that will come in with new rules.

To me many of these older cars will either be static displays or head off to the crushers. If anyone thinks that Governments are going to cater for us oldies then you are sadly mistaken.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I really can't see anyone converting old petrol bangers to EV's. It will just be way too costly and there will also be the issue of EV's communicating with each other as that's the way it's all heading and that just will not be viable nor will these older cars pass any compliancy that will come in with new rules.

To me many of these older cars will either be static displays or head off to the crushers. If anyone thinks that Governments are going to cater for us oldies then you are sadly mistaken.
I wasn't thinking of updating dungers. I had in mind real collector cars like immaculate early models that are now worth so much.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I wasn't thinking of updating dungers. I had in mind real collector cars like immaculate early models that are now worth so much.

Then once you do that to them they'll be worthless and not a true representation of what was originally built.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Have you seen Chev's eCrate concept ?

I see eCrates having legs in the future.

Yeah, I friggin' love that idea. EV Engineering (an old aussie company, now defunct) made a converted VE Calais once. Was pretty sick, but battery tech at the time wasn't even remotely good enough. Only had about 200km of range, but at the time that was pretty solid. I could feasibly see about 300-400km of charge in a pack that'd bolt into the existing fuel tank location on a VE. If you also ditch the gearbox and mount the motor in the tranny tunnel using a CF driveshaft to the diff, you could add even more under the hood. In fact, you'd need to to balance the weight out.

I think the conversion of valuable petrol vehicles into EV's will be big business for about five to ten years, while the market converts to EV's generally. Once the backlog of the old cars has been converted, the business will die out but it could be a lucrative few years for a company that establishes a good reputation for quality work.

Old classics don't normally get driven as much as dailies. The restricted range of EV's won't matter so much. I can't see it working for classic hi-po cars like a GTHO, but for early Holdens, Foulcans and Valiants with 6 cylinder engines, the conversions could make sense.

I agree, I wouldn't want to see a GTHO or an LE Monaro converted to Electric. E85 conversion seems like a more realistic option for these old cars, as their value lies in the complete package of motor, transmission and the car itself. As for older non-classics, like your HQ Belmonts or even VEs as they age? I could definitely see that happening.

It's actually already happening, albeit to a small scale. Companies like EVWorks Australia and EVWest in the USA are already doing conversions and selling conversion parts to tinkerers. EVWest in particular focuses on VW aircooled cars. I agree in the fact that governments "Aren't going to cater for us" but at the same time, they will indeed push the ultimatum which will cause the private market to react. Government has a real power over the economy, often in ways we forget that it has.

They'll put up the idea that you either pay a converter to have it converted, buy the parts and DIY it, or crush it for credit to a new car akin to the Scrappage scheme or Cash for Clunkers. That's not to say that normies will take the conversion route, they most definitely won't. Your VE's not going to handle your holophone 3000 in the future, and to be fair most of today's car buyers often put power and speed really low down on the list, instead opting for safety features and tech connectivity (In fact most of the current mods to my ute are connectivity and safety related.) But for us guys who love our older cars? There's a very real future in that. Especially at a DIY level.

As for the whole "EVs communicating with eachother" idea, there's already protocols in place for older cars that don't have said communication systems in place. Engineers have a habit of thinking about these things when designing systems, as their heads are on the chopping block if they don't.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Availability of petrol will make things interesting.
I think a number of factors will come into play.
1. Availability and cost of petrol
2. Improved range and reduced cost of EV's.
3. Government policy re fuel and charging taxes.
4. Government incentives to go electric, in line with emissions reduction policies.
5. Provision of public access rapid charging points, particularly in rural areas.
6. Cost of conversion to petrol vehicles.

Probably more, but you get the gist.

Last edited:

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I think a number of factors will come into play.
1. Availability and cost of petrol
2. Improved range and reduces cost of EV's.
3. Government policy re fuel and charging taxes.
4. Government incentives to go electric, in line with emissions reduction policies.
5. Provision of public access rapid charging points, particularly in rural areas.
6. Cost of conversion to petrol vehicles.

Probably more, but you get the gist.

4: Yep, we're seeing this already in the public sector here. There's a big push to go to much more fuel efficient vehicles on our approvals list. My entire department switched its fleet to smaller diesels and hybrid corollas.
Also 5? Perth's got next to no EV charging points... I think only the elder street carpark's got decent EV charging in the CBD. There's barely any other locations around here. haha.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The funny thing about the need for increased use of EV, 's is that it comes on the heels of a huge switch to larger utes and light trucks at the expense of more economical cars. I often think those buying these wretched things lack any foresight, as well as any idea of what a decent vehicle is. My son in law recently purchased a four door Triton ute for family use. Three young kids, one a newborn. Absolutely useless as a family vehicle. Cramped rear seat and harsh, bumpy ride. What exactly is the point of them? FIIK.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think there will be a few making their own in the back shed if it was not imported. Remember they encouraged people to go LPG cleaner for the environment hell they even paid most of the conversion cost with their subsidies grants, that was a flop we went away from that.
You have politicians talking about gas fired power stations in replace of coal. If gas is better then what happened to that movement?
What happened to gas in Australia? We sold it all to China, that's what.
As usual, Stupid Australia, realises we have something valuable, and sells it off to whoever wants it. I'm glad I don't have gas heating at home, have you seen the price of gas lately? All because we sold most of it and everyone is fighting over what's left..

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What exactly is the point of them?

Dick swinging with the Joneses ?

And.....

weaners.jpg

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
What happened to gas in Australia? We sold it all to China, that's what.
As usual, Stupid Australia, realises we have something valuable, and sells it off to whoever wants it. I'm glad I don't have gas heating at home, have you seen the price of gas lately? All because we sold most of it and everyone is fighting over what's left..

Doesn't help that we keep electing the Liberal party, the pack of morons which allow this **** to happen.

Whitlam wanted to nationalise our mines and got ousted by the CIA because of it. Rudd put the mining tax up for that exact reason (To keep at least a small amount of money in Australia). Liberals are also notorious for whittling agencies down to the bare essentials. They refuse to increase funding to APRA and ASIC. They refuse to budge on any agency that'll cop fines onto the rich who stash their money in offshore tax havens. You could've had those funding increases in the last election, but ohhh no... Queensland decided to blindly obey the Courier Mail.

Subscribe to FriendlyJordies.