Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust System - No Crackles n pops?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Then someone mentions Harley Davidsons...
potato potato spud spud farrrrrrt farrrrrrrrrt when they go. cops don't care

just don't try and ride any of them quickly around corners, they aint known in the
bike community as Highly Dangerous for nothing :eek:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Then someone mentions Harley Davidsons...

Funny you mention them...Watching a cop show of the telly last, a Harley rider was pulled for a breatho and the cops chatted him over the straight pipes....

The only thing that annoys me with them is, when they go out late at night....During the day, I don't care....

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
potato potato spud spud farrrrrrt farrrrrrrrrt when they go. cops don't care

just don't try and ride any of them quickly around corners, they aint known in the
bike community as Highly Dangerous for nothing :eek:
Or Hardly Rideable, big V twin sludge pumps...

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Pops and crackles are for P platers in eurotrash and jap cars, not V8's :)

However if you must, you add more fuel in on deceleration in the tune. Thats what causes the crackling, it's unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Your tuner likely leaned it up, as lean AFR's makes power. The factory tunes are very rich to accomodate all types of fuel and conditions etc where as tuners are after maximum performance.

Pops and crackles are caused by purposely making your car inefficient, not because they are making more power.
What a stellar post, I'd rate that 12 out of 10!

A properly tuned engine shouldn't back cackle on overrun as the air/fuel ratio should remain constant at closed throttle. Ignition timing should decrease on overrun at the same rate it increases at full throttle and is the reason sprint cars don't crackle and pop on overrun with mechanical injection and magneto ignition, as you can't manipulate the tune to do so as you can with EFI.

The crackle and pop started with overrun boost on turbo engines to keep the turbo spooled up and someone decided that NA V8's should do it too and manipulated the tune to induce it. Back in the carby days if you tuned a car that back cackled on overrun, you'd be accused of doing a crap job and the customer would want their money back!

Last edited: