Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust System - No Crackles n pops?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I don’t know how exhausts that snap, crackle and pop ever complied with ADR83 considering some of the standard factory vehicles must been well over 90 db when farting at decel.

Guess it’s just the lax test procedures of ADR83 itself which limit v8’s to 3900RPM during a stationary test in neutral. That’s unless the RPM at Engine Speed at Maximum Power (ESMP) can been determined by the authority in which case it’s 3/4 of ESMP RPM, but IIRC our V8’s have their RPM’s limited when in neutral so ESMP can’t be determined :rolleyes: Smells a bit dieselgate like if one can’t rev an engine, in neutral, be to max RPM when stationary because the real reason is passing noise pollution laws while cars are noisier when actually driven :rolleyes:

At least the test procedures requires the released quickly from the test RPM so decal pop & crackle can in theory be measured (unless again dieselgate style sw limits pos and crackles only when the vehicle is under movement) :oops:

I guess it’s the SSDD when looking at UN Regulation 51 or whatever is acceptable in lieu of ADR83.

Obviously, I’m anti noise as I don't like to be unnecessarily disturbed during the day or night time. IMO, it’s somewhat pathetic that regulators have not updated that ADR / UN Reg test procedures to better capture such silly manufacturers antics so that the intent of the noise pollution laws can be fully fulfilled (i.e. quiet cars but not EV quiet which can be a danger in itself).

And obviously most/all will think it’s just me but that’s ok, each to their own.

What’s odd though is that owners who install louder exhaust must know they are in essence braking laws (by virtue of getting tunes that haven’t been certified by pollution laws, at a minimum, thus the vehicle is delectable). So why attract even more attention to one’s self by making a loud exhaust even louder via what must be much louder snap crackle and pop noises?

If I modded my car‘ exhaust and tune so that it’s defectable, I’d think I’d want to fly under the radar as much as possible. I‘d want to attract as little attention to my self as possible. After all, I‘d hate to be driving down the road, see a police speed check late, shite myself and come off the accelerator to tap the brakes only to have a rather loud snap, crackle and pops farted out the exhaust as I pass the police, then shite myself again :oops::p

Ah, youth… must have better sphincter control :p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What’s odd though is that owners who install louder exhaust must know they are in essence braking laws (by virtue of getting tunes that haven’t been certified by pollution laws, at a minimum, thus the vehicle is delectable). So why attract even more attention to one’s self by making a loud exhaust even louder via what must be much louder snap crackle and pop noises?

Most wouldn't have a clue about legalities...."everyone does it".

And, I guess, many do it coz they do find it delectable. ;)

Mattsvf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series 2
I don’t know how exhausts that snap, crackle and pop ever complied with ADR83 considering some of the standard factory vehicles must been well over 90 db when farting at decel.

Guess it’s just the lax test procedures of ADR83 itself which limit v8’s to 3900RPM during a stationary test in neutral. That’s unless the RPM at Engine Speed at Maximum Power (ESMP) can been determined by the authority in which case it’s 3/4 of ESMP RPM, but IIRC our V8’s have their RPM’s limited when in neutral so ESMP can’t be determined :rolleyes: Smells a bit dieselgate like if one can’t rev an engine, in neutral, be to max RPM when stationary because the real reason is passing noise pollution laws while cars are noisier when actually driven :rolleyes:

At least the test procedures requires the released quickly from the test RPM so decal pop & crackle can in theory be measured (unless again dieselgate style sw limits pos and crackles only when the vehicle is under movement) :oops:

I guess it’s the SSDD when looking at UN Regulation 51 or whatever is acceptable in lieu of ADR83.

Obviously, I’m anti noise as I don't like to be unnecessarily disturbed during the day or night time. IMO, it’s somewhat pathetic that regulators have not updated that ADR / UN Reg test procedures to better capture such silly manufacturers antics so that the intent of the noise pollution laws can be fully fulfilled (i.e. quiet cars but not EV quiet which can be a danger in itself).

And obviously most/all will think it’s just me but that’s ok, each to their own.

If I modded my car‘ exhaust and tune so that it’s defectable, I’d think I’d want to fly under the radar as much as possible. I‘d want to attract as little attention to my self as possible. After all, I‘d hate to be driving down the road, see a police speed check late, shite myself and come off the accelerator to tap the brakes only to have a rather loud snap, crackle and pops farted out the exhaust as I pass the police, then shite myself again :oops::p

I dunno mate. Each to their own, but some of us like loud and obnoxious

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Haha that is such a good idea to get through a sound test. Change rev limit aka fuel cut off in neutral in HP tuners to 2k.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

There are a few European cars that make snap, crackle and pop noises through the factory system....BMW M series (I think), Mercs (E63 I think), Volkswagon Golfs and Ford's Focus RS , just off the top of my head.

I'll add in, it does get frustrating that we modify out systems on later era Commodores, the locals get a little annoyed at us, yet we have these imports I have mentioned that get away with it....

Oh and I didn't read your thread in it's entirety

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There are a few European cars that make snap, crackle and pop noises through the factory system....BMW M series (I think), Mercs (E63 I think), Volkswagon Golfs and Ford's Focus RS , just off the top of my head.

I'll add in, it does get frustrating that we modify out systems on later era Commodores, the locals get a little annoyed at us, yet we have these imports I have mentioned that get away with it....

Oh and I didn't read your thread in it's entirety
Then someone mentions Harley Davidsons...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Speaking of those, someone around here is riding one of those like a ******** along with some of his mates. Wouldn't be surprised if they were modified and been ridden by fuckwits wearing cuts. Be a real shame if they had a sudden unexpected stop.

I do wish the cops would use the existing noise rules to take all those bikes off the road.