Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust System - No Crackles n pops?

Mattsvf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series 2
Hi All,

Hoping i can get some expertise in here.

I have a 2016 VF SS Sedan, and for the longest time, I was just running an XForce catback. This week I finally took the plunge and got a DPE/Manta 3" exhaust, Ceramic headers, high flow cats, VCM OTR and a dyno tune.

The exhaust sounds great... but i've lost all pops and crackles. I was expecting to have more, not zero.

Is this common, and if so what can i do to get some crackle and pop back?

Thanks!

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
It is in the tune. Go back to the place that tuned your car and ask to add. Most tuners remove or reduce for better fuel efficiency. When I had my car returned, I specifically told my tuner not to reduce the crackle n pops.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Pops and crackles are for P platers in eurotrash and jap cars, not V8's :)

However if you must, you add more fuel in on deceleration in the tune. Thats what causes the crackling, it's unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Your tuner likely leaned it up, as lean AFR's makes power. The factory tunes are very rich to accomodate all types of fuel and conditions etc where as tuners are after maximum performance.

Pops and crackles are caused by purposely making your car inefficient, not because they are making more power.

Last edited:

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Yes the DPE tends to have less crackle and pops but the note is far superior.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Mattsvf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series 2
Pops and crackles are for P platers in eurotrash and jap cars, not V8's :)

However if you must, you add more fuel in on deceleration in the tune. Thats what causes the crackling, it's unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Your tuner likely leaned it up, as lean AFR's makes power. The factory tunes are very rich to accomodate all types of fuel and conditions etc where as tuners are after maximum performance.

Pops and crackles are caused by purposely making your car inefficient, not because they are making more power.
Soooo many V8's pop and crackle, and it sounds great. Appreciate your expertise though