Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Monaro in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by Tsunamix, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    OK, so let's forget the name Monaro for a minute. Assuming this thing ever gets here under the Holden banner, what would you call it?

Avista doesn't do much for me, but foreign nameplates have been successful for Holden in the past. Commodore was originally a piss-weak Opel that self-destructed during road testing here in the mid 70's, but the name caught on, probably because the original VB was such a good car in comparison with its opposition at that time and was very heavily Australian-engineered by Holden. I haven't seen any reference to a proposed name for the Opel show car.

So, suggestions?

My two bob's worth.

Vendetta or Vigilante. I don't think either name has been used on a mass-produced car before.

2. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    How about the Holden Death Knell

3. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....it's just that my eye beholds no beauty in that thing !!

I don't mind those names Calaber, however to me they conjure images of something that is badass and when I think badass I don't think of an over stylised V6 anything.

4. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    That's very cynical, Noe. But i think that would have been better suited to something like the Malibu.

@VS.

Well one day the biggest affordable badass probably will be no bigger than a V6.

I really think that the V8 fraternity need to understand that as far as Australia is concerned there won't be any V8 GM models before long.

5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Can't argue there Calaber.....still makes me sad though :(

6. Tsunamix

Tsunamix Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT 2
    think I'll add something.

The first Torana was a rebadged opel cadet - TA Torana. It sucked and then vomited hairy microscopic balls everythere with it's 1.3L 4Cyl engine.

Tne Backfire ...I Mean Starfire 4Cyl toranas's carried right throught to the UC model.

And you say that this reasonably swoopy looking twin turbo 6 isn't fit to be called a Torana ?

Same think with the Monaro nameplate. First arrived on a tudor HK, although with a reasonable chev 327 engine. Still not a page on HQ or VT Munro's. Again - the new opel actually looks good by comparison.

7. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Those things were the newborns that shat and farted like all babies and then grew up into the muscle cars that many love.

TBH, unless a new model harks back to the original nameplate in both looks and emotions (I'm looking at Mustang, Camaro and Challenger as examples of some that do), I don't believe an old nameplate should be revived at all.

8. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory.
    It doesn't matter what it is/was called because GM has stated that it won't be built.
    Even if it was built and came here as a Monaro, I wouldn't swap my CV8 for one, because a Monaro is an Oz built 2 door Kingswood or Commodore.
    I still lament that the Coupe60 did not see the roads as a Monaro, because I would have had to get one.

9. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Nup. The first "Torana" was a rebadged and little changed Vauxhall HB series Viva. It was even called the HB here. The TA Torana was the last of the LC/LJ/TA body shells - it was a stop-gap model and a very poor seller because it was hopelessly outdone by the competition when it was introduced in 1974, but there was no four cylinder option initially offered in the larger LH series introduced at the same time.

The "Starrfire" wasn't introduced UNTIL partway through production of the UC, when the Sunbird SLE was released. That engine was also fitted to some Coronas, the VC and early VH's. The four cylinder engine used in the LH, LX and early UC was the 1900 Opel.

You're right about one thing though. No matter which four cylinder engine was fitted, they were all utterly gutless.

10. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VXII Clubsport
  11. RWD4ever

RWD4ever Member

Members Ride:
    VS3 ute
    Actually, it was designed in Australia, and the prototype knocked together in Australia ... but it will probably be made in China.

12. Tsunamix

Tsunamix Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT 2
    Umm.. Vauxhall Viva and Opel Kadett are the same thing. Same chasis, about 85% off body panels in common. Look at the windscreen scuttle and grille, roof line and rear wasitline.

Hate to tell you this but teh starfire four engine - 1897 cc Opel CIH I4, was sold in the LH, LX Sunbird, just wasn't called the Starfire before the UC, because it wasn'tmade locally before then.

13. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  14. Tsunamix

Tsunamix Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT 2
    Ahem...

Cohort Classic: Holden Torana LX Sunbird 1900 (Starfire Four) – Borrowing A Few Names Along With The Design Cues

I know - you can't trust websites. I'm still looking for the workshop manual from GMH which listed the starfire' family' of motors. I had it when I was a grease monkey...

Oh and the Opel and Vauxhall were jointly developed by the Vauxhall design team. They are the same bloody car, with marketing level differences.In the end the the outcome was the joint Vauxhall & Opel OHV Programme.

VAUXHALL HA - VIVA

15. Tsunamix

Tsunamix Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT 2
    Ahem...

Cohort Classic: Holden Torana LX Sunbird 1900 (Starfire Four) – Borrowing A Few Names Along With The Design Cues

I know - you can't trust websites. I'm still looking for the workshop manual from GMH which listed the starfire' family' of motors. I had it when I was a grease monkey...

Oh and the Opel and Vauxhall were jointly developed by the Vauxhall design team. They are the same bloody car, with marketing level differences.In the end the the outcome was the joint Vauxhall & Opel OHV Programme.

VAUXHALL HA - VIVA

16. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Righto. One point at a time.

First. That article you attached is wrong. Simple as that. The Starfire appeared in late 1978 midway through the UC model. I've said it before and I'm right. That article is not. The Starfire did not appear in the LX. I'm old enough to remember when it was released with the Sunbird and I test drove a new one at the time. Obviously, my personal knowledge carries no weight on the net, so let me quote from my reference book "45 Years of Holden", which has been reprinted a few times over the years but is still relevant to all the Torana range. (As that web extract is from overseas (the US, I think), it's been put together by someone who knows very little about Torana's, yet you want to use it as support for your argument. Get a local information source, at least.)

UC Torana (March 1978 to April 1980)

"The four cylinder 1900 Opel engine and the six cylinder engine range were basically as before, with minor improvements. However, late in 1978 the Opel four gave way to the Starfire engine. It was released simultaneously with Sunbird SLE and was based on the 2850 (173) six cylinder with two fewer cylinders. It was the first Holden four-cylinder engine designed and built in Australia."

Now, your next point about the Torana being developed from an Opel rather than a Vauxhall. Let me quote again from the same reference.

HB Torana Series (May 1967 to September 1968)

"While the HB Torana was the first small Holden, it was not GM-H's first small car. It had already experienced manufacturing and marketing the Vauxhall HA Viva. When the HA was due to be replaced with the HB Viva in 1967, GM-H decided to increase the local content and badge it as a Holden."

It's pretty well known that the HB Torana was an Australianised HB Viva. You would have to be the only person I have ever encountered who thinks otherwise. And you are totally wrong.

Go and find some decent and accurate references and good luck finding a Starfire workshop manual but as I mentioned previously, the "Starfire family" comprises the UC, the VC and the VH. It wasn't released in the VB because that car was already substantially lighter than previous Holdens and it was thought that the small six would be sufficiently economical to eliminate the need for a four cylinder. Obviously, this thinking changed by the time the VC was released and the Starfire was eventually phased out during VH production because the Camira was introduced as the mid-size four cylinder car in 1982.

And this is supposed to be a thread about the next Monaro??? We sure have digressed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  17. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Tsu - I'll side with Calaber on this one.

18. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory.
    And some of us are old enough to remember when these things (the Torana Backfire Four ) were the latest and greatest.

19. Turtl3

Turtl3 New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Calais V8 International
    the front looks like a mash up of a camaro and a maserati...possibly a hint of merc in there aswell, the back looks like a crossfire mashed with a 370z

i dont mind the front but i certainly wouldnt be caught dead putting the monaro name against it

20. cello_g

cello_g New Member

Members Ride:
    MY11 SV6 VE 2 LLT
    According to an article I read the other day (will try and find and link it) GM have ruled out reusing the Monaro name, so it will never be a Monaro. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the car or its styling, looks like a thinly veiled Chinese knock off of the Mustang.

Why aren't we getting the Camaro exactly? Ford brought over the Mustang to replace the Falcon, why wouldn't GM bring over their sporty V8?