Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New System, Looking For More Info

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
lol.. problems just begun.
Generator - Portable stereo. Problem Solved.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Dude.. What?? If I was looking for a full system around $1000-$2000 mark then I might take that on board.

I want a sub and amp for around $400-$600, I want it to sound good and I want the bass to be hard and fast for my type of music. I want it to rattle my car and windows, I'm not trying to rattle my neighbours balls with bass. I'll more then likely build a box almost as big as the recommended max size, and so it still fits in my boot, if thats what I need to do. But I'm not going to get hell technical and start figuring out E=mc2 type **** just for a cheapish sub and amp haha

So, for around $400-$600 (cheapest bang for buck) what sub and amp do you recommend then? What size box should build for it? Give me them kind of technicals and we'll be working.
E=mc2 makes a cheapish sub sound good.
400-600 on a cheapish sub with a thoughtless box design equals what you already have.

The box it's in will make or break the setup. Fun_bucket knows what he is talking about (yes Fun, I did just type that:p), it's not his first rodeo and is making a solid point!

In reference to using a battery charger powered by a generator lends itself to a whole host of problems.

First off, your probably going to be taking out more power from the battery then what your able to put back in. So you charger is always going to be on. Considering the volume will have to be turned up higher to get over the sound of the generator. Then you need to factor in the amount of noise that will be most likely introduced into the system by the generator... unless you have a pure sine wave generator. Even then though... the charger could introduce the same noise for you.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
E=mc2 makes a cheapish sub sound good.
400-600 on a cheapish sub with a thoughtless box design equals what you already have.

The box it's in will make or break the setup. Fun_bucket knows what he is talking about (yes Fun, I did just type that:p), it's not his first rodeo and is making a solid point!

In reference to using a battery charger powered by a generator lends itself to a whole host of problems.

First off, your probably going to be taking out more power from the battery then what your able to put back in. So you charger is always going to be on. Considering the volume will have to be turned up higher to get over the sound of the generator. Then you need to factor in the amount of noise that will be most likely introduced into the system by the generator... unless you have a pure sine wave generator. Even then though... the charger could introduce the same noise for you.

Woah what? No.. Thats 2 different solutions haha portable batt charger, portable genny and a converter if you need to plug certain something's in. I've done it before and I've had no problems.

Ok let's restart this cause it seems like I know NOTHING about this ****..

I just want a the best sub and amp combo in a price range of lower then $600 not including materials for building a box ect..

Along with some ideas on sub and amps, I'd also like some recommendations on the box I should build for the sub I choose.

I would also like to know if I should upgrade my existing wiring to match that of the new setup.

My ultimate goal is to have a setup that will have hard hitting, tight and clear bass to suit music genres such as DnB, trance, hardstyle ect.. With quick bass lines.

In the cabin I want to feel the bass in my chest (if that makes sence), I want my mirrors to have the living hell vibrated out of them, maybe abit of interior flex? but not loud enough you can hear me from a street away.

Thats a really bad way of explaining what I want but I thought I explained it clearly before but I guess not.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
2 Kicker CVR's on eBay for $240 shipped from WA. I see as the best bang for the buck. Then a Hifonic's 1kw+ amp for under $300 or similar. This would be my choice (I know everyone will have different opinions but all he wants is someone to suggest him a sub and amp combo even though he probably wont listen to other advice) .

Then you design an enclosure for your type of music, changing the way It is built will change the way it sounds and what kind of music it plays best.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
If you want something loud and punchy then get an Alpine Type R (2ohm version) and a matching Alpine MRX-M110 amp. As for camping why don't use just use a HiFi system..

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Sounds like you just want something to doof around town in...

You're sacrificing music quality for cheap, dirty bass.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Street bass is fine, but your still not going to be happy with the small improvement for the money your spending. Most drivers around the same size / price, will sound pretty similar. You can put the same driver in very different enclosures though and get a very different sound.

Small drivers 12'' ect, aren't going to get you anywhere is a large car unless they are very high quality, the ones your looking at aren't.

This is what i am reccomending - IST Mach 5 IXL-18.2.2 18 Subwoofer [IXL-18.2.2] - $319.00 : Infrasonic it is good enough on it's own that you can just simply put it in a large sealed enclosure. Or you can build the sort of enclosure for it that will move everyone around you, it's up to you.

It's within your budget but you need to be willing to look outside the square, because it's a brand you haven't heard of, doesn't come from a car audio store, and none of your mates have one. You'll also have to be willing to take someone elses advice and follow it to a T.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Street bass is fine, but your still not going to be happy with the small improvement for the money your spending. Most drivers around the same size / price, will sound pretty similar. You can put the same driver in very different enclosures though and get a very different sound.

Small drivers 12'' ect, aren't going to get you anywhere is a large car unless they are very high quality, the ones your looking at aren't.

This is what i am reccomending - IST Mach 5 IXL-18.2.2 18 Subwoofer [IXL-18.2.2] - $319.00 : Infrasonic it is good enough on it's own that you can just simply put it in a large sealed enclosure. Or you can build the sort of enclosure for it that will move everyone around you, it's up to you.

It's within your budget but you need to be willing to look outside the square, because it's a brand you haven't heard of, doesn't come from a car audio store, and none of your mates have one. You'll also have to be willing to take someone elses advice and follow it to a T.

Would you recommend something like this to power it?
DS18 DS4000.1D Car Amplifier 40000W - ($298.85)RYDA Car Audio
If not, what do you recommend?

I took your information on board, somewhat, and went to a car audio shop this morning. The bloke recommended this:

Soundstream T5-15 15" 4ohm rated at 1000w RMS for $400

Kenwood (cant remember model) monoblock 900w RMS x 1 at 4ohm for $250

Do you think they are decent products and decent prices? If not, then I will just stick with your advice and try and grab one of the Mach 5IXL and see how it goes.

Hope you get back to me soon because this guy can do my car at 11AM but would like your input 1st.

Cheers.