Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Walkinshaw W407 Package coming soon

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
With these recent threads about bad tunes that I've read, I'm starting to wonder wether a generic tune (not that I'm in need of one) is a safer option. Might not be the absolute best, but I'd bet a generic tune from a company such as Walkinshaw would be a hell of a long way from the worst. Can't recall any threads on Walky packs being so bad that peeps are paying another 1k to have it retuned elsewhere, yet I've read a quite a few in regards to custom tune needing re doing. Could just come down to statistics of it all, in that the custom tunes outnumber generic 100 to 1, so you just dont hear/read about as many problems or unhappy customers.
On a price note, yes Walky packs are more expensive, but gee, the way for years people have hammered the price, you'd swear they were like 3 times it and personally offensive to those that can't afford it. I thought at most were talking like 50% more for any given goodie. To some people (not me) their bank balance wouldn't miss a blower and rebuild, so a thousand here or there, for this or that is like meh.
Walkinshaw owners are alright with me.....

The disenchantment for some about Walkinshaw is not just the price alone, it that they provide rebadged product then up the price.

It’s easy to understand the school of thought of why not purchase the exact same original equipment without the Walkinshaw added badge and save a bit of money.

As far as tunes go, all the good tuners also offer safe generic tunes for less than Walkinshaw.

Those owners who like to push the envelope will always go for a dyno tune specific for their cars to extract the most performance possible and a good tuner will make sure that tune doesn’t overstep the parameters and put the engine at risk.

These are the people that like to smoke expensive Walkinshaw enhanced cars for a cheaper price and that my friends is what the world of the car enthusiasts is about, those who play it safe and those who play harder and accept the consequences.

Anything mechanical is a risk from the manufacturer’s OEM setup to the modified, it’s your choice where you want to travel down that road.

Most owners who modify their cars don't have problems but of course human nature says you will hear from those that do.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
if you enjoyed the service you will tell someone..............................if you didn't enjoy the service you will tell everyone!

Its a personal thing some people like to pay more as in "Hey John i just bought a Commodore SS, thats great Trev is it stock? No i have spent 11 grand on it to make it better than the rest! good on you Trev"

Where as other people like to say " Hey Mike i got an SS with a tune and it goes like stink only cost me 6k for a catback, otr, tune and bump stick! it's f^&king awesome bang for your buck Kev"

So the moral of the story is if you are happy to pay a premium for Walkinshaw good luck to you if you go elsewhere good luck to you, everybody is happy :spot on:

Last edited:

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
I got the W375 upgrade n the generic flash tune is good enough for what i need : no issues whatsoever : but like i say " each to their own i guess " ☺

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
It's much louder on idle and it goes heaps better than the 375 package.. it just takes off at 3500 Revs. If you want a video of the idle email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to send you a video.

Mate, how do you find drivability with the cam, like does it want to surge and feel rough at idle ? Also do you find the exhaust any fumier ?

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
i saw a video and heard the cam, I too wonder how it would go for a daily and driving around the metro area. Also is it $10k for the 407 or $11k?

Hob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hey supercoach. It drives fine for a daily driver. It's actually my wife's car she takes the kids to school every day and we don't have a problem with it. The cost from stock was $11,800. Same people will say that's a ripoff some won't. I'm happy and that's all that counts.. I just got back from Queensland and I averaged 9.5 - 11 litres per 100 kph.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Hey supercoach. It drives fine for a daily driver. It's actually my wife's car she takes the kids to school every day and we don't have a problem with it. The cost from stock was $11,800. Same people will say that's a ripoff some won't. I'm happy and that's all that counts.. I just got back from Queensland and I averaged 9.5 - 11 litres per 100 kph.

manual or auto?

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
i saw a video and heard the cam, I too wonder how it would go for a daily and driving around the metro area. Also is it $10k for the 407 or $11k?

Hi SC this is the pricing for the 407 upgrade : if u go from the stock ls3 with less than 20000ks to the 407 it will cost 10k : if more than 20000 ks then 11k : if u go from the 375 to the 407 upgrade it will cost $4.8k hence y hob paid 11.8 k as he upgraded from the 375. : if u have more than 20000ks then add another $1k to the price : hope that clarifies things for u ☺

Hob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hey Hob,
Seeing you're in Melbourne, if you head down/up to SNL let me know, wouldn't mind having a look and listen.

Can anyone tell me if that SNL car show is on tonight. I was going to bring my SS down.