Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No anti-virus software? No internet connection

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I can not see what the problem is with having to have anti virus and firewall software on your computer before being able to have an internet account.

For those who have been around computers for some time, yes this is a bit of a slap in the face.
But you have to look at the bigger picture. There are many people that have never used the internet before.
Are these people just meant to know not to open certain attachments or what web sites are safe, not to mention how to guard their privacy if they leave their computer and net connection on for long periods of time.
Most firewall and anti virus programs will keep the majority of malware, Trojans, spy-ware, spam and even the lazy hacker out of the system.
I look at it this way, the less systems that are infected on the net, the more bandwidth the rest of us have to use.
For those running *nix it will cost nothing as the firewall software is free and there is no drams from viruses, but don't be completely complacent as there are many is always a way in.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Just goes to show he's not the only person with "Communications" in his name who's completely ****ing retarded.

No doubt, i dare these these loonies exist in both sides of politics.

Will be nice when we see a day where people who are qualified in an area are also in charge of said portfolios. Currently we have a lawyer union hack doing education and work reform, an arts graduate doing treasury, not sure what tanners quals are but no doubt it is irrelevant to finance.

It is nice to dream...

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
So one of the most prominent problems with the internet is a DoS attack. It's technically not a virus or software but can be as bad or worse. And now the govt. is going to be forcing ISPs to do blanket DoS sweeps. I laugh so much at the complete stupidity of the Labor Government........

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I can not see what the problem is with having to have anti virus and firewall software on your computer before being able to have an internet account.

For those who have been around computers for some time, yes this is a bit of a slap in the face.
But you have to look at the bigger picture. There are many people that have never used the internet before.
Are these people just meant to know not to open certain attachments or what web sites are safe, not to mention how to guard their privacy if they leave their computer and net connection on for long periods of time.
Most firewall and anti virus programs will keep the majority of malware, Trojans, spy-ware, spam and even the lazy hacker out of the system.
I look at it this way, the less systems that are infected on the net, the more bandwidth the rest of us have to use.
For those running *nix it will cost nothing as the firewall software is free and there is no drams from viruses, but don't be completely complacent as there are many is always a way in.

Youre kinda missing the bigger picture.

Its the fact the government can monitor what protection software you are using and cut you off. If they can monitor your antivirus, what else will they be monitoring?

Looking at the smaller picture, its still retarded. The government is intending to police the internet. Thats what they're trying to do, and they will fail.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Are these people just meant to know not to open certain attachments or what web sites are safe

Yes. Hence my suggestion for a licence to use a computer. If you're not smart enough to use it, you shouldn't be using it.

Actually, I think there should be a 'common sense' test, that is a prerequisite to licences for:
- Driving
- Using a computer
- Breeding
- The right to an opinion

The people commissioning the test would fail it though, so it'll never happen. Not to mention the other issues people will dream up.

sjmcc

Reaction score
Website
www.hawthornweightlifting.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Youre kinda missing the bigger picture.

Its the fact the government can monitor what protection software you are using and cut you off. If they can monitor your antivirus, what else will they be monitoring?

Looking at the smaller picture, its still retarded. The government is intending to police the internet. Thats what they're trying to do, and they will fail.

Too right. The government can't even Police the some 22 million odd people in Australia in a day-to-day tangible sense adequately, what makes them think they are up for the challenge of policing the internet?

No doubt, i dare these these loonies exist in both sides of politics.

Will be nice when we see a day where people who are qualified in an area are also in charge of said portfolios. Currently we have a lawyer union hack doing education and work reform, an arts graduate doing treasury, not sure what tanners quals are but no doubt it is irrelevant to finance.

It is nice to dream...

This is also a great point. I have met our current minister for sport, Kate Ellis. A very nice lady, well presented etc etc. Everything a politician should be. Only that her own website described her interests as "Children and Healthcare" just following the election.

It is having people in charge of portfolios they have absolutely no idea about that leads to absolute farces, such as the Sport funding issue of the last 12 months. Had Ms Ellis been someone who had some degree of kniowledge about sport the whole issue could have been avoided.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
so WHO voted for labour exactly because im getting sick of all this internet stuff, why dont they just leave it to ISP and not force them to do anything

Well, tons of people voted for them because of that broadband promise they made. Kind of a joke now that they're thinking about this kind of crap now isn't it. Oh the irony.

I'm kinda surprised we still have the internet anymore with ideas like this.