Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy lifters - LS3 - cold start.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Only certain parts of the tune are affected by in gear or park neutral. The main thing here is that it happens while ECT is below operating.
Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Strange no one else on here has this sound. Or, maybe they do?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I'd say it is on all with that OS version in the ECU, which is same since HSV 340 in 2013.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
When you let off throttle almost completely like just touching before shift occurs does it disappear for the moment car is changing gears?
Yes. Thats exactly what happens. Goes away when i start backing of the throttle and is quiet when between gears

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes. Thats exactly what happens. Goes away when i start backing of the throttle and is quiet when between gears
Well then, ta dah!!! it's a form of light burst knock, totally planned, totally under control.
You can tune it out but I wouldn't, neither will Holden.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Your a wizard, no doubt.
For my knowledge. Light burst knock? So fuel mix (AFR) is rich, timing advanced? But why would they program in knock? I would have thought the processor would be pulling timing out to reduce it? Or are you saying it's an accepted level of knock under light load only, with more timing used to have the motor preform better under cold, light throttle conditions?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
burst knock is predicted knock not actual knock, its just thinking under the conditions with what all the sensors say there could be potential knock so it takes a predetermined amount of spark out for a set crank deg count ect, for example i have mine almost removed because of the blower when it sees the rush of air it freaks out and takes timing out, it shouldnt be there under light load conditions tho

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
burst knock is predicted knock not actual knock, its just thinking under the conditions with what all the sensors say there could be potential knock so it takes a predetermined amount of spark out for a set crank deg count ect, for example i have mine almost removed because of the blower when it sees the rush of air it freaks out and takes timing out, it shouldnt be there under light load conditions tho
Explaining how retard when cold for cat light off, and cold engine noise reduction is brought back to normal offset by tricky transient mechanism deliberately advancing under startup load called launch spark.
This in turn is kept in line whilst cold with (burst?) retard shifting gears.
Like I said earlier you can zero all this tricky emissions and noise stuff out but once you know what it is and that's not car dying slowly coz pistons slapping and rocking, you can live with it. Else soundproof the bay.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Explaining how retard when cold for cat light off, and cold engine noise reduction is brought back to normal offset by tricky transient mechanism deliberately advancing under startup load called launch spark.
This in turn is kept in line whilst cold with (burst?) retard shifting gears.
Like I said earlier you can zero all this tricky emissions and noise stuff out but once you know what it is and that's not car dying slowly coz pistons slapping and rocking, you can live with it. Else soundproof the bay.
You seem like you know what you are talking about mate. Your explanation seems logically sound...I will take your word for it ... :) thanks bruz