Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

o2 sensors do they just die or get sick ?

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
so guys can any1 out there please tell me if an o2 sensor in a vs v6 can start sending wrong signals to the computer [more fuel consumption] or do they just die and u use a **** load of fuel all of a sudden . my car runs good i think it uses a bit to much fuel .[but i always think that] but the o2 sensors are original at 250 ooo km im just wondering if its worth replacing them or just leave em alone for now ? cheers muz

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
yeh would send wrong oygen signals and wont burn at the rite mix which means you would use more fuel,will still run if they die completely but will idle ruffer and use a lot more fuel,engine light should come on if there totaly stuffed,they should be changed every 100,000 klms..
you will notice a diference if you change them i did when i replaced mine.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
They dont normally just die, they slowly get more and more ineffective as they clog up with carbon and other **** from the exhaust. If you suspect you have factory o2 sensors on 250,000kms, change them immediately.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I changed mine at 200,000 klms and found my around town economy increased only slightly whilst my highway cruising improved by at least 20%. At a cost of $110 for the pair they are worth it in my opinion if you are planning on keeping the car for a year or so....otherwise you could be spending money for someone else's benefit.

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
ok guys thanks for the advice one other thing on ebay the have vs o2 sensors for sale but some are 4 wire and some are 2 .mines a 97 vs so it should be 4 wires apparently but can any1 confirm this at all ? cheers again guys

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
ok guys thanks for the advice one other thing on ebay the have vs o2 sensors for sale but some are 4 wire and some are 2 .mines a 97 vs so it should be 4 wires apparently but can any1 confirm this at all ? cheers again guys

I would say 4, but only way ur gonna confirm 100% if its 4 wire or not, is to check the pigtail connector where your existing sensors plug in. does it have 4 wires going into it or two?

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
im pretty sure the 95 model vs is 2 wire,and 97 model is the 4 wire,if you wanna know for sure jack it up and see how many wires run from it,unless you can see it from the engine bay then even better :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Mine is 97 series 2 and had the 4 wire (2 sensors)....and mine were from Ebay. You will find the plug is 4 wire...holdencple is correct. When you change them do it when the exhaust is still hot as it makes them easier to unscrew.

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
i got mine replaced this year. it stopped the random engine light from going off. i also found the engine to be running much better and smoother. and much better economy.