Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLEASE HELP!! VE SSV- o2 sensor codes after being replaced.

Benny ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi guys first time posting so go easy. I know this is a common issue discussed but am having slightly different symptoms from what I can find.
Rundown: I have recently purchased a 2011 ve ssv Ute with 220xxxkm full service history clean Ute has stage4 cam package from nt performance which obviously included mafless tune, full x force twin exhaust and all that would generally go along with it. As of recent I was getting check engine light, ran diagnostics and had bad o2 sensor bank1 sensor 2 I had this replaced and codes wiped car was fine for a few days untill code reappeared although this time I could really tell something was up as engine was sluggish when shifting up high and occasionally stalling when reversing or putting in drive. Again got diagnostics done showing same o2 sensor and maf sensors fault (I am now aware that maf fault will alwase come up but won’t cause a code) since then car is very temperamental sometimes runs fine sometimes sluggish but code is always coming back a day or two after clearing it, best way to describe would be its asif it’s not getting correct air fuel ratios? I’m not sure what my next steps should be and currently am just wiping codes every few days myself, do I need to get it retuned to turn off sensors? Cat converter? I got no clue??! I love the Ute it’s tough when it’s running well but these little headaches become major concern and frustration as I’m not mechanically minded as I’m sure a lot of you guys are so please help me out if possible..

WitiTune

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Senator
What is the actual code number? There is multiple codes that relate to Bank 1 Sensor 2. Posible causes can include vaccum leak, bad injectors, failing cat converter, bad wiring to sensor, failing ecu etc.

First step to accuratley diagnose is to get an actual code number and description, followed by reviewing some live data.

To turn rear 02s off would require removal of the cats and retune. However if there is an underlying issue that is anything other than the wiring to that 02 sensor or a failed cat converter doing this will not fix your issue.

Benny ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
What is the actual code number? There is multiple codes that relate to Bank 1 Sensor 2. Posible causes can include vaccum leak, bad injectors, failing cat converter, bad wiring to sensor, failing ecu etc.

First step to accuratley diagnose is to get an actual code number and description, followed by reviewing some live data.

To turn rear 02s off would require removal of the cats and retune. However if there is an underlying issue that is anything other than the wiring to that 02 sensor or a failed cat converter doing this will not fix your issue.
Thanks for the response mate. I will get code number and post tomorrow.
Also last time I had mechanic read live data (called into mechanics to have him have quick look and wipe code) and he said all sensors were working as should be, all are getting correct readings and fluctuations that was after the sensor was replaced, before replacement the faulty sensor wasn’t reading anything and when we took it out it was accually bent which he had never seen before..
So we assumed that would defenatly be the issue..obviously I now know that’s not the only issue unfortunately. Also am I right to say If it was anything major or that will do damage driving it would be giving more codes then the o2? My hvac actuators are stuffed aswell that wouldn’t be cause for the code would it? Again appreciate the help mate!!

WitiTune

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Senator
Thanks for the response mate. I will get code number and post tomorrow.
Also last time I had mechanic read live data (called into mechanics to have him have quick look and wipe code) and he said all sensors were working as should be, all are getting correct readings and fluctuations that was after the sensor was replaced, before replacement the faulty sensor wasn’t reading anything and when we took it out it was accually bent which he had never seen before..
So we assumed that would defenatly be the issue..obviously I now know that’s not the only issue unfortunately. Also am I right to say If it was anything major or that will do damage driving it would be giving more codes then the o2? My hvac actuators are stuffed aswell that wouldn’t be cause for the code would it? Again appreciate the help mate!!
If the mechanic that read them knows what they are looking at with the 02 voltages (alot of people do not know how to accurately understand 02 voltages) and your previous sensor failed due to damage it is possible the cat converter has failed, it could be blocking the exhaust causing your performance issues at higher rpm, and a piece of the broken converter may be what led to the damage on the previous 02 sensor.

I would expect to see some like b1s2 catalyst efficiency below threshold (i cant remember the exact number off my head something like a P0420 or P0421). If that is the case I would suggest pulling the cat out and inspecting the inside, if it is damaged it will likely be rattling around and pieces will fall out when you shake it.

This is however just a guess based on the information you provided, you need to check it out before buying parts, diagnostic dice is an expensive game

Benny ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Okay mate thanks heaps for such a detailed rundown I should have posted on here sooner would have saved myself the headache over last 2 weeks! I will get diagnostics run again tommorow and post the codes and see if it lines up with what you’re thinking so far with what I could provide. Fingers crossed for tommorow!! As I’m sure you will either have good or bad news for me haha!

Mickyinks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve hsv senator
If you are running a mafless tune , you wont be using rear o2 sensors and you will have a code maf failed.
Are you sure your mafless tuned?

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Running a full after market exhaust will usually mean that high flow cats have been installed. This will render both banks rear O2 sensors (sensor 2) useless as they will be constantly reading outside of efficiency range, they need to be turned off in the tune as they are not there to affect the tune, merely to report on how well the cats are performing, it is very common practice. Sounds like the tune may need a little touching up with the issues that you describe, have you taken it to the original tuner for a look?

Benny ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Running a full after market exhaust will usually mean that high flow cats have been installed. This will render both banks rear O2 sensors (sensor 2) useless as they will be constantly reading outside of efficiency range, they need to be turned off in the tune as they are not there to affect the tune, merely to report on how well the cats are performing, it is very common practice. Sounds like the tune may need a little touching up with the issues that you describe, have you taken it to the original tuner for a look?
I have thort about taking it back for a retune I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing els it could potentially be I’m hoping to run diagnostics again today and post to wititune as he may be able to give further insight to exact issues.. is it a common problem from some tuners that they either forget or just don’t know to turn them off?? Thanks for the help guys much appreciated!

Mickyinks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve hsv senator
So if its mafless your bank 1 sensor 2 isnt in use so will show a fault code and your maf will show a code.
Something else is going on