Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD Readers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
After screwing around with it i found...

It will perform all the diagnostic and reset functions without the need for a subscription via gds2.

It works with a tds subscription and works with sps as a passthru tool to program/configure modules, add keys, update firmware etc.

I updated my mylink software on the zb as a test to verify it works.

20210128-160246.jpg

The problem with it is i cannot get it to read vehicle info on anything but the virtual machine that i downloaded from their site.
I tried win 10 32 and 64 and win 7 32 and 64 on my spare laptop and in vmware and none of them worked.
The only thing that work was their vm image which is locked in snspshot/sandbox mode so none of the changes you make in the vm persist through reboot and you need to install a bunch of updates to get it to work so you cant do anything that requires a reboot and you can only suspend the vm.
If you power it off you will have to start from scratch again.

If you are not computer savvy this tool is not for you unless we can find a way to get it to work without their vm image.
I will keep playing around with it in my spare time to see if i can find a solution.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

It will perform all the diagnostic and reset functions without the need for a subscription via gds2.

It works with a tds subscription and works with sps as a passthru tool to program/configure modules, add keys, update firmware etc.

20210128-160246.jpg

The problem with it is i cannot get it to read vehicle info on anything but the virtual machine that i downloaded from their site.
I tried win 10 32 and 64 and win 7 32 and 64 on my spare laptop and in vmware and none of them worked.
The only thing that work was their vm image which is locked in snspshot/sandbox mode so none of the changes you make in the vm persist through reboot and you need to install a bunch of updates to get it to work so you cant do anything that requires a reboot and you can only suspend the vm.

If you are not computer savvy this tool is not for you unless we can find a way to get it to work without their vm image.
I will keep playing around with it in my spare time to see if i can find a solution.

You may have already discovered it, but have you seen the reviews on the Amazon website? There are some reviewers who have kindly posted some step by step instructions on the installation process, what to update, and a few tips on what not to do. They report that the interface does work and is very good value for money - but it can be extremely difficult to initially get it installed and working properly.

https://www.amazon.com.au/VXDIAG-Te...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

20210128-160246.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'm not that computer savvy, getting too old.
Would still like to find a 'stand alone' solution, but not sure of it being a possibility.
I've read plenty of reviews of the VX Diag and Bosch MDI clones, but all the successful installs are by people who really know computers.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
You may have already discovered it, but have you seem the reviews on the Amazon website? There are some reviewers who have kindly posted some step by step instructions on the installation process, what to update, and a few tips on what not to do. They report that the interface does work and is very good value for money - but it can be extremely difficult to initially get it installed and working properly.

https://www.amazon.com.au/VXDIAG-Te...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Yeah i have looked around and you will find most of peoples posts are about the tech2 emulator part of it and getting that to work.

For the 2014+ holdens we need gds2 not tech 2

My next step is to dig out an old laptop from 2010 and try win7 32 on that but i dont have great hope for it.

clappa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS11 Redline
Wicked write up Stooge!! Whilst I am tech savvy, am no where near the type to be able to spin up VM's to make something like this work.
I think i have an old Win 7 machine, but i assume for updates it would need to be connected to the internet....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think i have an old Win 7 machine, but i assume for updates it would need to be connected to the internet....
Seems you need to have a stand alone non internet connected PC just to be able to safely run some apps... By safely, I don’t mean to be protected from a virus perspective, I mean to be protection from a businesses who thinks they know better than you as to what you choose to have loaded on your PC :eek:

Just the other day I went to run a flash based service manual I have (for another brand of car) and it wouldn't work. Seems Adobe don’t support flash as they decided it’s EOL, a.k.a. no more updates. Fair enough, but they don’t no need to also remove old flash player software from their website (for those like me who still have a need for it) :(

And why do I need to download flash, cause Microsoft in their stupid wisdom think they know better than me as to what legacy software I want to have loaded on my PC... So those pricks known as M$ removed flash on my win 7 and 2x win 10 PCs via the shitty update system I can’t control any longer.... Pricks that tney do such on my property.... Really how can this even be legal... :mad:

Now that previously very good service manual in now just a waste of disk space unless I can find a clean flash player from somewhere trustworthy :mad:

So if you want your PC to run the apps you’ve loaded, it seems M$ operating systems and internet connection is simply not for you...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
ok i sorted out the issue that was causing the vxdiag to not communicate with the vehicle.
they are not providing the correct redist package for their updated driver, they are installing 2010 but it needs 2012.

you can run it on win7 32/64 or win10 32/64 and if it does not let you select and connect to the MDI 2 device you need to install
Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 x86 make sure you install the x86 version.

after that it will work without a vm and communicate with the vehicle.

remember to select the MDI 2 in the list and not the vxdiag that shows up.

selected
devsel.jpg

connected
devcon.jpg

i tested it on both win7 and 10 and in a vm to make sure and installing the 2012 x86 redist fixed it on them all.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@stooge, now that you got it communicating/working, does it do everything you expected of it?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
@stooge, now that you got it communicating/working, does it do everything you expected of it?

yes it works like a dealer level mdi with gds2 to allow full dealer level diagnostics and also works with a tds subscription which allows module programming like adding keys, firmware updates etc.

out of the box it has the gds2 diagnostic packages included for gm (holdens) between 2014 and 2020 and the tech 2 emulator(tech2win) for holdens before that.

a tds subscription for programming/updates costs $55 for 2 years for 1 vin

for $200 it is not a bad buy.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
yes it works like a dealer level mdi with gds2 to allow full dealer level diagnostics and also works with a tds subscription which allows module programming like adding keys, firmware updates etc.

out of the box it has the gds2 diagnostic packages included for gm (holdens) between 2014 and 2020 and the tech 2 emulator(tech2win) for holdens before that.

a tds subscription for programming/updates costs $55 for 2 years for 1 vin

for $200 it is not a bad buy.

Thanks for the great info!

Reactions: Lex