Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Occasional engine light

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nup I now have error 24 which is speed sensor. Other code is 38 but maybe the flashing on the CEL is looking like a 3 and an 8 but might actually an 83, which is I believe torque converter. I am losing faith in this paperclip method, it's difficult to read. Because if I am getting an 83 then all the other codes are wrong but I know they are not.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He's booked out for three months. I need to sort the speed sensor myself. Can't run around without a speedo.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Im gonna either get a scan done next week or buy the scan tool, when they get in more stock. I will look into the TC brake sensor issue once i confirm the code is 83 and not 38.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I know this is not pactical or helpful, but how many mirrors have you driven through /broken in your ute, because at the moment you're just not copping a break!!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Surprised how much shite this thing causes compared to the $900 eyesore vp ute.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know this is not pactical or helpful, but how many mirrors have you driven through /broken in your ute, because at the moment you're just not copping a break!!

I know right....... Been thinking about the speed sensor and I was poking around looking working out how many wires were on my O2 sensor. I noticed someone has joined the cable going to the speed sensor using a blue joiner. I wonder if I have dislodged it by feeling around there. Heading home after work tomorrow to my house with the shed and pit. Plan was to finish the paint on the veranda rafters ready for the builder in two weeks time to come and help me roof it. Looks like I have to clean up the shed and get underneath the ute and see if I have a faulty speed sensor or just a broken wire. Over half of the issues on this ute have been caused by cowboys, who have just dodged it up which means now a few years later I am having to redo the dodgy work because it hasn't lasted. That cable to the speed sensor should have been soldered and covered in shrink tube not a shty blue joiner. May have been ok if he had used a red one as it might have gripped better. Hopefully the sensor is ok because they are around $120 for a new one.

Really starting to think I need a donor even if I can only get a sedan at a decent price. I still have a few broken or dodgy plugs that need to be replaced in the engine bay. No idea if the DFI and coils have been replaced before but they will be next....

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, unfortunately for losh1971, I read this and don't feel as bad with mine ( but can appreciate the frustration) .
I need to do stuff and sort issues with mine and have been slack in doing so
but am fortunate to both have other transport ( bikes) and weather's been good so using and enjoying said use , therefore maloo's only had about 200km put on it in the last 2 months .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Surprised how much shite this thing causes compared to the $900 eyesore vp ute.

Issue is that cheap-arse previous owners who have just fixed things for the cheapest way possible and now I'm paying the price. Fortunately the ute is pretty cheap on parts on the most part compared to a few other cars I have owned in the past. But it does make you feel like you paid too much once you get a chance to work out how much sht is wrong with it, which is hard when you go for a quick drive and pop the bonnet in the sellers home, you can't check everything that could possibly be stuffed...

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
should have been soldered and covered in shrink tube not a shty blue joiner
why over the years I've found heaps more broken solder joints in engine bays than pulled out crimp links personally I don't like soldiered joints in the engine bay seen too many break