Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
I’ve been hearing a bit of conflicting advice regarding this bit of kit (in new to the world of mods), but I’ve seen a few people come across blown seals and such though mainly in much high output cars than myself (2015 VF SS).

Just hoping for some advice on their relevance for a stock build that’s soon to get some decent mods (but staying naturally aspirated), and it seemed like for the cost/time vs benefit ratio, it might be a cheaper and worthy investment to promote better engine performance and life.

Let me know what you think friends.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's a waste of time on a N/A holden. The factory breather system works fine.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I’d do it mate LS engines seem to pump the oil into the intake, it’s better going into a catch can and if someone is having issues blowing seals then it must be hooked up incorrectly

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I’d do it mate LS engines seem to pump the oil into the intake, it’s better going into a catch can and if someone is having issues blowing seals then it must be hooked up incorrectly

There's nothing wrong with a slight film of oil in the intake. Turbo cars always have oil in the intake system.
Diesels have issues with intake oil clogging up due to the EGR system which is not an issue on a V8 holden engine.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I have one plumbed in purely due to OCD, without one my intake tract gets filthy over the space of 5k km

With one, my intake stays clean, typically I'm draining no more than 100-150ml of oil every 5k km

Since installing I've not needed to clean my throttle body

If you do, remember it is best to keep it plumbed into the intake, and not vent it through a filter, there are many reasons for this, legalities, no blowby scavenging, reduced under bonnet grime, smell, condensation not filling the can

What you want is a can that acts as an oil/air separator, this can be achieved in a few ways, cyclonic flow, change of direction, or a media to name a few

I have a SAAS can on my LS1, I have also added some fuel foam between the top baffles

ST1012.jpg

This is also one of those hot topics

Opinions may vary

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Posted below in another thread, it may be of interest to you ;)

Also thinking of a catch can after reading this and watching the video within

(The interesting statement within the article is that manufacturers don’t install such as a
standard because they don’t trust most owners would service them appropriately)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Posted below in another thread, it may be of interest to you ;)

Also thinking of a catch can after reading this and watching the video within

(The interesting statement within the article is that manufacturers don’t install such as a
standard because they don’t trust most owners would service them appropriately)

That statement is false. Some manufactures do like BMW on the E46. The BMW separator has a sump drain back so never requires service.
They're simply not needed on unleaded petrol cars.
Why they aren't on diesel engines with EGR I will never know, but modern engine oils seem to deal with EGR sludeging better these days.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@shane_3800, did you read the article... it’s on an American e-rag for GM LS owners ;)

In that context of cheaply built gm V6’s & V8’s, where many owners have a mindset of drive them till they die, I do suspect a manufacturer would indeed be concerned with lack of owner servicing of a 10 cent cheap non self draining catch can :p It’s gm after all, not BMW whose owners would take there car in to have a blown park globe changed for $100 :eek:

I suspect that a catch can would help owners of a gm direct injected V6 as it will delay carbon buildup on the back of inlet valves. A catch can would also likely help those with port injected V6 and may even avoid fcuked up chains.

It may be that catch cans are not needed on well designed PCV systems but gm’s engines are known for some deficiencies in this areas, so to say they are “simply not needed on unleaded petrol cars” is too broad.

Like you I wonder why catch cans are not standard fair of diesels, other than to say vehicle manufacturers are cheaparsepricks that would save a few dollars per car knowing it may cost the owner 1000’s in the long run...