Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil change before 15,000kms?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
If the aero plate you're talking about on your VF is similar to the VE (both SV6 and HSV are very similar), the 5 bolts a 2 minute job to remove and replace. On the HSV, you need to take this off to get the the oil filter. No biggie

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
To answer the question on page one(not relevant, but will do it anyway), Western Star engine would hold between 38-42lts
of oil, and run at least 2 large oil filters.
No real comparison with a car engine though. As stated, oil and filters are the cheapest thing you can do to an engine.
I would want to get the 1st lot of oil out as quick as possible, then no more than 10,000ks for me.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I would like to change the oil at 7500kms...but that plate under the engine is a problem....you have to undo 5 or so bolts to access the drain plug and remove the plate and reinstall...seeing it is 9 months/15000kms oil changes and to keep it under warranty I will go the 3 years....but after that I was going to cut a wide slot in that plate so you could access the drain plug without removing the aero plate...any thoughts on this.

Really, you cant undo 5 screws? It takes literally 30 seconds with a socket set.

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
how is easy it to change the oil with the car jack the car comes with on my VF V6 CalaisV also how much oil would i need and are the oil filters easy to get at

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
how is easy it to change the oil with the car jack the car comes with on my VF V6 CalaisV also how much oil would i need and are the oil filters easy to get at
Do you have jack stands? Never ever ever get under a car sitting only on a jack. Ramps are the easiest. refer to your manual for oil capacity, but if its like the VE - SIDI 3.6l, its 6.7 I think ...

Use the search button to find out details on the oil filter location on the top of the engine under the engine cover

whitey5759

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Thanks to all for the awesome feedback. Im swayed by the yays so im gonna do a change, genuine oil filter and that dexion certified penrite sound like the way to go! Like alot have said - cheap insurance.

Woolli

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Maloo R8 SV
Thanks to all for the awesome feedback. Im swayed by the yays so im gonna do a change, genuine oil filter and that dexion certified penrite sound like the way to go! Like alot have said - cheap insurance.

I realise this is an older thread, but felt that I would use my first post to mention the following.
A few years ago I met a gentleman who was the General Manager of one of the big two Aussie manufacturers, Brisbane-based plants. The plant is long gone, but he gave interesting insights into the constant tussle between the engineering and marketing departments.

The subject of servicing intervals came up, and he explained that the engineering department would consistently want oil and filter changes occurring at 5000-7000km's, whereas the marketing department would prefer 20000. Engineers understood that fluids are the lifeblood of an engine, but the marketing department understood that servicing costs are an important consideration in a purchasers' decision making process.

The two departments would often tussle over the final figures, and inevitably the chosen interval would be a compromise between the two.
I never forgot those words.

I also met the Australian head of a large Japanese fishing equipment manufacturer at a conference, and the subject of quality and warranty came up. I mentioned that a major U.S. manufacturer offers a five year warranty on their reels and asked why his company didn't do the same. His response was that the five year warranty was a disaster from a business model perspective. His company's strategy was to make sure that the reel lasted just long enough so that the owner felt that he'd had a fair run, AND that he enjoyed ownership of the product enough that he would purchase another of the same brand.

My point is that unlike days of old, it is not in a modern manufacturer's interests to make a product last forever. You can be sure that it was not an engineering department who thought that "sealed for life" was a good idea.

I vote for more frequent fluid and filter changes.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
That's a pretty cool story and all, but modern engines last a frickin' looooooooong time when maintained.

Also it's common knowledge that engineers like to overdo everything so the balance point is probably the right point in the long run IMO.

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
The way I see it, theres no harm in doing additional oil changes (or servicing) over the life of your engine. There is however a chance of harm when the regular servicing is not performed.

I understand that that sticking to the recommended service times mean Holden can guarantee the engine will be ok, but I dont want it to just be ok. I want it to be at its best!

Woolli

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Maloo R8 SV
That's a pretty cool story and all, but modern engines last a frickin' looooooooong time when maintained.

Also it's common knowledge that engineers like to overdo everything so the balance point is probably the right point in the long run IMO.

Agreed, however the use of blanket figures concerns me a little. 15k spent in traffic is a very different thing to 15k of highway use. Similarly, 200k on an under-stressed Toyota 4wd engine is very different to the same mileage in a more highly stressed LS3.
At the end of the day, the only way to be sure is to conduct an oil analysis. The condition of additives and the presence of wear indicators gives a valuable insight into the overall health of the oil and the engine. I send mine off to Roktec. A couple of weeks later I receive a full report. Removes the guesswork...